Fracking At Borras.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Fracking At Borras.

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

@Big H 16802 wrote:

What can we actually do to stop them though? I remember years ago when the people of Johnstown protested for months on end about having a landfill on their doorsteps and look where that got them!
    There is no doubt that this needs stopping but how?

Good question! I believe there are things that can be done, lobbying WCBC councillors to support Arfon Jones’s motion is one (see post#7) takes 5 mins to fire an email off and could make things trickier for the drilling company. These drills are currently unmonitored, I believe there should be a representative of WCBC environment agency present at all drilling checking how deep they go, remember they have permission to test for CBM not shale they must not be allowed to ‘accidentally’ drill to those depths testing for that as I strongly suspect they will. These drills are also unmonitored post drilling so if there is any land contamination issues nobody will know, I believe the drilling company should be made to pay for this land to be periodically tested at pre-determined dates post drilling. I am also strongly against David Cameron’s fracking trespass law change to allow drilling under my home (which is about 1 mile from this drilling site).

Fracking trespass law changes move forward despite huge public opposition | Environment | The Guardian

I also want to see a FOI going in for ridiculous amount to police presence seen at the protection camp recently. It’s been total overkill and I do not believe we should be made to pay for this, iGas should be getting the bill.

Everything currently seems to be geared in favour of the drillers not the local community but if the right people are put under pressure they can start to make things more difficult for these companies to operate in the manner they have been accustomed to.

One final thing where the hell has Ian Lucas been on this? The people of Wrexham said no, our planning committee said no and yet here we are waiting for this rig to arrive. :mad:

Dick
    Participant

Profit is not a dirty word as you imply, profits provide jobs and taxes. Denbighshire council voted against wind farms, this was overturned by the WAG. Dont recall you all protesting about that nor the profits the energy companies will make from them!

Metalhead
    Participant

@Dick 16819 wrote:

Profit is not a dirty word as you imply, profits provide jobs and taxes. Denbighshire council voted against wind farms, this was overturned by the WAG. Dont recall you all protesting about that nor the profits the energy companies will make from them!

Not really the same thing, wind farms do not have potential to cause issues for our community, the only really negative thing about them is that they don’t look very pretty. Seeing as you have made this comment I will respond as I actually happen to think renewable energy sources are precisely what we need to be looking at and I personally wouldn’t have an issue with wind farms (or solar or hydro plants for that matter) popping up around these parts. Don’t have an issue with energy companies making profits either but making profits by causing potential issues to our communities and environment is another matter.

zinger
    Participant

Have you been up to Cumbria? A beautiful part of the country like Wales with wind farms everywhere. They have nuclear power too. I wouldn’t like to have any of them in my backyard.

Born Acorn
    Participant
    zinger;16787 wrote:
    I would feel happier if I could hear both INFORMED sides of the debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uti2niW2BRA

I found this, although it’s more about what fracking is rather than an argument either way.

zinger
    Participant

Does anyone know if the gas company has applied for planning permission for fracking yet? I would imagine that it will be headline news. I’m concerned by the amount of water that will be used due to water shortages in the summer? I notice that there are a few scaremongers who obviously don’t know the first thing about coal mines or mining.

Metalhead
    Participant

Hi Zinger,

Firstly yes I have seen the wind farms in Cumbria and agree they’re not the prettiest things on the planet, as it happens I also don’t find gas drilling rigs to be works of art! Not wanting something near your home because it’s ugly is pretty shallow IMHO and as I stated earlier I personally wouldn’t have an issue with a wind farm in close proximity to mine.

Regarding the planning permission for any fracking DART Energy have not currently submitted this and it will require further permission. What they do have is permission to test drill for CBM but in other drills they have carried out they admit to have found shale (situated much deeper). They should not have been drilling for that and did not have permission to do it. The thing is this permission is a bit woolly and doesn’t stipulate how far down they are allowed to drill. If they find what they are looking for then the application to frack will come. Also hydraulic fracturing is generally used in the latter stages of CBM extraction. Do you honestly believe they intend to leave anything they find down there?

With the issues such as the redundant mine workings and high radon levels I am genuinely concerned what can of worms they could open up here, this drilling isn’t risk free. One thing I do know is that I really don’t fancy living in the next Groningen. I presume you know what I’m referring to, if not please take a look at this: The earth moves in Holland due to ‘gas quakes’ | euronews, world news

zinger
    Participant

Wind Farms are not only ugly they are noisy & depressing too. I was in Cumbria quite recently and needed to ask directions. Not easy when they are everywhere. I only knew that the business I needed to find was by a wind farm & the postcode covered a large area. Still somebody had to invent the wheel I suppose. If they had kicked up a fuss then perhaps we wouldn’t have be troubled with pollution today.

JRW
    Participant

Does anyone know anything about the removal of a video on the removal of the Camp at Borras?

YouTube

Rob
    Participant

Saying “This video has been removed by the user.” to me

That isnt the usual copyright / breach of T&C’s / abuse notice etc so would imagine whoever put it up has taken it down for whatever reason?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News