Homebase Closure

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Homebase Closure

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Another store bites the dust in Wrexham. December 14th Homebase closes. The town is well on it’s way to being a ghost town. I am not sure whether it is Internet shopping or just a general trend of High street chains not living up to it’s targets.

newwales
    Participant

Such a shame as there will now be no store near by since Chester & Oswestry closed. Wonder if its the property owner not reducing the rent enough, now will not receive anything with empty premises or is it Homebase asking for an un-realistic drop in rent??

Still a shame & now less choice.

AMA Express
    Participant

Homebase is gearing up to close 42 stores as part of a proposed Company Voluntary Arrangement.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1003127/homebase-close-stores-closures-full-list-latest-news

Matt
    Participant

I’m pretty confident that no-one is going to lose any sleep over the loss of Homebase from a consumer POV – there’s a B&Q at spitting distance from it, Wickes other side of town, Colour Supplies and probably a number of other local hardware/DIY stores people could go to if they wanted to.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a crap time for the staff losing their jobs smack right before Christmas – seems to be a lot of job losses lately.

Simon
    Participant

I mentioned the sad announcement of Homebase’s closure to someone today , and he seemed to think that a replacement firm was already lined up for the Plas Coch venue.
    I might be mistaken, I’ll have to ask him again when I see him next, but I think he said it was Grange.
    https://www.grangefen.co.uk/

Again, I’m not sure, and I’ll ask him again when I see him.

Jill
    Participant

This isn’t a local problem. In 2016, HomeBase was taken over by an Australian company that completely misjudged the British market and quickly bailed out, selling the investment for £1 with little regard for the painful consequences that would have for the staff. I’m not holding my breath but perhaps some other big high street name will take advantage of a well positioned retail opportunity.

AMA Express
    Participant

Simon, are you sure it isn’t The Range ?

Huw
    Participant

Homebase sells overpriced rubbish that can be found elsewhere cheaper and better quality. Feel sorry for the staff though.

Simon
    Participant

Simon, are you sure it isn’t The Range ?

AMA Express

He possibly could’ve said The Range. I’m not too clued up on High Street stores etc.

When I see him next, I’ll ask him.

yellowdot
    Participant

A major problem with Wrexham is the fact that our Councillors/Officers are not well versed with business acumen and experience. Go to Oswestry/ Shrewsbury on a Saturday and they are like Wrexham used to be years ago. There seems to be no business planning or long term strategy. Our town centre will be full of flats but the occupants will have to go elsewhere for goods. Our Councillors are more conscious of their own respective constituencies rather than the well being and future of our town. But at the end of the day we vote them in. We have a consultancy programme about future planning but that’s just for residential properties not business. Show some leadership Councillors and give Wrexham hope for the future.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News