Illegal Workers Caught On Wrexham Car Washes

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Illegal Workers Caught On Wrexham Car Washes

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

@feedshallow 10577 wrote:

A polite ‘no thank you’ normally does the trick. But as a matter of interest where is the report you quote re Kosovans and Iranians being ‘caught working?
    If you could quote your sources I would be interested in reading the report. Are they,in fact, ‘illegal workers as your thread title suggest?
    To start your post with the word ‘apparently’ suggests hard evidence was lacking and your source was ‘a bloke in the pub’.
    Please prove me wrong.

Welcome to the forums BTW, didn’t notice you were a new member yesterday.

Still don’t see why someone should be happy to have to constantly refuse something they don’t want? Some people don’t like to be put in this position so avoid places where they feel this is likely to happen. Sainsbury’s obviously feel this is acceptable for allowing this practice on their car park. My wife is not the type of person to complain, she just stopped shopping there.

I can think of another hand car wash in Wrexham, the guys working there do not look anything like the ones Rondetto described and they are outside cleaning cars all day as well. Also if you want your car washing there you drive in by your own choice.

Source of story:

The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Illegal workers found at businesses in Wrexham and Holywell

feedshallow
    Participant

Just found the report as you were posting your reply. It seems the immigration authorities have a successful case. I only replied to your initial post as there are too many unpleasant posts that start with ‘apparently’ or ‘ I was told that….’ usually they are wrong and mostly with a racist undertone. A lot of Wrexham people complain about the ‘ influx of foreigners ‘ forgetting the waves of Polish and Italian migrants we’ve had in the past. Wrexham has again become a multicultural town with a more vibrant and exciting feel. It does seem a shame the people arrested this week were illegal WORKERS and not illegal benefits cheats. The are a few indigenous Wrexhamites who fall into the latter rather than the former category.

Metalhead
    Participant

@feedshallow 10579 wrote:

I only replied to your initial post as there are too many unpleasant posts that start with ‘apparently’ or ‘ I was told that….’ usually they are wrong and mostly with a racist undertone.

This one is based on fact and I’m not a bigot or a racist. Are you suggesting that a post reporting an event of this kind should simply be swept under the carpet because those who committed this crime originated from countries outside of the UK? The fact is that this is wrong and the huge fines these operators are now facing shows that.

Darlofan
    Participant

@Metalhead 10551 wrote:

Apparently a Kosovan guy was caught working on the site at Tesco’s car park this week & 2 Iranians on the one at Sainsbury’s. My wife actually stopped shopping at Sainsbury’s a while ago as she doesn’t like the way these workers constantly approach you, she finds it quite intimidating.

I’m surprised it’s taken this long to discover that to be honest.

As for using them i wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole with a chamois leather on the end. Have you seen the colour of the water used? It baffles me how people will spend tens of thousands on a car and then let someone rub sand, grit and got knows what all over it. Might as well get a Brillo pad out and scratch your car yourself.

As for intimidated by them i wouldn’t agree with that. I go there regularly and a polite no thanks and that’s it, never get any hassle and they’re always polite.

johnhoppy
    Participant

When I visit a supermarket I go there to go shopping. I DO NOT want my car washed. I go to an established car wash to get it washed or do it myself. I don’t find these people intimidating, but I don’t want to be bothered by them either. If I found myself to be pestered every time I went shopping I would change my regular supermarket. I can’t really understand why the supermarkets encourage this type of activity in their car parks, which takes business away from established businesses. (But there again the supermarkets have built their businesses on stealing custom from local established shops!!)

Whitevanman
    Participant

I’m not being funny but what would you rather an illegal immigrant who yes may look a bit scruffy but is going out in all weathers washing cars trying to earn a living ok it may bit be an honest one, but still it’s a bit more honest than some people you see outside the job center dressed in designer clothes and stealing or working on the side whilst claiming tax payers money, people who do this are just as bad in my eyes! I shop at sainsburys and I never even get asked the people stand there and wait to be asked! It’s far too easy in this country to claim benefits when sometimes people just WONT go out and work!

Metalhead
    Participant

@Whitevanman 10584 wrote:

I’m not being funny but what would you rather an illegal immigrant who yes may look a bit scruffy but is going out in all weathers washing cars trying to earn a living ok it may bit be an honest one, but still it’s a bit more honest than some people you see outside the job center dressed in designer clothes and stealing or working on the side whilst claiming tax payers money, people who do this are just as bad in my eyes! I shop at sainsburys and I never even get asked the people stand there and wait to be asked! It’s far too easy in this country to claim benefits when sometimes people just WONT go out and work!

Not really cool with either TBH as it’s us mugs who are paying for all of these in one way or another. This post isn’t about benefit scroungers and thieves though, failing to see how this really relates? :confused:

Surprised to hear that you have never been approached there though, that has certainly not been our experience.

Rob
    Participant

A few might have seen this pop up on the twitter feed a few days back as people in the carparks at the time posted some pictures of the ‘raids’.

I can see the logic of supermarkets, park up have a shop and have a clean car when you get back.

A ‘no thanks’ covers it for me when asked but it has always struck me as odd that there is a car wash behind the tesco petrol station and then the hand wash one in the carpark meters away.

Probably for another thread but the absolute rubbish parking/driving in supermarket carparks is far worse IMHO :)

Borrasblogger
    Participant

@Metalhead 10567 wrote:

These workers seem to approach most people who enter the Sainsbury’s car park and some people really don’t care for this. As I mentioned earlier my wife no longer shops there because of this. It’s like when you have people on the street trying to drag you into bars, clubs, restaurants etc. I personally don’t like it, more often than not they actually put me off going into somewhere that I might otherwise have done. This has nothing whatsoever to do with bigotry, some people do not care for this practice and find it intimidating, simple as that.

As for the employing of ILLEGAL immigrants for a business which could take trade away from legitimately run competition and take jobs that could have been done by UK citizens who pay their taxes, NI etc, this is not OK. These outfits who have been caught employing them will apparently now be liable for fines of up to £10,000 per worker.

At the end of the day they are just people trying to eek out a living the best way they can. They get exploited but dont blame them. They are trying to do everything they can for their families. Most people say they do a very good job. Would any of our benefit scroungers spend 12 hours a day standing in the cold and rain doing this? No. Give them a break. Its the bosses that need sorting out.

lazyjack
    Participant

I certainly don’t approve of illegal immigrants but the reason there are so many foreigners working in these car wash setups is that a lot of our very own ‘homegrown’ people are too lazy to get out and do a decent day’s work. Far easier sitting at home in front of the plasma TV whilst the benefits roll in.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News