How Would You Think Different ? Council To Plug £30mil Hole

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How Would You Think Different ? Council To Plug £30mil Hole

• Author

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If the agenda is on their iPads why don’t they just print off the relevant pages that the councillor wishes to debate and use the iPad for reference purposes for the rest. Oh wait! They would need wi-fi printers, more expense to met by us! I use an ipad myself ,at my great age, so the councillors will become more expert with use.

NJones
    Participant

Stop pointless city status bids that no-one wants.

MAGgy
    Participant

@justjojo2011 1842 wrote:

My thinking here is, it starts at home. The council needs to review just how money is spent on staff and the luxuries they receive. Who knows how much could be saved here. Could be a little, could be a lot. Hey we could even cut their pensions lol

Luxuries?

MAGgy
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4514 wrote:

This is proposterous and anyone who believes this lives in cloud cuckoo land.

Now I love tablets, I love laptops and computers… but…

ipads are good for reading ebooks, but they are absolutely useless for reference work in meetings. Why you ask? Because humans need to cross reference in meetings quickly, but they can only remember between 5 and 9 bits of information at any one time… ask any pyschologist. That means the need to look at different sources of information at anyone time. Now looking at three pages at once on a ipad is clunky, clumsy and difficult. Whether it’s very easy with three sheets of paper.

Guess I’m in cloud cuckoo land then but god knows where you live, not in Wrexham I see.
    there is technology that allows secure browsing of documents on iPads.
    /tablets and it is very easy to switch between pages/applications on an iPad.
    I’m guessing your older and technologically stilted, only know the basics.
    I’ll carry on browsing this forum now on my iPad whilst checking my emails etc

MAGgy
    Participant

Has anyone checked how much the iPads cost?
    If they are part of their mobile technology contract they will get a very advantageous price and could even get them free of charge as other authorise have

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    MAGgy;4548 wrote:
    Guess I’m in cloud cuckoo land then but god knows where you live, not in Wrexham I see.
    there is technology that allows secure browsing of documents on iPads.
    /tablets and it is very easy to switch between pages/applications on an iPad.
    I’m guessing your older and technologically stilted, only know the basics.
    I’ll carry on browsing this forum now on my iPad whilst checking my emails etc

you obviously don’t know what i do for a living…

I use tablets.

psychological fact, you can’t remember more than 9 bits of information at one time (although i’m at the lower end I can only remember 5) that means it just can’t be done on just one ipad when cross referencing as some times you need to glance more than thing at time.

And that doesnt even include the interference to a person’s concentration by the screen flickering at 50 or 60 times a second. That’s why it is easier to read print rather than a screen.

Paper will always be needed.

Rob
    Participant

@MAGgy 4549 wrote:

Has anyone checked how much the iPads cost?
    If they are part of their mobile technology contract they will get a very advantageous price and could even get them free of charge as other authorise have

Cost details are on Councillors To Be Given iPads | Wrexham.com and we got to play with a Council ‘issue’ one here Councillors Get iPads – We Play With One | Wrexham.com .

Pricing didnt seem overly cheap , which authorities got them free? Would be great if WCBC could get that deal as well.

MAGgy
    Participant

Rob just read these and I’m gob smacked at the prices quoted for the iPads, procurement should be looking into that. Maybe as part of the mobile phone contract or a separate tender exercise,

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    MAGgy;4568 wrote:
    Rob just read these and I’m gob smacked at the prices quoted for the iPads, procurement should be looking into that. Maybe as part of the mobile phone contract or a separate tender exercise,

can’t remember the name of the website now… wales-something.gov.uk but all old tenders are on that too. Has anyone checked if they put it out to tender??

Edit: it’s called selltowales.co.uk

Just done a quick serach, they haven’t put it out as an official tender.

Naughty.

MAGgy
    Participant

It doesn’t have to go through Sell2Wales if they used the GPS

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News