Good luck to Total Fitness….but a few hiccups?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Good luck to Total Fitness….but a few hiccups?

• Author

Simon
    Participant

It will be interesting to see in the economic climate if Wrexham can support three national chains in the town, with a fourth, Pure Gym also expressing an interest in opening a budget 24-hour venue in the town.

Everyone’s different. Some of us aren’t shy when it comes to complaining as a consumer, paying their money. So, I press the buttons on behalf of someone else.
    The person in question joined Total Fitness, signing up to a tariff of £39.99 per month, to a company which doesn’t offer an off-peak rate,just slight concessions for ‘Corporate membership’ and over 55’s.
    He enjoys running. It’s a passion. But not in the dark nights for safety reasons on the roads. Understandable.
    Total Fitness advertised, with a picture, a circular running track on their official-club page. Just like their Prenton venue. The picture has since disappeared, after complaints on their TF Wrexham Facebook page.
    My friend, has turned up on their open weekend and found no circular running track. Just a 20 metre sprint track. Just Google TF and their 12–month contract…. only in exceptional cases will they stop hounding for direct debit. Okay, a signed contract. Everyone should be FULLY aware of this as PRIORITY when joining a gym. At the same time, the consumer should be protected from companies who put images of circular running tracks on their venue web pages…..remove it after complaints, and expect to get away with it when they turn up on Open Weekend to find they have been hoodwinked.

Simon
    Participant

The company lawyers have undoubtedly proofed the contact.   Has the company trained the sales team likewise as a matter of consumer-priority to advertise them that they are entering a 12-month contract?  This should be a priority today surely in a society of ever-increasing litigation?

Before you sign a national company’s contract you should be advised that you are obliged to a 12-mth contract surely?

As for advertising a national-club venue with images of a circular running track on its website, and removing them,and consumers turning up at it’s Open-Weekend & Robbie Savage on a Monday to open the club, and finding no circular running track but a 20m ‘sprint track’ instead isn’t on.

Simon
    Participant

Apologies for replying to my own thread.  In EXCEPTIONAL cases when Total Fitness give a refund…..they charge a £100 ‘Admin charge’? .  Everything’s electronic these days isn’t it?  They must pay a minimum wage to their people in their offices?  If they’re forced to get out of a contract, for RARE cases, like you have a terminal illness, not even moving with work to a country with no venue, they charge you a £100 ‘Admin charge’?

Google it. :good:

Daave63
    Participant

Bloody-Hell Simon, give someone else a chance! I can understand your devastation at turning up to find no ‘circular track’ and only a measly 20mm sprint track, but surly the biggest disappointment must have been the sight of Robbie Savage on the door! I hope he wasn’t wearing them tight gold pants he does on the BingoBongo ads?

As for your legalcontractmumbojumbo, why not take it to the European High Court or even Ian Lucas?  And why not save your £39.99 round the car park!  :wacko:

Simon
    Participant

The person I’m writing for is UPSET.  Tied to a contract for £39.99 pm he wasn’t explained that he was tied to, mis-guided on a National Gym-group website with false images which have since disappeared….

I’m yet to see  Derren Brown etc make a circular running track advertised on a company’s website, disappear when the punters arrive on Open Day and still charge people for it ‘cos they’re in a contract.

maybe you can flirt £39.99 pm away and give it a rest eh? Lucky boy.

Daave63
    Participant

Sorry Simon, didn’t realise you felt so strongly about it. I meant to say ‘why not save your £39.99 and run round the car park!’ therefore saving your money. And no, I cannot afford to flirt away £39.99pm, but then again I work full time!

Simon
    Participant

And your hobby is looking for someone on a public forum, entitled to their view, or putting forward someone else’s case forward who might not have that medium themselves, and telling them to “give it a rest” & what to do?

High Roller.  Perhaps you can can make a philanthropist-type donation and pay for the poor little waif in question’s ill-gained direct debit?  If not, give it a rest.

Daave63
    Participant

[quote quote=81531]And your hobby is looking for someone on a public forum, entitled to their view, or putting forward someone else’s case forward who might not have that medium themselves, and telling them to “give it a rest” & what to do? High Roller. Perhaps you can can make a philanthropist-type donation and pay for the poor little waif in question’s ill-gained direct debit? If not, give it a rest. [/quote]

Saint Simon, I never said ‘give it a rest ‘ or tell them what to do, re-read the thread. We all make mistakes, I know I did. :heart:

Sheefag
    Participant

If what is stated above is correct and accurate, then Total Fitness are in clear breach of ‘The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading. Regulations 2008 (CPRs)’ which legislates against ‘Bait & Switch’.
    If the £100 admin charge is incurred as a result of the above, then I would comfortably argue that TF are then in breach of 4.6 of the ‘Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts. Regulations 1999.’
    A ‘MoneyClaim Online’ action can be carried out at minimal recoverable cost in about 15 minutes from the comfort of your armchair and my experience is that the larger the company, the less chance there is of them contesting it.
    Links for reading –

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/contents/made

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284426/oft311.pdf

AMA Express
    Participant

Caveat Emptor comes to mind.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News