How does Wrexham spend its money

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How does Wrexham spend its money

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

@Alunh 4159 wrote:

The interesting one is Economic Development which is a huge Borough employer. This does many good things but, equally, could it be done without?

Is there not a case to petition the Welsh Assembly to abandon Business rates and in some brokered deal, local Authorities refuse to take the equivalent from Central Authority and lay off the Economic Development team. Without paying business rates, you’d soon see Business boom and, accordingly, no need for economic development. Some of the shops in Wrexham now carry £20,000-£50,000 rates payable. No wonder they’re shutting and pricing out local business. Square the circle and see what happens. Leave the cash with the business!!

Alun,
    When I had a stall in the Butchers Market the rates were recharged through the Service Charge account at £14,000 for the whole of the Market,of which my share was £670.Since then the rates have been taken out of the Service Charge and individual stalls rated seperately.This has been done for most markets in the country I believe.As a result of this my old stall now commands a rates quote of £1808

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;4159 wrote:
    The interesting one is Economic Development which is a huge Borough employer. This does many good things but, equally, could it be done without?

Is there not a case to petition the Welsh Assembly to abandon Business rates and in some brokered deal, local Authorities refuse to take the equivalent from Central Authority and lay off the Economic Development team. Without paying business rates, you’d soon see Business boom and, accordingly, no need for economic development. Some of the shops in Wrexham now carry £20,000-£50,000 rates payable. No wonder they’re shutting and pricing out local business. Square the circle and see what happens. Leave the cash with the business!!

Think the place could turn into starbucks central… how about business rates exempt if turnover of company, sister or mother company turnover is over 1 million.

Alunh
    Participant

How about abandoning the most stupid cost in the Universe. What logic is there in taking money off a business before its made a bean, forcing it to set aside valuable Investment funds or forcing it to not take on staff……..and then, of course, charging the business separately for things like rubbish bin removal. Talk about an ill-conceived idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wxm
    Participant

because loads of FOI’s have been put in, and we end up polarising on one point, which of course are very important in there own right, but

everyone that I speak to cannot believe that Wrexhams economic output and domestic liquidity has declined very heavily, and nothing is being done about it. The statistics show us dropping off a cliff,

and the council spend £430m, of which £300m the is schools and education, adult social care, and housing,

the £130m they do talk about is democratic services, culture and environmental stuff

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4201 wrote:

Think the place could turn into starbucks central… how about business rates exempt if turnover of company, sister or mother company turnover is over 1 million.

brain fart moment.

meant under 1 million.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wxm 4223 wrote:

because loads of FOI’s have been put in, and we end up polarising on one point, which of course are very important in there own right, but

everyone that I speak to cannot believe that Wrexhams economic output and domestic liquidity has declined very heavily, and nothing is being done about it. The statistics show us dropping off a cliff,

and the council spend £430m, of which £300m the is schools and education, adult social care, and housing,

the £130m they do talk about is democratic services, culture and environmental stuff

Sorry but just get the feeling you have political agenda from the inner workings of the council…. which is fine, but i would respect your view more if you were transparent about it. At the moment i’m not taking your points seriously especially as you have yet to produce evidence about the grading of council workers..

The 7 weeks I had in the town during december, january and february, I found to be a cause for concern because it was obvious that the town’s output was the worst i had seen it since the 80s. More so, the town’s local economic ‘ecosystem’ had all but collasped – that never happened in the 80s.

There is nothing wrong with culture being supported – If done right this can be best way to stimulate the local economy whilst giving the townsfolk a reason to be both proud and happier (See Barcelona, any town or village in Catalunya… I hate to think how bad the situation would be without the fiestas mejores.)

However I very much agree the council is not doing enough to help the local economy except for ytrying to attract companies that will take revenue out rather than putting it back in.

wxm
    Participant

culture is imperative … its the very thing that binds generations,

just as the environment … which refreshes our dew every morning,

but, if you want progress, perhaps look towards Sydney Tongue. As the CEO of Wrexham he brought the big guns and the big names and bigger money. He brought it for a great deal less than we spend now . . .

wxm
    Participant

if you’re open and transparent about who you are, you only get branded a trouble maker in the corridors of the council, and instead of someone addressing the issue you raise, it becomes a personal agenda about the reasoning and personality of the person who is raising the issue . . .

and then the council react as a single entity “The Council” rather than stating which individual officer or councillor considered and recommended a matter . . .

wrexham.com could be the first opportunity for the community to address the real issues about Wrexham … without an individual being politicised . . .

We can always do things better … for every 1% Wrexham can spend better, on £430 that is £4.3m that can help people in need, or to have better industry … if the town centre is so bad and doing so poorly … when are we going to do something about it and the rest of the county … £4.3m woudl make an enormous difference to the markets . . .

thewayneinspain
    Participant

if people stay quiet rather than open & transparent, there will always be a culture of clandestine behaviour.

i think the party politics at wrexham is quite disgusting, because it has nothing to do with party political beliefs, its all about an individual’s own selfish empire building and power.

There are very few that are worthy to represent the public, but the public don’t help themselves by voting for a party rather than the individual.

greet is the need for a beppe grillo figure in wrexham.

Voters should be angry by the polticians’ behaviour but hopeful that they [the people] can act to make it better.

wxm
    Participant

as a starter, however sad, my response has been to spoil my ballot paper!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News