Glyndwr Uni Get Unfair Pasting on Violent Crime?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Glyndwr Uni Get Unfair Pasting on Violent Crime?

• Author

Rob
    Participant

We have just put Did Glyndwr Uni Get Unfair Pasting on Violent Crime? | Wrexham.com up , asking the question “Did Glyndwr Uni Get Unfair Pasting on Violent Crime?”

The crux being a survey announcing the town tops the league for violent crimes, while ignoring certain types of crime and having a three mile radius from a university as its data source.

This is what a one mile radius looks like:

uni-crime-map-april-2012-500x373.jpg

Do you think its unfair criticism?
    Do think it uncovers a wider crime issue in town?

wrexview
    Participant

The top 18 highest places for robbery and assaults went to London Institutions in this survey. Glyndwr is one of the highest outside London for “violent ” crime other than robbery and assaults presumably. People should not take too much notice is a snap shot of some statistics taken out of context. Unfair on Glyndwr yes !

MadMan
    Participant

Many Universities are outside of the centre so this is absolute pointless and Daily Post should think of the area it serves and think before publishing a headline like that therefore wrexham.com is better quality journalism.

NJones
    Participant

I’ve never seen any problems and have been around that area very often. A very unfair piece of research delivered out of context.

TheyCallMeMrHibbs
    Participant

I’m afraid independent crime stats expert Dan Lewis from ukcrimestats.com specifically mentioned Wrexham in relation to violent crime only a few months ago, at my citizen engagement event in Llandudno on 24th March.

So, regrettably, it’s probably not as unfair as it feels.

What puzzles me is why we have a youth curfew on 13-17 year-olds in Bangor at present when we don’t have one for 18-24 year-olds in Wrexham city centre at least on certain days of the week?!

I’d be interested in debating this further with all ‘Wrexhamites’ – my office is on the Technology Park so I don’t get to spend as much time in the city centre as you guys probably do. (NB I’m in town tomorrow if anyone wants to pop in for a chat.)

Actually I don’t think I believe that a 6-month curfew, however effective, can possibly be proportionate in a relatively low-risk area like North Wales. Except in emergencies or other truly exceptional circumstances. They’re really a form of punishment that affects all of us, without addressing the behaviours of a relatively small group of anti-social individuals. These just get displaced to the nearest neighbouring area outside the curfew zone, or remain indoors potentially resulting in more alcohol-fuelled domestic violence.

What worries me most is the suggestion this week from political parties about targetting 100 crime hotspots in North Wales. We’ll have 100 curfews before you know it if they get elected as Police Commissioners, with no police resources left for targetting real criminals.

Richard Hibbs
    Independent Candidate for Police & Crime Commissioner in North Wales
    c/o Integral Business Support Ltd, Wrexham Technology Park
    http://www.regonline.co.uk/e-plan

justjojo2011
    Participant

I think the unfair part is to assume anyone aged between 16 and 24 needs to be on a curfew. Why does society do that? Its just like that stereotype that assumes anyone wearing a hoodie MUST be a violent thug. My 4 year old has hoodies, but he’s not out breaking into cars.

I think it is fairer to say that anyone of any age can be a trouble maker and end up in trouble with the police be they 10 or 90.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor