Free Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Free Parking

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Just read the article about council urging people to use the free parking around the town centre to shop in town. I went shopping into the actual town centre for the first time since March and the same old problems exist.

It was very busy in the drive-to shopping areas around town – Island Green, shopping area around Tesco etc… However it was really quiet in the actual town centre, but this is because of the complete lack of shops open on Regent Street and Hope Street – our once proud main streets.

There are still people out of their minds on spice as well just slumped in bank doorways etc. Something kept out of the news but conveniently swept under the carpet.

I will say the turning of BHS into a sports offering and then Game upstairs and the gaming centre is a welcome addition to a large empty unit. Although we seem to have Sports Directs everywhere.

People have money to spend but they prefer the US strip mall style park outside convenience rather than walking up and down town with mostly poundshop offerings.

WreX-iT
    Participant

I don’t feel safe goin to town even for a pint. I would rather keep shopping on the internet until the Covid figure for Wrexham are at a safer level. I would not want to go for a meal until next year as long as things got better

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The town faces a vicious circle: fewer shoppers leads to fewer shops leads to fewer shoppers…. Either entrepreneurs take a risk (and are encouraged to do so, not least by landlords as well as local and central government) or an improved non retail offer (arts, tourism, museum, cafes, bars, restaurants, third sector etc) attracts more people to the town which translates into increased retail spend. A lot of the tools for change are not accessible to anyone local so we face an uphill struggle. For a start the tax system could focus on the digital economy to raise the needed funds locally and centrally rather than rely on a system first created in the 19th century.

wrexview
    Participant

New restaurants on High Street and Sports Direct in the old BHS , many many towns would be delighted to have any new businesses opening at this time.

parkingmad
    Participant

With Sports Direct and Game opening up in the old BHS shop, that means 3 more empty shop’s in Wrexham.

wrexview
    Participant

Were Sports Direct in Plas Coch ? So relocated into the town centre ?

parkingmad
    Participant

Sports Direct in Plas Coch and Eagles Meadow closed, Game was near top Wetherspoons.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

MMA Event coming to north east Wales this weekend!

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans for new studio flat above Wrexham fast food restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News