How many elected councilmen does it take to cut a red ribbon?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How many elected councilmen does it take to cut a red ribbon?

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Cllrs

No, it’s not a joke insofar as there being an actual punchline, the real joke is that 2 of our esteemed council members were needed to deal with the unique logistical challenges of cutting a red ribbon alongside another local corporate type. They do say public officials would attend the opening of an envelope for a good photo opportunity and this is very much the case.

I imagine there was much discussion about what to wear beforehand – “make sure you have a suit that matches the intrinsic grey colour scheme in the Bus station. Yes, fine. Do you have a WCBC red coloured tie? No I’ve lost mine after drinks on Friday when I tied it round my head – will this WCBC lanyard do? Okay fine, you have a white shirt though? Oh all my best white shirts are in the wash.”

I notice the mayor (who is actually paid to do this sort of thing) did not express an interest in this particular opening endeavour, which begs the question what is the point of the mayor, if other public officials are jostling in packs to rise to the occasion.

The actual service being opened is great, but quite frankly all of these formal openings of things are just massive back-pats to themselves, which are aggrandising what is actually being achieved in the town. What next? The unveiling of a plaque when Wrexham’s biggest pothole has been filled in?

This whole cocksure attitude of the top Councillors in regards to how they think Wrexham is going vs reality is near farcical. The weekly walkabout (that someone mentioned in another thread) is an absolute joke. If they were actually going to places in Wrexham that needed action and getting their hands dirty that would go down much better – how about trawling the Gwenfro for shopping trollies? Or going on a dog muck picking up expedition.

In fact there should be a poll ran online to nominate what you want councillors to do on their weekly jaunt into town. Something constructive and giving back to their community. They agree to that and they can have as much Poundland ribbon as they want, we might even let them use more than the safety scissors when unsupervised.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I’m not one to stick up for the council or anyone else for that matter, but two of our esteemed council members were needed because one is Town Center development and one is Transport.

How about trawling the Gwenfro for shopping trolleys? Or going on a dog muck picking up expedition?? What a stupid statement – there are workmen who clean these things up – but if morons didn’t litter/dump then it would,nt be there.

Again not sticking up for them, but most Councillors I come into contact with, do do something constructive and give back to their community in time and effort.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=147808]I’m not one to stick up for the council or anyone else for that matter, but two of our esteemed council members were needed because one is Town Center development and one is Transport.

How about trawling the Gwenfro for shopping trolleys? Or going on a dog muck picking up expedition?? What a stupid statement – there are workmen who clean these things up – but if morons didn’t litter/dump then it would,nt be there.

Again not sticking up for them, but most Councillors I come into contact with, do do something constructive and give back to their community in time and effort.[/quote]

I think you completely missed the satirical nature of the entire post.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Over the years, I’ve missed the last bus [topical] the last post [relevant] the last tango in Paris [tangent] and the last rolo in the pack, but to miss the satirical nature of an entire post! Why don’t you finish Matt!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News