Grosvenor Rd buildings

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Grosvenor Rd buildings

• Author

Adam
    Participant

Well who could have predicted that. Council demolish historic buildings for short term financial gain with little thought of long term consequences.

That’s really going to attract businesses to the other unoccupied buildings on Grosvenor road.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Groves school suffers same fate – let a building fall in to such a state that it becomes “uneconomical to maintain”.

Sadly my anger is slowly turning to apathy..

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Grosvenor Road is looking very sad of late which is such a shame as there are some lovely buildings there. Most of the buildings have ample parking and are in a good position and I have never understood why someone hasn’t converted the buildings into flats. Economic forces perhaps.

NJones
    Participant

The stumbling block I believe is the fact that the buildings are in a conservation area and the glass front to 3-5 Grosvenor road has protected status. In short they can knock down the buildings but have to keep the front walls to maintain the ‘look’ of the street.

zinger
    Participant

I haven’t read this story yet as I have just come home from South Wales. This smacks to me of the Queen Street / Vegetable Market frontage. That was left to stand until it became dangerous. I have been waiting for this to happen on Grosvenor Road. South Wales, I note, is having billions of £’s spent on roads, estates, schools, municiple buildings etc. Where are our politicians. The Grosvenor Road buildings should have been retained for the local government offices instead of building new offices in Lampit Street. It is the last stand for decent street status.

Rondetto
    Participant

I agree that the buildings on Grosvenor road are beautiful buildings. I may be wrong but I thought the old Miners welfare building was paid for by the miners themselves. My father once told me that they agreed to pay via their wages to have that. If that is the case then where did the money from the sale go?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@Rondetto 6253 wrote:

I agree that the buildings on Grosvenor road are beautiful buildings. I may be wrong but I thought the old Miners welfare building was paid for by the miners themselves. My father once told me that they agreed to pay via their wages to have that. If that is the case then where did the money from the sale go?

My guess would be Council coffers!

wxm
    Participant

Not good! People with energy & money will go elsewhere. When will politicians and decision makers smell the coffee

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@NJones 6250 wrote:

The stumbling block I believe is the fact that the buildings are in a conservation area and the glass front to 3-5 Grosvenor road has protected status. In short they can knock down the buildings but have to keep the front walls to maintain the ‘look’ of the street.

Like they said they would with the veg market…

wxm
    Participant

Look at Wrexham, no real investment going on, unless its businesses that have been here a long time and are trading strongly outside the area and internationally – not many of those. Local business is not good. Ambition is not happening in Wrexham, people are expected to live against what is starting to look like a dictated model. Businesses are looking haggered, buildings not painted and looking sharp – little or no pride!

Nobody is going to invest in Grosvenor Road. And what do the authorities do, use laws to preserve the past as they see it, prevent true enterprise, and then use tax payers money to create jobs that taxes have to pay for, such as a prison.

The markets that were destroyed, are now the authentic retail footprint that most towns & communities seek. When will Wrexham show its listening, and start to work with its people? Grosvenor Road today, where tomorrow?

zinger
    Participant

WCBC have an awful track record with regards to buildings. We have very little faith in them with good reason. They will never be forgiven for what has happened to our beautiful buildings. If it hadn’t been for Frank Wingett, the War Memorial Hospital would have been demolished. Thanks to him & his ilk, it has been made into a college of which any town would be proud. Certainly not thanks to the town planners. Why don’t they listen to us?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News