Free Parking in December

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Free Parking in December

• Author

BorrasBill
    Participant

I understand that Wrexham Council have decided to make all it’s car parks free in December, to help attract Christmas shoppers. This sounds good in theory, but surely what will happen is that people who work in the town centre, and currently park just outside and walk in, will now drive in and use the car parks. By 9:00 a.m. they will be full, defeating the whole idea. It would be better to make them free for a period, say 3 hours, this would help shoppers more.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=122835]I understand that Wrexham Council have decided to make all it’s car parks free in December, to help attract Christmas shoppers. This sounds good in theory, but surely what will happen is that people who work in the town centre, and currently park just outside and walk in, will now drive in and use the car parks. By 9:00 a.m. they will be full, defeating the whole idea. It would be better to make them free for a period, say 3 hours, this would help shoppers more.

[/quote]

Never thought about that but I think you may turn out to be correct.

Councillor X
    Participant

Short stay car parks will remain short stay so that won’t be a problem but its free parking for town centre workers in long stay car parks. I don’t see a problem with that as many may £2 or £3 a day to park for work.

Then again if you are a Councillor you can park at the Guildhall for free and do your Christmas shopping whenever you want.

KidA
    Participant

Why shouldn’t Town centre workers, who undoubtably contribute so much to the town economy on a regular basis, benefit from free parking. You’ll probably find more of them increasing their shop as they wont have to carry it so far. If you want a space in Dec, get in early.

wrexview
    Participant

Do you mean by “short stay will remain short stay” that people will still only be allowed to stay two hours in most of the car parks ? Does that mean you will still need a timed ticket ? Imagined free parking meant exactly that, to encourage people to stay longer and spend more money in the town.

Sheefag
    Participant

Now that’s an excellent idea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Councillor Bithell announces :
    Free parking in december.
    No roadworks in december.

Call me a cynical old fool but anyone would think there was a local council election due in 2017

VOR2016
    Participant

Rumour is he’s about to announce that he has successfully negotiated that the HS2 route be diverted through Johnstown to complete his infrastructure investment in that area.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

Didn’t Bithell buses take over from GHA?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News