Glyndwr "University’s" fresh approach to boosting student employability WTAF?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Glyndwr "University’s" fresh approach to boosting student employability WTAF?

• Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are they taking the p1ss?

Happiness club and some jokey cloth bags?

What a joke that place truly is.

Matt
    Participant

I have to admit it does sound like a compete and utter farce & the whole cotton wool needing absurdity is going to make them even less employable.

Back in the day whether it was leaving school, leaving college or graduating from Uni or even just looking for part time evening or weekend work on the side – it was always the same – go round all the employers and ask if they have got work – be keen. Then when you had the job you worked hard to impress your boss/manager and you just bloody got on with it. Take on more responsibility, get a pay rise and then a good reference when you want to move onto something better/different.

You didn’t do the job to bloody be happy, yea it’s okay if you have a laugh with work colleagues etc… but if you wanted to actually do stuff that cost money when still living at home you weren’t propped up by your parents and then when you moved out you really had to knuckle down to keep a roof over your head and not starve!

These Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions and bloody Happiness Club are giving some kind of ludicrous insanity that someone is going to come and just hand you the plum job you want to do when you leave Uni and that you are doing your employer a favour by gracing their place of work at 9am every morning – when you are in fact a dime a dozen replaceable.

We don’t need whingeing bastard snowflake millennials cluttering up offices, factories, the streets etc… etc… complaining that real life is a bit too hard and they might quit the job over their manager shouting at then once, or pull a sickie because they had a couple of WKD blues the night before when people 10-20-30 years older than them who are not at the peak of their youth are knuckling down to support themselves and their families or face dire consequences.

Absolute credit to the countless ones who no doubt go out and graft and earn a living on the side of studying etc… but the very idea that some bullshit herbal tea drinking, hugging circle jerk is going to make an interviewer stand up and think bloody hell let’s take 10 of these ‘Wet Behind the Ears Wendy’s’ on because they mention this in their interviews is laughable.

I might sound a bit heartless but don’t get me wrong workplace stress/mental health is important and you just talk to someone if you are not feeling 100% and most decent people at work will help you out. But treating young people like they aren’t going to be able to cope with the workplace before they even get there is pure foolishness.

AMA Express
    Participant

Do they get one of these ?

Ferret
    Participant

Matt. Does it ever occur to you that these looooong rambling essays are a bit…well boring as hell? I never get past the first paragraph.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=152525]Matt. Does it ever occur to you that these looooong rambling essays are a bit…well boring as hell? I never get past the first paragraph.[/quote]

My apologies, may I recommend the Wrexham.com Facebook Comments section – perhaps a bit more suited to your attention span & intellectual level.

Sheefag
    Participant

You are a bit of a whiny twat, Matt. No offence like.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=152528]You are a bit of a whiny twat, Matt. No offence like.[/quote]

You positively count on it though Sheefag ;) if none of us complained you’d have no cause to be here.

Ferret
    Participant

There you go. A couple of short snappy posts. Well done son, much better. Try to resist the urge to respond.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=152547]There you go. A couple of short snappy posts. Well done son, much better. Try to resist the urge to respond.[/quote]

Yawn. Return to lurking for another 8 months – or whatever it is you do.

Fugazi3973
    Participant

Well, I have to admit it sounds a complete and utter farce. The whole cotton wool needing absurdity makes them even less employable.

Previously, when leaving school or college, graduating, or looking for weekend work, you followed a plan. You would go round to potential employers and ask if they had any vacancies, show keen. When you had the job, you worked hard to impress your manager, and you bloody got on with it. With time, you’d take on further duties and get a pay rise. Further along the line, earn a good reference when you wished to move on to pastures new.
    You didn’t choose your employment for laughs. You’d have fun with workmates, but if you needed something extra when living at home, you got it without your parents’ help. When you moved out you had to slog to keep a house and not starve!

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Happiness Clubs fuel the dream they’ll be handed a plum role when they graduate. That they will be doing their boss a favour by showing up at their door at 9 am every morning. The reality is, they are replaceable.

What we don’t need is moaning millennials cluttering up workplaces, wailing life is hard and they’ll quit if their boss yells. Or pull a sickie after drinking two WKD blues the preceding night. Whilst co-workers 30 years older are striving to support themselves and their families or face the flak.

Credit is due to the countless ones who graft and earn a living on the side of studying, etc. But believing this herbal tea supping, hugging circle jerk will make an interviewer give them a job is laughable.
    Now, I appreciate this might sound heartless. It’s understood that workplace stress/mental health is important. But treating young adults as if they won’t be able to cope with the workplace is pure foolishness.

There we go Ferret, ‘dumbed down’ while still retaining the essence I believe.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News