Hackney Carriages

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Hackney Carriages

• Author

jok
    Participant

@Maureen Gray 19363 wrote:

Yellow, Blue, Red, Pink – no matter what colour they are always late!!

Seriously though {see Alunh} if they are to be specific to WCBC, perhaps they should all be maroon & grey??

I think you will find that the blue ones are never late, the operator tells the truth and never takes a booking he can’t honour, ask my customers.

jok
    Participant

@Maureen Gray 19363 wrote:

Yellow, Blue, Red, Pink – no matter what colour they are always late!!

Seriously though {see Alunh} if they are to be specific to WCBC, perhaps they should all be maroon & grey??

I would be pleased to see Wrexham County Borough Council colours on Hackney Carriages, but who would fund such an idea? NOT ME.

jok
    Participant

@Travis Bickle 19375 wrote:

Haha was this said with a knowing wink?

Probably, but who knows.

jok
    Participant

@Rex Ham 19361 wrote:

Yes, Jok, I knew that. It is also to do with the insurance they hold with “ply for hire” insurance prices being more expensive than “private hire”.

As for a uniform colour, “Hackney Carriages” come in all sorts of colours these days indeed, I’ve seen a blue one driving round town.

May I respectfully ask you to state whether you immediately recognise the blue London style Hackney Carriage as a licensed taxi as opposed to a Private Hire Vehicle? This is the point I am trying to emphasize to the Environmental Licensing Committee with regard to what vehicles should be licensed as a taxi (Hackney Carriage) in Wrexham?

Travis Bickle
    Participant

Talkinh about the Weather and the infernal equiry into “have you been busy?” are almost NEVER exciting.

Andy
    Participant

Jok. Are the council considering changing the rules on Hackney Carriage Vehicles?

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Yes, and moving the goal post, swinging the lead, pulling the wool, passing the buck and 4 coughing up anything that the consultants suggest!

jok
    Participant

@Andy 19476 wrote:

Jok. Are the council considering changing the rules on Hackney Carriage Vehicles?

Not the rules as such. The Environmental Licensing Committee are considering allowing the same make and model of vehicles that operate as Private Hire Vehicles to be used as Hackney Carriages, for example Mercedes Vito, Renault NX8, Ford Torneau (Transit) and more. There are already many of these vehicles that are licensed as Private Hire Vehicles and I personally do not have a problem with that. The problem I do have however, is that the afore mentioned committee are even considering these vehicles to be licensed as Hackney Carriages when it will be almost impossible for members of the public to differentiate between the two types of licensed vehicles. For the benefit of people who do not know I would like to point out the difference between the two types of licences. Private Hire Vehicles have to be pre-booked via an operator, whether that be by telephone, fax, email or walking into the operators office. Hackney Carriages can be hired from designated taxi ranks or flagged down in the street as seen in films or on the streets of London for example. That said, if the same make and model of a particular vehicle is allowed to be licensed as both Hackney and Private Hire in Wrexham, what chance do the general public have of knowing if they are acting within the law? Public protection should be paramount. Hiring a Private Hire vehicle without pre-booking invalidates the vehicles insurance. Should people be put in a situation a position where they are travelling in an uninsured vehicle? I think not.

Travis Bickle
    Participant

Private Hire – White Plates
    Hackney – Red Plates
    …in layman’s terms.

jok
    Participant

@Travis Bickle 19520 wrote:

Private Hire – White Plates
    Hackney – Red Plates
    …in layman’s terms.

No so. When I first obtained a Licensed Hackney Carriage back in January 1984 it was so simple then, Red Plates for Hackneys and White Plates for those Private Hire drivers that even bothered to get licensed by the then Wrexham Borough Council within Clwyd County Council. It changed when Wrexham County Borough Council came into being. I was issued with a plate that was exactly the same colour, white, as the private hire plate. Obviously I contacted the council with my complaint regarding the problem I had with such an arrangement, they altered my plate. So now we are left with Private Hire Vehicles having a white plate with purple writing and Hackney carriages with a purple plate with white writing, you couldn’t make it up if you tried, could you? How are the public supposed to tell the difference? Hackney Carriages have a plate affixed to the rear of the taxi, Private Hire Vehicles have one plate affixed to the rear of the vehicle and one affixed to the front of the vehicle, they look more like a taxi than a Hackney Carriage, that is a taxi. If you can imagine a Private Hire Vehicle coming towards you and you see a licence plate on the front of the vehicle what is the first thing that comes into your head, I think it is, “HERE COMES A TAXI”. It’s about time Wrexham County Borough sorts itself out before it becomes swallowed by Greater Flintshire

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News