Have we found our NEW MP…?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Have we found our NEW MP…?

• Author

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Hi all,

Looks like Wrexham has a mighty fine Conservative candidate in Sarah Atherton, a former solider a qualified nurse and social worker! She has my vote at the next General Election. Don’t worry Nigel, I’m with you for the EU Elections.

Have a read here…

Welsh Conservatives select Sarah Atherton as Wrexham candidate to fight General Election

Lily

Matt
    Participant

I know a thing or 2 about the civil war that ensued for this new Conservative candidate to be put into position.

Bottom line – things are a mess and some people are upset.

Matt
    Participant

Done some background Lilly RE: local response to Sarah being the new candidate and it looks like Nigel has completely split the vote on the right, like UKIP did in 2015. There are a handful of naysayers coming from Labour but the majority of detractors are now coming from the Brexit Party background.

Whilst Labour haven’t performed fantastically and Ian Lucas has had heavy criticism – Theresa May has dealt with Brexit so badly that if we have a General Election this year, there’s not a dog’s chance in hell that a Tory MP will be returned in Wrexham.

Labour silent majority – vote generation by generation to keep the Tories out will dig in and retain the local baseline vote that keeps Lucas in and all of the disillusioned ex-Tory voters will be straight in at the Brexit Party who will definitely run in a General Election if they do well at the European elections.

The peel off of Labour and Tory Voters because of Brexit to a Pro-Brexit Party usually goes at a rate of 33% Labour vs 66% for Conservatives. So for every 1 voter Labour loses to Brexit Party, the Tories will lose 2.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Thanks Matt…..

My point really is that it is very refreshing to find a candidate who really is FROM the people. Given Sarah’s history in public service. She will have real world experience of working for the NHS and within adult social care.

I for one wish her luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let’s hope she’s not our new MP. Wrexham is already in bad enough shape, imagine it with a Tory in charge? Doesn’t bear thinking about. She might even have the facade of being a lovely person, but a Tory is a Tory. That picture of her with that haunted victorian pencil won’t help her chances like.

Surely Wrexham isn’t that disillusioned that they’re going to abandon Labour? I mean, I know that a small majority are already turkeys that voted for Christmas with the Brexit vote which means we’ll be getting even LESS money into the town, but this would be a whole new level of stupid.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Must be something in the water at Gresford Community Council and The local Memorial Trust as your current MP Ian LUCAS came “ from the people “ via this route.
    I note Sarah says that the town centre is floundering but does not mention the Cameron/Osborne austerity. She may also wish to reflect that out of the last 168 months Labour only had a had on the leadership for 24 of those months. And of course some of that “leadership “ bequeathed is the Tory/Independent grouping we have now.
    Glad to see though that she appreciates the Growth Deal from the Welsh Labour Government is the solution !

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Just to make clear I was referring to Wrexham Council when mentioning the leadership ( sic) and the wasted months!

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Having done a little research into this unknown person of Wrexham I see the choriographed photos have started already! Checked FB and there is a lovely profile picture of her in a Wrexham FC coat holding a Wrexham FC football, clearly inside the club shop I doubt she actually bought anything to contribute to our club. Embarrassing start but she’s probably done as much as our current MP which is nothing. Hopefully come election time we have more choice.

Marvinuk
    Participant

[quote quote=167413]Having done a little research into this unknown person of Wrexham I see the choriographed photos have started already! Checked FB and there is a lovely profile picture of her in a Wrexham FC coat holding a Wrexham FC football, clearly inside the club shop I doubt she actually bought anything to contribute to our club. Embarrassing start but she’s probably done as much as our current MP which is nothing. Hopefully come election time we have more choice.[/quote]

One thing I do agree with is the fact our current MP has done nothing for Wrexham, as The Speaking Truth says hopefully come election time we will more choice because I really do believe now that we need a new MP in Wrexham to start to improve the town.

The Monitor
    Participant

Not a chance in hell that I would vote for a self-seeking conservative. Will people never learn???
    Gone from this thread.. not worth my time.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News