Forum Car Parking Proposals

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Forum Car Parking Proposals

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

The Forum meeting on Tuesday raised the interesting idea of a Car Park ticket scheme broadly based upon the idea that those parking are able to seek reimbursement for their parking charges from a range of shops in the town. The proponent of the scheme suggested that various towns across the UK operate successful comparables.

There was a mixed reaction to it and certainly one Council employee provided an extremely negative back feed to the suggestion with the raising of the issue of set-up and on-going cost. A figure of some £7000 was bounced around as a realistic cost burden (to the rate payer).

I found this reaction interesting and indicative of where we often go wrong as a community. Firstly, and I may be wrong, it often strikes me that the hurdle put forward as a fact becomes the drawbridge that prevents positive responses taking place thereafter. That would be a shame.

What instantly struck me about such a scheme is the range of possibilities that spring from it. At a cost of £7000 this represents a mere 1% of gross take from the car parks (as extrapolated from the last occasion when higher level charges were applied). What this would suggest is that a mere 1-2% positive increase in the uptake of Car parking would turn negative aspects in to positives (and in several contrasting ways):

Firstly, by definition, more Customers to the town would be encouraged to use the car parks. This is a win win for all concerned

Secondly, there should be no actual cost to the Tax payer given the negligible additional parking required

Thirdly, such a scheme will allow Entrepreneurial traders in the vicinity of the car parks to proactively channel punters into their stores

Fourthly, such a scheme doesn’t actually cost the trader anything because all Entrepreneurial types will work on the assumption that the cost will be taken out of additional profit based turnover

Fifthly, such a scheme, if the Council thought about it, might allow additional revenue generating charges to be applied. Of course, that would be subject to the success thereof

Essentially, if the scheme was operated properly there should be benefits all round

Born Acorn
    Participant

You’d think Taith would pay the £7000 if they really cover car parking now, they’ll shell out hundreds of grands for some 90’s style electronic signage!

lazyjack
    Participant

The thing about this ‘bright idea’ is that is was suggested on this very forum around 18 months ago. It’s not some magical idea, it’s just common sense to encourage trade in the town centre, something the council should have done months, if not years ago.

For far too long, the council seem to have been discouraging people coming into Wrexham.

Also, I drove past the ‘white elephant’ parking info signs tonight, would you believe they were switched off (maybe saving energy ?).

wrexview
    Participant

The People’s Market multi storey car park shuts in the evening, perhaps the signs can’t cope with ” closed” or “shut” !

Rob
    Participant

I think its a great idea – and reading around it there does seem to be success stories around the country.

What struck me was that Eagles Meadow have difficulty speaking with Vinci.

Likewise, the actions of the likes of Vinci, NCP and other ‘parking providers’ can affect the perception of the town to a vastly greater degree than you would imagine for micro-renting a patch of tarmac.

Darlofan
    Participant

It’s an excellent idea that has been discussed on these forums for years now yet council/vinci don’t seem to listen. An example of traders losing business would be, a couple of weeks ago my daughter was going to a birthday party in the bowling alley and meal after in Frankie+Bennys Eagles Meadow. Because parking in EM is so expensive i parked on the road outside Halfords, took her across dropped her off then did the same when i picked her up. If there had been an hours free parking or refunded parking if i used one of the shops i would have had a wander round EM shops. This would have resulted in me doing a spot of Christmas shopping, then realising it wasn’t long till i picked my daughter up would have grabbed a drink somewhere. As it was i got in and out with a cursory glance through the 02 window.

Taffy
    Participant

@Darlofan 10765 wrote:

It’s an excellent idea that has been discussed on these forums for years now yet council/vinci don’t seem to listen. An example of traders losing business would be, a couple of weeks ago my daughter was going to a birthday party in the bowling alley and meal after in Frankie+Bennys Eagles Meadow. Because parking in EM is so expensive i parked on the road outside Halfords, took her across dropped her off then did the same when i picked her up. If there had been an hours free parking or refunded parking if i used one of the shops i would have had a wander round EM shops. This would have resulted in me doing a spot of Christmas shopping, then realising it wasn’t long till i picked my daughter up would have grabbed a drink somewhere. As it was i got in and out with a cursory glance through the 02 window.

If it had been after 12pm you could have parked for free at the Proples Market or Crescent Road car parks.

welshyorkie
    Participant

@Darlofan 10765 wrote:

This is also a good idea. I had the misfortune recently at parking in Eagles Meadow but never again. The costs there are disgusting and you cannot even buy a one hour ticket. That was the last time I will park there unless they change the pricing structure. But neither do I agree with Wrexham council putting there prices up. The stores in that area such as Halfords, Matalan etc. which have car parks could make money by a small charge which would be refunded if buying something from the store. If no purchase you would just pay the 50p for an hour or whatever as long as it was reasonable.

welshyorkie
    Participant

@Taffy 10767 wrote:

If it had been after 12pm you could have parked for free at the Proples Market or Crescent Road car parks.

This may be true if you can get in them Last time I tried they were both full. Plus I believe the council want to change this time to something like 2 or 3 in the afternoon before it becomes free!

MP1953
    Participant

@welshyorkie 10769 wrote:

This is also a good idea. I had the misfortune recently at parking in Eagles Meadow but never again. The costs there are disgusting and you cannot even buy a one hour ticket. That was the last time I will park there unless they change the pricing structure. But neither do I agree with Wrexham council putting there prices up. The stores in that area such as Halfords, Matalan etc. which have car parks could make money by a small charge which would be refunded if buying something from the store. If no purchase you would just pay the 50p for an hour or whatever as long as it was reasonable.

This topic typifies Wrexham Council in a nut shell in that they cannot “see the woods for trees” and I agree Eagles Meadows prices are disgusting, how much longer will Debenhams and Marks stay where they are ??

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

News

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

News

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

News

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News