How Would You Think Different ? Council To Plug £30mil Hole

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How Would You Think Different ? Council To Plug £30mil Hole

• Author

Rob
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.com/news/11586-11586.html

This is our story on the savings – £10mil in two years, £30 mil overall in 5 years .

What steps would you suggest, or want the council to take to save money?

wrexview
    Participant

The first step should be to differentiate between what the Council needs to deliver and those things which are extras. As an example I think the Connect magazine is an extra, the advertising is by individual council departments not external advertising revenue. There could also be a delivery charge. The saving is relatively small in the region of £50,000 but you have to start somewhere.

justjojo2011
    Participant

My thinking here is, it starts at home. The council needs to review just how money is spent on staff and the luxuries they receive. Who knows how much could be saved here. Could be a little, could be a lot. Hey we could even cut their pensions lol

thewayneinspain
    Participant

half the councillors’ wage bill & expenses budget. If they want more.. tough.

mothball, sell or rent out half of the council buildings… same staff just less buildings & electricity.

no new capital investment of any road or building for the next five years e.g. no more re-rebuilding of high street.

Proper green initiatives. ..
    only council employees & councillors that live more than two miles away from their building get a car parking space. They should all be car sharing or walking.

Y Ffin
    Participant

I work for the council – don’t have a parking space, neither do my colleagues. Not sure what the one contributor means by luxuries: a wage that has been frozen for three years perhaps. I am not complaining, but do find people who spout opinions with checking their facts first rather tedious!!
    Half the council’s buildings are mothballed – drive down Grosvenor Road, look upstairs above BHS, check out Roxburgh House. there is no demand for commercial property in wrexham.

Ideas for saving money – make all schools direct grant and scrap the LEAs. private schools manage without the equivalent well-paid bureaucracy, so what do the LEAs really do for our schools and our children. Perhaps they could tell us!!

Sam
    Participant

Well the first thing to save on would be funding for pending capital projects.

Do we need the proposed one way system by the old Walnut pub ? ( as discussed on this forum ).

Do we need public consultations when the outcome has already been penciled in ?

Do we need to speak to several depts, all employing numerous people in reference to a simple question ?

Do we need to provide expensive services to appease the minority ?

What we do need is ……………..

A fiance dept with the mentality of every homeowner in the area ? Pennywise !!!

Spent on the essentials only to keep us all ticking over during the recession.

And finally, someone, with balls too say, ”thats essential, thats not !!”.

NJones
    Participant

Great idea- give all the councillors iPads to replace the old laptops they never used. Oh no they’ve already done that one!

NJones
    Participant

They could sell off all their empty buildings such as the ones boarded up on Grosvenor road.

wrexview
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/financial/budget_book_1213.pdf

The above is a link to the budget for Wrexham Council 2012/13 , some interesting reading, page 18 shows income of over £1.3 million from the solar panels fitted to council properties. There is also provision of £300,000 for their maintainence , that equates to £100 per house. Is that going to be an on going annual service charge? There is also another line that shows capital charges including the solar panels,(1.7 million) therefore the exact charges for the solar panels can’t be identified. Overall however the housing budget has a surplus in the region of £1.8 million.

Although they are not in great detail can anyone see where savings could be made?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Y Ffin 1844 wrote:

I work for the council – don’t have a parking space, neither do my colleagues. Not sure what the one contributor means by luxuries: a wage that has been frozen for three years perhaps. I am not complaining, but do find people who spout opinions with checking their facts first rather tedious!!
    Half the council’s buildings are mothballed – drive down Grosvenor Road, look upstairs above BHS, check out Roxburgh House. there is no demand for commercial property in wrexham.

Ideas for saving money – make all schools direct grant and scrap the LEAs. private schools manage without the equivalent well-paid bureaucracy, so what do the LEAs really do for our schools and our children. Perhaps they could tell us!!

When I mean mothballed, I also mean the new council offices next to the guild hall (or the guild hall itself – council meetings could be in the memorial hall) plus the people’s market except for the car park, moving the businesses either into the bus station or one of the other markets. I agree there is too much commercial space in wrexham, that is the councillors & their planners fault for giving permission and creating a shopping space bubble. A good example of wastage was considering all the buildings the council had empty, they still hired out the old kwik save for the library.

I can think of three car parks in town that has space reserved for council staff or councillors… memorial hall/swimming baths, the guild hall/new council offices and peoples’ market car parks. So somebody whether council workers or councillors is getting space.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News