Independent OR ?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Independent OR ?

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

I am concerned with WCBC having so many so called Independent Councillors.

If there were no Independent Candidate in a General Election in Wrexham which there hasn’t been, who would the present Independent Councillors in Wrexham vote for?

Surely the electorate should know beforehand which way their candidate is leaning. At the present time in Wrexham we have two lines of Independents, and somehow they all support the same issues.

Could it be that candidates should represent a major party with a portfolio rather than the present system we have in Wrexham.

I am convinced that we would get better service from a changed system than the one we are presently under.

Council Watcher
    Participant

In Wrexham, we have a situation were many prospective Councilors at the time of an election put themselves forward as Independents yet if successful they then join a Group – for one simple reason – to try and get a Chairs on Scrutiny or on the Executive. Self-benefit!!
    If these so-called Independent Council Members actually wanted to be in a Group they should then at least come together to have a’manifesto’ that reflects the direction they want to move Wrexham. Currently, they can change direction on a whim the same as the wind.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=148616]In Wrexham, we have a situation were many prospective Councilors at the time of an election put themselves forward as Independents yet if successful they then join a Group – for one simple reason – to try and get a Chairs on Scrutiny or on the Executive. Self-benefit!!
    If these so-called Independent Council Members actually wanted to be in a Group they should then at least come together to have a’manifesto’ that reflects the direction they want to move Wrexham. Currently, they can change direction on a whim the same as the wind.[/quote]

Seconded! Couldn’t have put it better myself. I think that only genuinely independent councillors should be able to label themselves as such and the non-major party aligned groupings need different names and also should produce a manifesto before the election. That way, even if they say, we plan to reign in budget spending and make cuts and austerity across the board then they have to state this. Would be interesting to see if anyone would be willing to vote for all cuts and no positives.

Mike Davies
    Participant

For information, there are 2 Independent Councillors in Wrexham who are not affiliated to either group. :-)

Council Watcher
    Participant

Apologies Mike at least you and Ronnie have remained true to your electorate stance.

jimbow
    Participant

Just out of interest Mike do you know if the Bithell and Pritchard Independent Groups have separate party meetings to discuss which way they propose to support ? Both sets of Independents come across as being on the same wavelength.

Mike Davies
    Participant

Jimbow, whilst I am not privy to their group activities. I believe the 2 groups meet up occasionally to discuss issues. I don’t know if they meet up in 2 groups or 1 big group though. Maybe a bit of both. I don’t really have a problem with people getting together in groups but I don’t really understand why there are 2 Independent groups if they decide to work as a coalition. I would think it would be better if there were two groups to have a broadly left leaning group and a broadly right leaning group. If that makes sense.

jimbow
    Participant

Thanks for that Mike. I just cannot believe that all the 24 Independent Group Councillors, are all of the same opinion on every topic that needs a vote to be taken on.

Council Watcher
    Participant

You only need to see the body language at some meetings to realise that the two Independent Group Leaders personally apper to retract from each other like the poles of a magnet. Cllrs Pritchard and Bithell are known to have their personal power spates.
    Two Groups equals two Leaders and two Deputies — it is a way of making sure that more Cllrs get roles.
    There may be an Executive that always (except for the recent Bill Baldwin opt-out) vote the same but to get to this point often has a lot of behind closed door meetings between the two Leaders

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News