How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

Philip Osborne
    Participant

I’ve noticed roundabout threads seem to get a lot of attention and stir a lot of opinion, so I thought I’d start a new one.

The ASDA/police station roundabout sits on a dual-carriageway portion of road … that means that traffic in BOTH lanes can enter and leave the roundabout in BOTH lanes if they are travelling straight on along the primary route through the roundabout. Traffic in the right-hand lane can also turn right toward the police station, and traffic in the left-hand lane can also turn left toward ASDA.

Especially when your intention is to turn left at the next roundabout, the Tesco roundabout, it is especially important to remain in the left-hand lane as you enter and exit the ASDA roundabout rather than weaving all over the road from left to right and back again … so why do some drivers sitting in the ASDA exit insist on giving you filthy looks and hand gestures if you use the roundabout exactly as it is intended?

They make the ASSUMPTION that the left-hand lane is ONLY for turning left and (even if you have given no indication that you are turning left) go to pull out in front of you and then act all shocked and amazed as if it’s you that has just cut them up, when they are the ones that have attempted to enter a roundabout ahead of vehicles who have right-of-way.

zinger
    Participant

I know that you are right but the design of the island is bad in my opinion. It’s a bit like the vehicles going all the way round a mini roundabout & then travelling back in the direction they have come from. It is annoying if you are exiting Asda & then people pull into the car park last minute without indicating. Lots of people don’t know how to use indicators these days.

ParryMedia
    Participant

Now I might be wrong, but If your exit road has 2 lanes you are supposed to keep in the left lane (or exit to the left lane) no matter which lane you used on the island it’s self

I feel it’s one of those small town things, because it’s the only roundabout of this nature in town people wont have experience of it done correctly if they haven’t driven outside of the area. There are many types of unique road layout in the area, Junction 1 of the A483 is a prime example the twin roundabouts quite rare for the area etc etc

Roundabouts

^ Some tips

Born Acorn
    Participant

A lot of people seem to assume that heading straight over toward Tesco is “turning right” so go into the right lane and indicate.

However when I was learning to drive I was told not to do this, and stay in the left lane as if it is straight ahead. This seems correct to me now but not when first learning.

zinger;9540 wrote:
    Lots of people don’t know how to use indicators these days.

Definitely! Those trying to get out of Holt Road on the Tesco roundabout are often beeped at by those not indicating they are coming right around the roundabout!

Rob
    Participant

Indicator use would help a fair bit but it seems most are broken around town ;)

The ‘stay left for straight ahead’ is what I go by, however what defines straight ahead can be up for debate!

I cant find the link right now but was via reddit.com on research about roundabouts v traffic lights, with roundabouts meaning smoother flows and less incidents.

Another fun roundabout is the Watery Rd / Bradley Rd one as you go over the bridge it opens to two lanes, but the left is for left turn going by the paint!

As we are on the topic of traffic flow, anyone else think the Grove Rd / Chester Rd lights are needless?

zinger
    Participant

I don’t know here because at 5-5.30pm traffic comes up Grove Road as a short cut to Chester Road, Queens Park, Maesydre, Acton & Borras. Shush!! I shouldn’t say that because they will probably spoil a good thing.

Rondetto
    Participant

Left hand lane is for turning left or straight ahead. Right hand lane is for turning right. Simple rule to follow is to give way to traffic from the right, it’s what we are all taught when learning to drive, but many seem to forget soon after.

zinger
    Participant

So Rondetto. You are approaching Asda from the Chester Road & you get to the roundabout. Which lane are you in when you want to go to Tesco?

Rondetto
    Participant

Left hand lane.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Either left or right. If the exit route is at an angle greater than 90 degrees! both are acceptable.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News