Football Museum could take preference over bin collections.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Football Museum could take preference over bin collections.

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

Here we go again, sounds like another episode of Ty Pawb.

Cllr Mark Pritchard has welcomed the news of a proposed football museum of Wales for Wrexham. It was not long ago that Cllr Pritchard said, in future we should not go chasing grants for the sake of them, and in future everything will have to wash its face.

Well at a cost of 4.4 million and 144k per annum running costs how is this going to wash its face?

Save on bin collections and spend the saving on something that will give pleasure to a minority.

Could a suggestion be made to sell back the collection of football artifacts already purchased by Wrexham Council to the Welsh Football Association, and put that money to more pressing local services.

Ferret
    Participant

Yeah. It’s more of a Shelbyville idea.

zinger
    Participant

Yeah, let it go to South Wales along with everything else of value. I begin to think that Wrexham deserves all the bad press that it gets. Sad.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Good point Zinger. But when will people understand : WAG give money for specific projects/issues. Art money for arts, museum money for museums, bin money for bins! Its not just a big bucket of cash to use as needed, if its not spent on specifics, its not granted or is returned!

jimbow
    Participant

The Football Association of Wales has plenty of money. Why, do they not fund it. Zinger, don’t complain when your rates go up to help the running costs.

jimbow
    Participant

Maureen– Give less money to the arts and museums and more to the bins.

Matt
    Participant

The whole thing is completely delusional as usual. Obviously bins come first – or there will be rubbish overflowing onto the streets.

However, from a project perspective – you can see the usual suspects have got their rose tinted White Elephant Goggles on as usual – why don’t we just let these councillors go in exchange for allowing them to run an annual circus in town once a year instead – because that’s how they view and treat Wrexham.

In terms of any development into football in town – those proposing it have completely forgot one thing. Football is meant to be enjoyed out on a pitch and actually watched and played not sat behind glass in a stuffy museum. That’s how kids benefit from it – playing it and watching their local teams. That’s not to say historic artifacts aren’t important but it is very disappointing that there’s no plan to develop the Racecourse in any way.

It is mentioned in the article that lots of people come into town on match day – it is a false equivalence to believe lots of numbers will come into town to go into the museum – no matter how many millions of pounds worth of bells and whistles they put into it. Ty Pawb sized alarm bells should be ringing when people are over enthusiastic about such a site. People like theme parks but the majority wouldn’t go to a theme park museum.

The one thing people do want and should be considered is getting some international games played at the Racecourse. That’s why it should be developed.

zinger
    Participant

I just wonder how many people with opinions have ever set foot in a museum much less their local one. https://www.wrexham.com/news/gold-award-and-high-praise-for-wrexham-museums-excellent-facilities-159223.html

jimbow
    Participant

I quite often visit the museum, and yes the facilities and exhibitions are excellent. However, the exhibitions do not change that often, and the majority of people I see, are using the archive computer section. As for thousands?

Matt
    Participant

I personally love museums, been to hundreds – could bore you to death with all the ones I’ve been to. But in terms of Wrexham, I think investing in actual football is a better fit than investing in the idea that once upon a time some football happened.

There’s just no wow factor there or appeal for young people – can you imagine the morning before match day in Wrexham a group of youths going – ‘Come on lads (lasses) – let’s head off to the football museum’. It’s just not going to happen. If it’s not happening on a smart phone or a games console then there’s no interest in taking things in.

Museums for the most part are something I’ve slowed down going to over the last 5-10 years as I can learn far more about any given topic in 15 minutes online. I like seeing the genuine article of something, but it has to be really interesting for me to actually physically want to see it. Whereas, facts are accessible from everywhere.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News