Gresford Rounabout problems

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Gresford Rounabout problems

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7674 wrote:
    Democracy is defined as: ‘for the people by the people’, ie we as electors, elect Councillors to act on our behalf, it must be a reasonable assumption that they act in the best interests of us all, as they see it.
    It is a nonsense to even suggest that the electorate should be consulted directly (in the form of a referendum, I assume) on every decision that is made on our behalf, by elected representatives.
    As for blatantly pointing a finger at individual Councillors for decisions made,it is entirely wrong as they all share a collective responsibility.
    In addition, just remember that the decisions made are based on recommendations of Officers of the Council, who, like it or not, are more skilled and qualified in their respective fields, than either you or I.
    Rather than griping to all and sundry through this particular medium, it is more appropriate to bring such matters to the attention of the Councillor that represents you.
    That is the way to achieve change rather than metaphorically talking it over in the pub or over the garden fence.
    Stand up and be counted if your beliefs are so strong. Councillors don’t bite!

Please point me in the direction of a politicial party or councillor manifesto that included it.. If nothing in them then the councillors clearly have no mandate to have voted on it.

Please provide the experience and qualifications the officers of the council have on cycle lanes?

I agree the councillors don’t bite, they also don’t answer or reply.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I would not expect to see in any manifesto a statement to that effect, it is a given as we live in a democratic society where we have representatives to speak on our behalf. Imagine not having representatives, the Council chamber would potentially be full of all and sundry shouting to be heard.
    It is obvious that you do not understand the meaning of democracy. It is where the few represent the voice of many ie for the people by the people.
    As for providing proof (here we go again), that is nonsensical in the extreme. I am aware that there are codes of practice covering such matters and they are applied across the country, albeit with different interpretations in different areas, but ostensibly the same.
    If you are desirous of further increasing your knowledge base, perhaps, may I suggest a little bedtime reading on the topic.
    The Councillor who represents the ward I live in is very conscientious and willing to listen and indeed put sensible points forward. Perhaps it is the way they are approached that makes a difference. Going in with guns blazing is not the recommended method of achieving success. Perhaps a little humility might be the order of the day.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7681 wrote:
    I would not expect to see in any manifesto a statement to that effect, it is a given as we live in a democratic society where we have representatives to speak on our behalf. Imagine not having representatives, the Council chamber would potentially be full of all and sundry shouting to be heard.
    It is obvious that you do not understand the meaning of democracy. It is where the few represent the voice of many ie for the people by the people.
    As for providing proof (here we go again), that is nonsensical in the extreme. I am aware that there are codes of practice covering such matters and they are applied across the country, albeit with different interpretations in different areas, but ostensibly the same.
    If you are desirous of further increasing your knowledge base, perhaps, may I suggest a little bedtime reading on the topic.
    The Councillor who represents the ward I live in is very conscientious and willing to listen and indeed put sensible points forward. Perhaps it is the way they are approached that makes a difference. Going in with guns blazing is not the recommended method of achieving success. Perhaps a little humility might be the order of the day.

Why not name your councillor?

why not provide the said documentation? I note you are also backtracking on saying the officers of the council have the relevant qualifications and skills.

We don’t live in a democracy, we live in a constitutional monarchy, the council is a oligarchy. For which on numerous occasions you have freely upheld over those who care for their community.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Just remember, this thread started out about Gresford roundabout and I have no desire to depart from that topic by entering into meaningless side issues with you.
    I have no intention of providing details of the C of P for cycle paths as that is totally irrelevant to the thread.
    With regard to being a democratic society, I wholeheartedly adhere to that principle and treat with disdain your woeful distortion of Society today. How can you possibly advocate that the Council is an oligarchy when the Councillors are duly elected by the will of the people at the ballot box.
    Questions, questions. Write something sensible and on topic for once. You may glean a modicum of respect for your future missives.

