Infection Control in the Maelor Hospital

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Infection Control in the Maelor Hospital

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Maelor Hospital today asking everyone to wear a mask and sanitizer their hands. Everyone using the same hand held bottle is not a good idea. At the entrance to outpatients a member of staff holds the sanitiser and dispenses onto each persons hands. Auto dispensers are needed at the entrance to Maelor Hospital or keep the member of staff that hands out masks and sanitizer early in the mornings there all day!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Wre view, your latest post is virtually identical to the one posted 2 weeks or so ago.
    Just read this, close your eyes and think.

Pick up the bottle
    Squeeze sanitiser onto your hand
    Replace bottle onto table
    Rub hands together to distribute solution
    Et voila….. hands sanitised.
    Got it now?

Matt
    Participant

To be fair, I walked into the hospital main entrance the other day and thought that considering this was the number 1 place in Wrexham that we want any risk of Covid to be limited to the extreme that it would be a wise idea to have no touch sanitisers.

I prefer the stuff they use in hospitals (to my knowledge the same stuff they’ve always used on the wards) to the horrible goop slime you have to put on your hands in some supermarkets.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Quite frankly, I simply don’t give a toss how sanitiser is dispensed as long as it’s effective.
    It seems rather perverse that the only comments that some people post are critical in their nature regarding BCUHB rather than being supportive of their efforts.
    It strikes me that certain individuals need to get a hobby.

Matt
    Participant

This is a heavily opinion based discussion forum where people chiefly come on with the purpose to have a good moan about things they don’t like going on in town and county.

I’ve previously called for the whole management structure of Betsi to be replaced as in recent years there have just been so many failings in healthcare provision across this part of Wales and an ever increasing financial black hole.

However my criticism is reserved specifically for that level of our local healthcare system. Based on all of my interactions and experiences in the Maelor (usually as a visitor or support for someone in my family) I cannot fault the level of quality and dedication of the staff who work there and even the volunteers. It’s clear that everyone there has to work incredibly hard and try their best to help everyone out, and overall as a nation we take the NHS for granted. They are only interested in the best possible health outcome for any of their patients. Doctors and nurses certainly deserved more than claps for dealing this pandemic and hopefully this will be recognised once this is all over.

wrexview
    Participant

So for the second time during this pandemic the patients in the Maelor Hospital are acquiring covid while they are in the hospital, as of today there are 49 patients with hospital caught covid. How has this happened again? What precautions need to be implemented to avoid this outbreak escalating further.

BenjaminM
    Participant

wrexview, your repeated criticism of the Maelor is quite frankly becoming tiresome.
    Without exception, you jump on any article posted on wrexham.com news section, ask a question and then fail to register an opinion.
    For your info, only 5% of Covid cases are hospital acquired, 95% from within the community.
    Darren Hughes- director of Welsh NHS Confederation said “Occasionally you do have staff who are asymptomatic with Covid or patients who are asymptomatic, even though all possible actions are being taken to….prevent the spread, occasionally these things do happen”
    I have faith that ALL hospitals in Wales and beyond are doing their utmost to minimise transmission of the disease, even whilst coping with large numbers so affected.
    Perhaps rather than questioning, you could provide a meaningful solution to the problem – I’m sure they would welcome your considered input. In addition, perhaps you could advise the Welsh Government what additional measures they should implement to reduce community spread.

JaneJ
    Participant

Benjamin agree with your sentiment — however not sure on your 5% calculation- the definition of an Outbreak is when an infection occurs within a defined location so the 49 referred to by Dr Clarke would mean acquired within the hospital. The total number of patients in the Maelor with Covid is likely to be a lot higher as those who have gone in from the community with the infection will not be part of the 49.

Dr Kate Clark, Acting Deputy Executive Medical Director, said: “As of this morning there are currently 49 COVID-19 cases associated with the outbreak at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.”

Regarding solutions – one would be to come up with a vaccine that can boost common sense for all those people who still think Covid is not a real threat and carry on going around in groups or having parties and then putting others at risk.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The 5% figure for hospital related transmission of Covid 19 is not an arbitrary figure, it is a direct lift of the information published by Public Health Wales on the 21st October 2020.

JaneJ
    Participant

Benjamin that was the first Outbreak period data the reference now is to the second one that is currently occurring.

https://www.olddailypostlink.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronavirus-cases-wrexham-maelor-hospital-19320801

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News

Free Easter Egg Hunt in Wrexham city centre tomorrow!

News