Gerting High in Wrexham for free

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Gerting High in Wrexham for free

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

Having been around town today I hadn’t realised how easy it was to get high on ‘weed’ free- the streets were very quiet with only a few shoppers but in most streets, people were openly smoking weed. They wandered around leaving a vapour trail behind them
    Before anyone jumps in and says it is the street drugies again this was not the case as nearly all of them looked under the age of 20.
    With this number smoking weed then no matter how much is done to help the current cohort of street drug users there is another potential group fast approaching the same life style.
    Every parent or grandparent must surely be smelling their youngsters’ clothes when they arrive home- but how many accept their youngster saying they haven’t been smoking weed it was others that were with them. You need to have the conversation before they slip into a life using other substances as well.

Liam
    Participant

Cannabis is generally not thought to lead to people taking harder substances.
    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

billycoen
    Participant

Be honest though,it smells nicer than a woodbine.

TimRegency
    Participant

I wish they would just get on with legalising it. The A&Es are not stuffed with weed users on Friday and Saturday nights. Some of these drugs could be great for medicinal use too, but because people can only think in black and white, legal or illegal, we’re not moving on.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Liam I’m sure you are aware the article link you posted is actually to a US site and not UK
    The jury is quite clearly out on the impact of cannabis as a gateway drug to other substance misuse – what is quite clear though on the issues is that prolonged use of cannabis has a psychological and phycological impact on the individuals over a longer period. Cannabis is an alien product to the human body and as such and as such is likely to be detrimental – the impact is not like a broken bone when it is visible but hidden in a way it might take years to manifest.

How many of the health-related issues we have today may have been developed from actions of a parent and without more research links will remain tenuous.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2015/mar/03/is-cannabis-a-gateway-drug

Liam
    Participant

As mentioned above, the Maelor and society in general is worse affected by the legal drug that is alcohol. I’ve also noticed weed seems to be smoked quite freely round town. Probably indicates that police recognise it as low impact too.

Matt
    Participant

Police and Crime Commissioner for North Wales is pro-legalisation of cannabis and advocate of the opening of cannabis cafes in the country plus use for medicinal treatment purposes across the health service.

It’s also a well circulated fact that despite cannabis being reclassified as a Class B drug – there are hardly any instances where stop and search is carried out on those openly smoking weed as the smell of cannabis alone is not even a legitimate probable cause reason for stop and search. Additional evidence is required that might suggest that the individual has possession of significant quantities of the drug with intent to supply – e.g. sets off a sniffer dog or other intelligence gathered – suspicious dealer type behaviour. Obviously the odour can be used in suspicion of drug driving as would the smell of alcohol on breath be an indicator of drink driving. Those in charge of vehicles are held to a higher account due to higher levels of risk associated with dangerous driving and death due to intoxication.

But ultimately the majority of individuals will be able to smoke up in public completely free of any hindrance from law enforcement unless they are actively creating any other kind of public nuisance or crime.

With the entire relaxed attitude to the recreational use of cannabis by law enforcement and the glorification of smoking up in popular music, film and TV culture because of the almost legal status in Hollywood – parents are going to have a very hard time deterring youngsters from doing the same. I also very much doubt any children of parents who grew up in the 60s or later will be very anti-weed anyway.

Mental health and other health concerns – well it goes without saying anything in too high a quantity is bad for you and it will affect some people negatively – just look at chocolate for example. Far more people clogging up the NHS due to obesity issues than anything else.

Understanding health effects and regulation would be easier if it was legalised. Just look st alcohol and tobacco. I’m sure government would love to be able to tax it too.

AMA Express
    Participant

Additional evidence is required that might suggest that the individual has possession of significant quantities of the drug with intent to supply – e.g. sets off a sniffer dog…..

You have no idea just how little “sets off a sniffer dog”

Matt
    Participant

When they have the drug dogs out they are carrying out specific drug enforcement and detection activity so it is to be expected that even the slightest whiff will get them going and anyone who has the slightest amount will be caught out. But the fact of the matter is that the average officer on the street isn’t going round with a drug dog looking for those who have just lit up – so when they are not with dog – it goes unenforced. If they were that interested in catching everyone out there’d be drug dogs everywhere.

Councillor X
    Participant

This has been a problem in Wrexham for a long time and it has never been addressed.

I have friends who have visited the town with me and asked what that funny smell is and I explain that its Amsterdam ambience.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Employees smash Manchester Marathon in aid of North East Wales Mind

News

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News