Groves School to Art Centre?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Groves School to Art Centre?

• Author

Rob
    Participant

Rondetto
    Participant

It’s just around the corner from me, I’ve watched them take it down. It’s been an eyesore for many years.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I attended school there for a year when the comprehensive schools came into being. The part demolished was an ugly building, a concrete monstrosity. The ground floor held the final year students cafeteria. A posh name for the most depressing room in the place. The decor was terrible. Big yellow circles and swirls if my memory serves me well. I hated the place and couldn’t wait to leave. I was hauled before the headmistress for threatening another girl! She wanted my boyfriend so reported me. I told her afterwards if I was being accused I might as well be guilty. I never saw anyone run so fast, silly girl :rolleyes:

wxm
    Participant

Well now is the test for us all I guess. Not understanding the detail here, the Council own this site? And will now do something different with it? In the forum, it was mentioned that the Council owned Eaglesmeadow and then sold it for the new development?

What is going to happen with The Groves site, and why?

zinger
    Participant

Isn’t there a covenant that says that it must be used for educational purposes? We need to remember these old covenants. I do hope that they don’t try to get around that by building yet more student flats. They could always pull down those hateful monstrosities that they call ‘super’ schools & build a smaller well built school which future generations will love & respect like Grove Park.

Alunh
    Participant

I still can’t work out why the Council didn’t try and persuade St Joseph’s to stay on this site after 2006 given the need at that time to give St Joseph’s a major overhaul. I believe the Covenant allows the land to revert to the Cunliffe family if attempts are made to remove the Educational input (though I may be wrong). If we were in England, I would suggest that a group of Entrepreneurs or local organisations be launched to provide some sort of choice at Secondary level- the town surely needs it!!

wxm
    Participant

Do we know what will happen with this property next – both the buildings and the greenery?

If the retail centre is over supplied, and housing has loads of allocated land around, would it be too much to ask for a place where people could truly enjoy themselves?

wrexview
    Participant

If it was England then it would probably become one of the new Free Schools.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If the building is expensive to upkeep and is not needed for education purposes then why not let it go?

wxm
    Participant

Cool. What should we do with the “green space” next . . .

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News