How to Reduce the Pressure on the NHS?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to Reduce the Pressure on the NHS?

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

One thing that is better organised in England is Doctors don’t write monthly repeat prescriptions. They do one for six months and leave it with the pharmacy where they dispense the drugs monthly. The pharmacy even prompts the patient that a review or new prescription is required , all this reduces the work load for the GP practice.

feedshallow
    Participant

That’s exactly what happens with my prescription – I’m given six at a time covering six months. Then I have a review and get another six months. It already happens in Wales so I’m not sure what your point is.

wrexview
    Participant

Is that a Wrexham practice?

99DylanJones
    Participant

I am on blood pressure tablets but have to apply every month to the GP to issue the same prescription – the only time I have a check is blood once a year. 11 times a year someone has to do something that is not neccesary – multiply out by all patienst in similar position and there would be 1000’s of hiours a year that could be used for other medical issues.
    If there are some Wrexham practices that issue multiple prescriptions then why cant they all?

jimbow
    Participant

The locum that has come to my practice informed me, that the English NHS was so much better than the Welsh NHS.

wrexview
    Participant

With pressure on GP appointment availability , the time saved by writing one rather than six separate prescriptions across hundreds, if not thousands, of patients would free up hours of extra Doctor’s time. Why don’t all surgeries adopt this practice ?

zinger
    Participant

I agree. We used to get a prescription for 3 months but now have to put prescription in a box monthly to be signed by Doctor and collect meds from pharmacy 2 days later.

All patients over a certain age now appear to be ‘borderline diabetic’ which means that they have to have a check up every 6 months and if you feel ill and phone the surgery you have to wait for the triage nurse to phone back to give you an appointment. Why can’t you phone the triage in the first place to save a phone call and waiting?

zinger
    Participant

As for A & E. Surely there could be a better system than the poor nurse having to walk up & down the corridor calling out the patients names

feedshallow
    Participant

Not Wrexham – it’s down in that Cardiff.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

All the free prescriptions vote grabber has done is fund the trade in illegal prescription drug trade. In 2014 the NHS bill for opiate based painkillers in Cardiff was four times that of London. Remember that the population of London is just about 10 million which is almost 7 million more than in the whole of Wales.

The Welsh Gov has been an epic fail and what they have done to the NHS is a disgrace. Jobs for mates on exec boards terminally stupid decisions on Health Board locations made by Edwina Hart and millions wasted on layer upon layer of unnecessary management and duplicated back office jobs.
    Everybody who the useless WG consulted on the changes to the Health Board told them that a single North Wales Board would not work but ignoring expert opinion Edwina knew best. And to add insult to injury they named the calamitous Health Board after a Liverpudlian brothel keeper who died of syphilis.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News