Hackney Carriages

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Hackney Carriages

• Author

jok
    Participant

How many people know the difference between Hackney Carriages, which are licensed taxis that are available for immediate hire from taxi ranks or by being flagged down in the street and Private Hire Vehicles that are only available for hire via a licensed Private Hire Operator by being pre-booked? Wrexham Council’s Environmental Licensing Committee are currently considering a variety of vehicles that could be licensed as Hackney Carriages within Wrexham County Borough. What do the general public perceive as being a taxi and should a taxi be of a certain design or colour that would assure the general public that they are getting into a properly licensed taxi? I personally would prefer a uniform colour, say yellow, as in New York, that would assure the Wrexham public that they would be hiring a taxi that was specific to our town. The decision rests with the Environmental Licensing Committee, I am sure they will get it wrong once again.

Andy
    Participant

There should be a Taxi/Hackney and nothing else. Private Hire should return to what it was. Wedding Cars, Funerals etc.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Yes, Jok, I knew that. It is also to do with the insurance they hold with “ply for hire” insurance prices being more expensive than “private hire”.

As for a uniform colour, “Hackney Carriages” come in all sorts of colours these days indeed, I’ve seen a blue one driving round town.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Yellow, Blue, Red, Pink – no matter what colour they are always late!!

Seriously though {see Alunh} if they are to be specific to WCBC, perhaps they should all be maroon & grey??

justjojo2011
    Participant

Wrexham has Hackney cabs. Usually 3 or 4 of them on King Street. They are perfect if you have young kids in pushchairs and don’t want the hassle of taking the pushchair down and then hoping the seatbelt on the taxi is long enough to go around your car seat. The difference to me, is the size of the vehicle. They tend to look like London Black Cabs whereas I don’t think I’ve seen a private hire vehicle that looks like that.

Travis Bickle
    Participant

@Rex Ham 19361 wrote:

Yes, Jok, I knew that. It is also to do with the insurance they hold with “ply for hire” insurance prices being more expensive than “private hire”.

As for a uniform colour, “Hackney Carriages” come in all sorts of colours these days indeed, I’ve seen a blue one driving round town.

Haha was this said with a knowing wink?

jok
    Participant

@justjojo2011 19369 wrote:

Wrexham has Hackney cabs. Usually 3 or 4 of them on King Street. They are perfect if you have young kids in pushchairs and don’t want the hassle of taking the pushchair down and then hoping the seatbelt on the taxi is long enough to go around your car seat. The difference to me, is the size of the vehicle. They tend to look like London Black Cabs whereas I don’t think I’ve seen a private hire vehicle that looks like that.

That is the whole point of my post, Private Hire Vehicles are not allowed by law to resemble Hackney Carriages (proper taxis) so that the public are able to distinguish the difference between the two types of hire vehicles, one type they can hire immediately, Hackney Carriages and the other type, Private Hire Vehicles, that have to be pre-booked through their respective operators. I hope this explains the situation, I realise it may be difficult to take on board the difference to many members of the public. That is why I would recommend a single colour policy for Hackney Carriages (proper taxis)

jok
    Participant

@Andy 19360 wrote:

There should be a Taxi/Hackney and nothing else. Private Hire should return to what it was. Wedding Cars, Funerals etc.

If only

jok
    Participant

@Rex Ham 19361 wrote:

I have seen one as well with my wife driving it as I look out across the blue bonnet of the blue one I am driving.

jok
    Participant

@Sheefag 19358 wrote:

Yeah.
    Thanks for clearing that up Jok, been on my mind for some time now.

It has been on my mind for the last 40 years.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News