For those who say "it's all about Cardiff"…

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum For those who say "it's all about Cardiff"…

• Author

miserableoldbugger
    Participant

The last time I looked Swansea was still in the South. That’s where the money goes and that’s what makes the North – South divide even larger.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

[quote quote=128556]With a few millions of pounds Daave, the Gwenfro could be used to make Wrexham, THE VENICE OF NORTH WALES.

[/quote]

Sometimes, just sometimes, I loves the internet I do!

dagg
    Participant

Just imagine going down Brook Street on a gondola.

zinger
    Participant

Am I right in saying that North Wales has more World Heritage sites?

Matt
    Participant

Is the original poster trying to be funny or serious?

That other major city in South Wales on the M4 corridor gets some funding.

Shows how low the expectations are for the rest of the country if it’s a big deal that Swansea gets money.

I’m not even sure Wrexham would make it onto the pecking order.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=128991]Is the original poster trying to be funny or serious?

That other major city in South Wales on the M4 corridor gets some funding.

Shows how low the expectations are for the rest of the country if it’s a big deal that Swansea gets money.

I’m not even sure Wrexham would make it onto the pecking order.

[/quote]

I was, of course, being ironic. My point is that the local authority has to be proactive and innovative in order to attract government and private investment. I doubt that the Swansea council sat on their hands and waited for the Assembly to come up with this idea and funding. Our local authority couldn’t even organise a fanzone for the Euros so I doubt they’d even know where to start in terms of attracting something like this. They should hang their heads in shame.

Matt
    Participant

I read over it and over it and not being on the ball today suffered from irony fail.

You are right about the local authorities lacking ambition & you could argue both local AMs who hold influential Assembly positions.

The so called master plans in Wrexham are always met with derision from the local people as local benefits are never clear cut. Over the years we’ve had the Super schools debacle, the leisure centre lies, a failure to deal with the Groves building, a prison no-one wanted (although I do recognise its economic benefits), an Arts Centre coming that everyone is sceptical about, a bus station with a bad reputation, Eagles Meadow that potentially ripped the heart out of the town centre, a new emergency centre that led to threat of the removal of a fire engine and firefighter job losses, the betrayal over the Racecourse, Queens Park being renamed to Caia Park to try and divert from the negative reputation of the estate to then ironically become infamous for its riots and a fleeting fantasy that a credible city status bid could be made. You look at the long list of things which I’m sure could be added to.

There have been positives of course, but these things that have happened are the things that stick in people’s minds.

So good on Swansea for coming up with something credible to better their city I say. I wonder if their councillors bicker and squabble over listed buildings and iPad budgets? Probably not.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News