Halloween & nasty kids

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Halloween & nasty kids

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

Halloween is another nasty American import (do i sound xenophobic saying this Matt?) and a right pain in the ass.

I have had kids knocking on the door and bungalow windows since Sunday and i have to pretend to be out.

I blame America and the couldn’t care less attitude of parents. I also think that putting a poster up would get my place egged if not bricked. Last year there were small kids coming into Wetherspoons demanding money.

Where are the police?

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Gives me my annual chance to moan about another American import that has infiltrated our seasonal celebrations . The Coca Cola lorry has NOTHING to do with Christmas unless you want to celebrate fattening and teeth rotting!

wrexview
    Participant

Everywhere you look these days someone is bemoaning the use of plastic and how it is damaging wildlife and the planet in general. However most of the goods sold to celebrate Halloween are made mainly from plastic and are single use imported goods. Perhaps to support the planet we should carve locally grown pumpkins and make our own sweets.

Matt
    Participant

Actually agree with you for the most part X – I don’t agree with trick or treating at all – if someone came to your house any other time of the year begging and then threatening negative anti-social actions late at night the police would be right round (if there are any police left that is).

The actual getting dressed up I think is fun for the kids and they should just throw local community Halloween parties/discos (we used to have one in school) to keep the kids there get them tanked up on sweets etc… where perhaps instead those who are willing to give out sweets on the doorstep – could perhaps bring them to the local community centre/school. That way keep them out of trouble and keep everyone safe. Something that would increase community spirit rather than decrease it.

Teenagers going round with eggs and expecting sweets need to bloody grow up. I remember the local shop I worked in as a lad – my boss had to ban egg sales to kids for the whole week leading up to Halloween (we’re just baking a cake – yeah right!).

Although the full on Americanisation has massively turned Halloween into a profit making engine – you have it shoved down your throat aggressively by all the shops and confectionery companies – trying to make it something as big as Easter perhaps. Somewhat amusingly – in Tesco Cefn today they were clearing the shelves of Halloween stock already at lunchtime to make way for their full on Christmas selection.

Americans might overdo everything commercially, but they also do law enforcement like no other either:

Trick or treaters in certain Virginia towns who are over the age of 12 (or anyone trick or treating after 8pm) can expect jail time or a fine if caught. Parents supervising children going door to door are also banned from wearing masks.

https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/trick-or-treating-can-send-anyone-over-12-to-jail-in-virginia-towns

Once Halloween is out of the way we can all sit happily waiting for the next major American import – Black Friday on 23rd November.

Rondetto
    Participant

Black Friday looming too, yet another Yankee import they should have kept to themselves.

Birdman
    Participant

It’s not an American import (no one says Yankee anymore unless they want an over priced scented candle).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Yes there are little sods who ruin it but last night I had lots of polite kids with their parents knock on my door and I don’t exactly live in whats considered the nice part of Wrexham.

Wrexham has a bad youth behavior problem that is not tackled and they use Halloween as a time to misbehave even more. But don’t forget there are lots of good kids too and we cannot tar them with the same brush put up a sign or just don’t answer the door.

If you don’t like halloween ignore it, like valentines day,bon-fire night, christmas, easter, lent, ash wednesday, st Davids, st Georges, st Andrews, st Patricks, summer solstice, new years, boxing day or whatever other day of the year that will be moaned about here year in year out till we all die.

Councillor X
    Participant

Matt – you have some good ideas there and if they stop the rabblements knocking on my door, I would be a (fairly) happy old man. I would also like to see Virginian law come into force. Lock them up, throw away the keys and don’t let them play with their Gameboys and mobile phones.

Our American brothers have given us Halloween, Black Friday, the Proms …. I just pray that we don’t adopt something similar to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Now we have a month or so of nightly fireworks going off before the countdown to “the holidays” (I don’t want to offend anyone by calling it CHRISTMAS) and then a few weeks of fireworks throughout the New Year.

Sorry but I am on one today but this country has gone down the crapper since I were a lad!

Councillor X
    Participant

Birdman – I would LOVE to tar them ALL with the same brush! Maybe this is a tradition we CAN import from America.

zinger
    Participant

I agree with Birdman. You can’t tar all children with the same brush.

Give a dog a bad name & he will live up to it.

Much as I don’t like the new tradition of young children going from door to door on dark nights for safety reasons, I still get a small treat in and have never had any trouble.

It used to be ‘Penny for the Guy mister’ in the old days.

Birdman
    Participant

Councillor X are you able to talk about anything without having a back handed jab at being politically correct? Is it so hard for you to understand the world past 1970? “Lock em up and throw away the key!” how boring and draconian is your thinking is, that as long as you can’t see a problem it’s not a problem.

No one cares about what the world was like when you were a lad because it was so long ago that it was normal to harass women an minorities when you were a lad. How backwards do you think the UK is that you think we might get an equal to the second amendment which was written when single shot muskets were in use.

Literally no one is offended by the term Christmas so say Christmas and get on with your point which is fireworks…

Lastly if you want to talk about tar and feathering someone go find the KKK websites that’s the only place that murderous practice still gets a positive reaction.

Old man yells at cloud

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News