Horseshoe Pass Speed Limit

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Horseshoe Pass Speed Limit

• Author

Steve
    Participant

I can’t believe it… actually I can, the answer to everything reduce the speed limit.
    I am interested to know what they are going to do when someone goes over the end at 40mph or 15mph….. Maybe make the speed limit 10mph and see if that works?

beedar
    Participant

No doubt it’ll be traffic calming next

johnhoppy
    Participant

The authorities seem to think that reducing the speed limits are the answer to road safety. Almost every A road in Wrexham has had the national speed limit replaced by a 50mph one, and Flintshire are going down the same track. This will not deter the reckless ones amongst us who do not respect speed limits anyway. Many thousands have been spent on the dual carriageway between Caergwrle and Pontblyddyn, reducing it to single track in one direction, and despite this there have been more fatalities on this stretch of road. The powers that be are determined that the law abiding will drive at snail’s pace in procession, not realising or caring that those who do not care about the present speed limit will care even less about a lower one.

No doubt revenue from the ‘Safety Cameras’ will increase sufficiently to pay for these restrictions to our daily lives.

Steve
    Participant

While I agree with almost all that johnhoppy has said, it’s not all about speed. Yes if someone is traveling on a bend/curve at 90mph and a car has broken down he will hit it. However if someone is traveling on the same bend at 45mph and texting or adjusting the satnav they are still going to hit it, maybe at a harder impact than the person traveling at 90mph and breaking hard so reducing his impact speed to 20mph while the person texting hit’s it at 45mph as he did not even look up to see the car.

Robert
    Participant

I believe an earlier solution was a man walking in front of the vehicle with a red flag…

In these allegedly financial straitened times, it does seem odd that money can always be found for speed limit signs and the cameras to enforce the limits within them.

MP1953
    Participant

Not having any of this Steve :) as much as I don’t like speed cameras and whilst obviously excessive speed is not everything speed does kill ……

Ferret
    Participant

@Steve 13520 wrote:

While I agree with almost all that johnhoppy has said, it’s not all about speed. Yes if someone is traveling on a bend/curve at 90mph and a car has broken down he will hit it. However if someone is traveling on the same bend at 45mph and texting or adjusting the satnav they are still going to hit it, maybe at a harder impact than the person traveling at 90mph and breaking hard so reducing his impact speed to 20mph while the person texting hit’s it at 45mph as he did not even look up to see the car.

If I ever go around a bend at 90mph I want to be driving a Red Bull. either that or a car that can brake from 90 to 20 in a split second while going around a bend without me ending up pinned to the windscreen.

Darlofan
    Participant

@MP1953 13531 wrote:

Not having any of this Steve :) as much as I don’t like speed cameras and whilst obviously excessive speed is not everything speed does kill ……

Occasionally but not as often as government organisations want us to believe. The people who speed and go over the edge of the pass are the type of drivers who a 50mph limit is not going to stop. As commented above the new road layout and limits at Pontblyddn has not worked.
    As for the speed vans they won’t bother with accident hotspots like Horseshoe Pass or Pontblyddn as they don’t catch enough to make it viable, even though they’re for safety not generating cash!! I’ve seen the van at Pontblyddn once on the dual c/w and then he was just after it starts not at the end where the accidents happen so drivers just floor it once passed him.

Steve
    Participant

@Ferret 13583 wrote:

If I ever go around a bend at 90mph I want to be driving a Red Bull. either that or a car that can brake from 90 to 20 in a split second while going around a bend without me ending up pinned to the windscreen.

It was just an example with some wild numbers to demonstrate a point. Excessive speeding is bad, however so is using a phone when driving or not paying attention when driving at 25mph in a 30 limit!

NJones
    Participant

@MP1953 13531 wrote:

No its the drivers inability to control their car that kills, not the speed.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News