HMOs

• Author

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Does Wrexham have more HMOs than other towns of its size? Who really benefits from these properties? The people who live in them? Or the landlords who have realized that renting a whole property makes less money than renting out the property room by room? Do HMOs pay a higher council tax because they surely use more council services than a non-HMO of a similar size? What does everyone else think because a planning application for another HMO is almost a fortnightly occurrence? Council officers wave them through, yet no-one appears to welcome an HMO as a neighbour.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I thought this kind of talk when out in the 70’s. There is a house near me with, I think, a couple of ‘HMOs’ living there and they are lovely young chaps,always singing and baking and I for one welcome them to our town.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

I would think that towns and cities with universities would have more of these, for students. Landlords can make much more overall income, although it also comes with more hassle, risk, maintenance, etc

KidA
    Participant

I wouldn’t want live next door to a HMO because the residents are usually temporary (mainly students) and some, not all, have a disregard for their immediate neighbourhood or can be generally disruptive borne from a large number of non-related people living together. The reason landlords create HMOS’s is purely financial. In a student HMO , no one pays council tax but the landlord makes a huge amount in rent. It’s such a shame to see these lovely buildings sectioned off into bedsits but Wrexham has a large student contingent who need housing I guess.

AMA Express
    Participant

It’s such a shame to see these lovely buildings sectioned off into bedsits

Unless you actually step inside one, it’s very unlikely that you’ll see any buildings being sectioned off.

zinger
    Participant

When too many of HMO are added into residential areas it could possibly spoil the demographics of the area.

Presumably someone has to care for the outside of the properties, clean windows, take in parcels etc. I only have personal knowledge of one which does look rather unkempt in comparison with other properties.

wrexview
    Participant

HMO’s provide the only living space for people who occupy them . Most consist of a bedroom ( only private space for an individual) with shared kitchens and bathrooms. Not only do they cook in the kitchens but also do their washing and drying. These are not students who have a main home elsewhere. In the 21st Century surely we should be providing a better minimum standard of accommodation for people.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News