Gap recruitment

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Gap recruitment

• Author

123windows
    Participant

I know most recruitment agencies are useless but Gap are terrible. Was told by Donna in the office that I was unsuitable for a simple packing job that a 10 year old could do, and whenever I ring them up from the jobcentre with a printout from the job point, they say that the job “doesn’t exist yet” When I told them that I had a printout in my hand saying that the job had an immediate start, they got flustered and put the phone down. Same thing if you see a job vacancy in the window and go in to ask about it, they tell you it doesn’t exist ??!!! Have even had my perfectly genuine birth certificate rejected by the smarmy manager in there when I tried to sign up for Sharps a while ago. Have even heard stories that the owners rent out property in the Smithfield area to all the foreign workers and that’s why they prefer to hire them as it garuantees that they’ll get their rent money paid back. Anyone else had bad experiences from dealing with them ?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Borras81 3282 wrote:

I know most recruitment agencies are useless but Gap are terrible. Was told by Donna in the office that I was unsuitable for a simple packing job that a 10 year old could do, and whenever I ring them up from the jobcentre with a printout from the job point, they say that the job “doesn’t exist yet” When I told them that I had a printout in my hand saying that the job had an immediate start, they got flustered and put the phone down. Same thing if you see a job vacancy in the window and go in to ask about it, they tell you it doesn’t exist ??!!! Have even had my perfectly genuine birth certificate rejected by the smarmy manager in there when I tried to sign up for Sharps a while ago. Have even heard stories that the owners rent out property in the Smithfield area to all the foreign workers and that’s why they prefer to hire them as it garuantees that they’ll get their rent money paid back. Anyone else had bad experiences from dealing with them ?

bits you have personal experience of…
    “I know most recruitment agencies are useless but Gap are terrible. Was told by Donna in the office that I was unsuitable for a simple packing job that a 10 year old could do, and whenever I ring them up from the jobcentre with a printout from the job point, they say that the job “doesn’t exist yet” When I told them that I had a printout in my hand saying that the job had an immediate start, they got flustered and put the phone down. Same thing if you see a job vacancy in the window and go in to ask about it, they tell you it doesn’t exist ??!!! Have even had my perfectly genuine birth certificate rejected by the smarmy manager in there when I tried to sign up for Sharps a while ago. “

bits you have no proof on …
    “Have even heard stories that the owners rent out property in the Smithfield area to all the foreign workers and that’s why they prefer to hire them as it garuantees that they’ll get their rent money paid back.”

KKOB
    Participant

@Borras81 3282 wrote:

I know most recruitment agencies are useless but Gap are terrible

Which other recruitement agencies have you had experience of ?

Why are they useless ?

Why are there so many of them thriving in the UK ?

Why do so many UK companies prefer to outsource their staff recruitment to agencies ?

abidwd
    Participant

Seems like everyone who works in GAP called Donna..
    anyway, seen worse than that, some agencies tried to charge me for having my CV on their database.
    I also got refused when I applied for a job on minimum wages because when I had their test I scored 94.7% instead of 95%.
    As far as I know, agencies only allowed to have your personal data on their system for a period of time only, used to be 6 months (not sure if this has changed). however, what they do is when the 6 months due to finish they phone you up and offer to put your details through for a vacancy (might not exist anyway), if you said yes , then your 6 months will be renewed automatically.

The best thing you can do, as I can see you are looking for a job, you go direct to factories, supermarkets and knock on their doors, even if they outsource their hiring, the manager can phone up the agency and asks for you specifically, then they can arrange for you to sign up.
    Equal opportunities policies do not work in most cases, but not all businesses prefer foreign workers, and do not think that local authorities do not know how agencies make money.

Good luck

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    abidwd;3319 wrote:
    Seems like everyone who works in GAP called Donna..
    anyway, seen worse than that, some agencies tried to charge me for having my CV on their database.
    I also got refused when I applied for a job on minimum wages because when I had their test I scored 94.7% instead of 95%.
    As far as I know, agencies only allowed to have your personal data on their system for a period of time only, used to be 6 months (not sure if this has changed). however, what they do is when the 6 months due to finish they phone you up and offer to put your details through for a vacancy (might not exist anyway), if you said yes , then your 6 months will be renewed automatically.

The best thing you can do, as I can see you are looking for a job, you go direct to factories, supermarkets and knock on their doors, even if they outsource their hiring, the manager can phone up the agency and asks for you specifically, then they can arrange for you to sign up.
    Equal opportunities policies do not work in most cases, but not all businesses prefer foreign workers, and do not think that local authorities do not know how agencies make money.

Good luck

as far as i remember re: data protection – a recruitment company can keep the records for as long as they deem they are needed.

Remember the information belongs to you, so you can ask them to delete the data or find out what data they have on you.

better not to burn bridges and say with a polite smile “can i clarify what data you have for me” rather than frown ” tell me what data you have on me.”

In the end recruitment companies are like estate agents, they are the agent for both the seller and the buyer whilst make as much money as they can for themselves.

abidwd
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3322 wrote:

as far as i remember re: data protection – a recruitment company can keep the records for as long as they deem they are needed.

Remember the information belongs to you, so you can ask them to delete the data or find out what data they have on you.

better not to burn bridges and say with a polite smile “can i clarify what data you have for me” rather than frown ” tell me what data you have on me.”

In the end recruitment companies are like estate agents, they are the agent for both the seller and the buyer whilst make as much money as they can for themselves.

Sorry, my mistake, i was not clear on this, you are correct ,ACT 98 does say what period.
    I meant to say not allowed to share your data, meaning after a period of time, they cannot just fax your CV over to a client with your permission.

KKOB
    Participant

@abidwd 3323 wrote:

they cannot just fax your CV over to a client with your permission.

I think you mean “without”.

abidwd
    Participant

@KKOB 3329 wrote:

I think you mean “without”.

Absolutely. cheers kkob

cymruambyth
    Participant

Change your name to Zawadzka or Novak and problem solved! You’ll get a job the same day! :P

In all seriousness, the key to getting work in any agency is persistence and patience. I signed up with Gap a couple of years ago and I didn’t get anything for ages – I would go into the branch or call them almost every day to ask for work. They need to know your face otherwise you’re just a name on a long, long list of people. Good luck!

KKOB
    Participant

You need to sign-up with at least 4 agencies. Once you get a job from a particular agency, stick with ’em.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News