Mike Davies
    Participant

@BenjaminM 7681 wrote:

BenjaminM, There was no real public consultation about the plan for the “super schools”. The only time the public were asked for their opinions was when they were asked to suggest names for the new schools, after the decision had already been made to build them. That whole fiasco turned out to be a mess.

Nothing new in Wrexham Council doing what it thinks is best without asking the public what they think is best.

zinger
    Participant

I do believe that most Councillors stand for election initially with the very best of intentions. Rightly or wrongly they think that they can try to change what they perceive to be wrong about our town. I believe that they become waylaid by a number of political councillors who are in it as a means to an end. ‘They’ often are not living in the area & have no connection to it. It should be that a councillor should live within a five mile radius of the area that he represents. The trouble is that there is no one to stand against them. How many are returned unopposed I wonder, by a party of a different persuasion. As for Gresford roundabout, wouldn’t it be better if the lanes were marked as they are in other parts of the country.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The Councillors are elected to serve their term by us and if we, as individuals do not like it, we have the right to cast our vote the next time round accordingly.
    By the very fact that we elect representatives, we are consulted. Are you advocating a referendum on every contentious issue?
    The Council, as we all do, make mistakes on occasions or make decisions that seem unpopular. I am certainly not the number 1 fan of WCBC but I do believe that decisions are made in what they believe to be the best interest of the County.
    Democracy is based on, as I have stated above, by the people for the people and I am at a loss as to how a more effective way could be formulated to provide consultation as you suggest.
    Remember from previous exercises of that ilk, apathy reigns in Wrexham apart from a very vociferous minority, to whom nothing will ever be right.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7688 wrote:
    Are you advocating a referendum on every contentious issue?

Yes

This is not a democracy, because the wrexham public never decided on the voting structure or organisation of the council.

You haven’t told us who your councillor is yet? Why not?

Furthermore you’re not in a position to say whether voters are apathetical because you criticise anyone who wants to defend their community via using the political process by labeling them as NIMBYs.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The name of my Councillor has absolutely nothing to do with the debate on this thread and I have no intention of telling you. Perhaps you’d like to know what I’ve had for my evening meal?
    Check the surveys that have been carried out by WCBC for results before making categoric statements about my knowledge.
    Do the shop floor workers in industry or commerce decide on the hierarchical structure and make up of the organisation they are part of, or the voting strategy at board meetings? No.
    My advice, speak about things you have knowledge of and not try to be a jack of all trades.
    Whatever you reply or intend to reply, be advised, it will not receive any response from me as I am tired of the complete irrelevancy in the majority of your posts.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7692 wrote:
    The name of my Councillor has absolutely nothing to do with the debate on this thread and I have no intention of telling you. Perhaps you’d like to know what I’ve had for my evening meal?
    Check the surveys that have been carried out by WCBC for results before making categoric statements about my knowledge.
    Do the shop floor workers in industry or commerce decide on the hierarchical structure and make up of the organisation they are part of, or the voting strategy at board meetings? No.
    My advice, speak about things you have knowledge of and not try to be a jack of all trades.
    Whatever you reply or intend to reply, be advised, it will not receive any response from me as I am tired of the complete irrelevancy in the majority of your posts.

Then i don’t believe you about your councillor. The council will not give statistics on what percentage of emails or contacts the councillors reply to.

so you believe that voters are just ‘shop floor workers’? – that’s not a democracy is it? that’s a oligarchy.

I note that again you call people names. I note that you are willing to say i haven’t got the skills to give an opinion, but you are unable to back up you’re own skills on the subject.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News

“Wrexham is the place for investment” says Lead councillor for economy

News

Welsh Government will ‘look again’ at A483 junctions upgrades after scrapping plan last year

News

Former PCSO leads crime fighting mission in North Wales with cash seized from criminals

News

The Wrexham Lager Beer Co secures new listings with Welsh supermarkets

News

Last chance to apply for proxy vote ahead of PCC election

News