Hackney Carriages

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Hackney Carriages

• Author

jok
    Participant

@Sheefag 19567 wrote:

The first sign of an alternative opinion form a non-hostile audience and you bail? Come on JOK, aren’t you supposed to be Chairman of something?

Your first involvement in this discussion is to accuse me of bailing, that is not the case. I assumed the post had run it’s course and I was just thanking everyone who had contributed. I am prepared to carry on and reply to anyone who wishes to continue the debate.

jok
    Participant

@BenjaminM 19524 wrote:

I really cannot work out what you beef is jok.
    I, along with many, many others do not care what designation is placed on a vehicle as long as it is licenced, appropriately priced and gets me from A to B safely.
    All I can imagine is that you see yourself (and other Hackney licence holders) as somewhat a cut above the rest and deserve some sort of accolade.
    Perhaps another method of identifying Hackney Carriages would be that they are all required to be fitted with personalised number plates. That would sort out the problem, wouldn’t it.?

You will not be able to work out my beef, because I don’t have one. The government has put in place a two tier licensing system, I just wanted to bring to the attention of the public how the system works. Hackney Carriages can be hired in the street immediately and Private Hire Vehicles have to be pre-booked through an operator. I choose to identify my vehicles through colour and personalised number plates so that anyone who hires my vehicles can be in no doubt with whom they have travelled and any queries anyone has about the journey in the taxi or if they have lost or mislaid any property they are able to trace the vehicle they have travelled in. The only accolade I require is from my satisfied customers.

jok
    Participant

@Andy 19537 wrote:

Other Councils licence saloon cars as Hackney Carriages. I cant see why Wrexham cling to their policy. Obviously the public prefer to hire a saloon over a “London Cab” due to the numbers of PH v HC in Wrexham.

Not all Private Hire Vehicles in Wrexham are saloon cars. Wrexham “cling” to their policy because of their previous decision to require Hackney Carriages to be wheelchair accessible so as to comply with the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act, now the Equality Act. The Government made Wrexham a ‘first phase’ Authority, which requires all Hackney Carriages to be 100% wheelchair accessible, I hope this helps. Unless people know the facts it is not always easy to understand the council’s position.

jok
    Participant

@sparky1 19544 wrote:

i think all taxi drivers are chancers overcharge because they know you have no choice

Hackney Carriages are not allowed to overcharge by law and Private Hire Vehicles can charge what they like unless the customer negotiates the fare before the journey commences.

jok
    Participant

@zinger 19538 wrote:

I may have misinterpreted what licencing differences are but I do have a problem with taxis that look like normal cars picking up passengers without being booked. We went to Wembley a couple of years ago, phoned a taxi from the hotel, so didn’t hesitate getting in the taxi which pulled up. We asked him to pick us up for the return journey & arranged a designated pick up point & time. He didn’t turn up. Phoned the taxi company & they had no knowledge of the pick up. They were too busy on the airport runs to pick up as were other companies. We now realise that the taxi which pulled up was just a chancer. Beware!

You have not misinterpreted the licensing system. Always look for a licence plate on the vehicle whether it be Hackney or Private Hire and make sure it is in date. Never flag down a saloon type vehicle if you are a stranger to an area. I am not suggesting that the vehicle is not a Licensed Hackney Carriage as some licensing authorities still licence saloon cars but it is better to be safe than sorry.

jok
    Participant

@The Monitor 19523 wrote:

Who cares? As long as one can get a cab when one needs one. I have used cabs/taxis daily for the past 15 years, so I do have a lot of experience. Incidentally I have never changed the firm once. So, if you are happy with the service they provide…. who cares :)

If you use the same company and you are happy with the service why should you change. If you are on a night out and your usual company do not have a vehicle available would you get into a Private Hire Vehicle that was available without pre-booking? You ask the question, who cares? If you get into a Private Hire Vehicle without pre-booking and the vehicle was involved in an accident and you were injured then you would care as the journey would not have been insured.

jok
    Participant

@sparky1 19544 wrote:

i think all taxi drivers are chancers overcharge because they know you have no choice

Rubbish!

jok
    Participant

@Maureen Gray 19619 wrote:

That’s right Sheefag,

we decide when a thread has run its course not you JOK, unless of course you get cut of…………..

It’s not finished yet

jok
    Participant

@Sheefag 19567 wrote:

The first sign of an alternative opinion form a non-hostile audience and you bail? Come on JOK, aren’t you supposed to be Chairman of something?

Did you mean from?

Sheefag
    Participant

@jok 19632 wrote:

You have not misinterpreted the licensing system. Always look for a licence plate on the vehicle whether it be Hackney or Private Hire and make sure it is in date. Never flag down a saloon type vehicle if you are a stranger to an area. I am not suggesting that the vehicle is not a Licensed Hackney Carriage as some licensing authorities still licence saloon cars but it is better to be safe than sorry.

It’s dishonest and disingenuous to imply that a Hackney taxi is somehow safer than a private hire, John Worboys was a Hackney Carriage driver.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News