Food Hygiene Ratings

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Food Hygiene Ratings

• Author

Huw
    Participant

I just noticed that somebody tweeted through the Wrexham.com Twitter feed that they had a ‘lush’ curry last night from premises that received a 2 from the Food Standards Agency. Do people not check hygiene ratings before eating out? Surely everywhere that prepares food should be either 5 or closed down!?

AMA Express
    Participant

So what’s the point of the scores of 0,1,2,3 or 4 then ? We can’t all be perfect.

Sheefag
    Participant

Hygiene standards are over-rated, look at the Third World, it’s thriving.
    What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, Wrexham’s gone soft.

Ferret
    Participant

Hygiene standards are over-rated, look at the Third World, it’s thriving.
    What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, Wrexham’s gone soft.

Yeah no diseases there. Bottled Ganges water anyone? BTW, anyone who uses the word “lush” should come with a health warning

Rondetto
    Participant

I’m not quite sure how they rate restaurants and cafes. But, I think maybe if they don’t cook meats then they don’t qualify for a 5* rating. So even though they have a 4* rating it doesn’t necessary mean they are not spotless.
    Perhaps someone could elaborate on how they rate these premises.

AMA Express
    Participant

Google it Rondetto. There are several pages of info.

Rondetto
    Participant

I have Googled it and it doesn’t mention anything about meats. Simply standards of hygiene.

AMA Express
    Participant

Bakeries can have 5 star ratings so I think you’re barking up the wrong tree about meat.

Sheefag
    Participant

Speaking of barking, South Koreans, eat dogs and have a longer life expectancy than us Westerners.
    Just saying like.

Darlofan
    Participant

Ratings are given based on 3 things. How safely food is handled, what businesses do to keep food safe ie, temperature records, cleaning schedules etc and the structure of the buildings etc. All should have 4* in my view as that’s just basic practices and procedures. The buildings part is what annoys most chefs as that’s out of their hands and up to managers/owners. So chefs can be producing the safest food in the cleanest kitchen but because some wall tiles are cracked or ceiling is in need of repair they will get a 4 instead of 5.
    In my opinion those with a 1 should be closed immediately but the inspector to close a business has to be sure there is imminent risk to human health.
    Inspections are carried out unannounced at any reasonable time and within a 2 year time scale. This length of time depends on your rating and type of establishment so a 4/5* place will be left for almost 2 years, a 3 might be seen again in 12to18 months. High risk places like hospitals, schools, nursing homes will be inspected more frequently too.
    This all depends on staffing too as like all nowadays staffing levels have been cut so less inspectors to go round!!
    If not happy with a rating you can pay for re inspection to carry out improvements, in this case you are ‘supposed’ to display rating given not an old one until re inspection. So if you had a 5 then got 4 and want a 5 again you can’t leave the old 5 up until re inspection the 4 should be put up. Most food producers I know are keen to get good ratings however most customers don’t take much notice of them ie research a rating before eating out or buying food out.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News