Fast Broadband in Wrexham ???

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Fast Broadband in Wrexham ???

• Author

DaveW
    Participant

I saw loads of BT Openreach vans and trucks by Squire York and Percy Road area yesterday. Hopefully they arenow upgrading this part of town to a decent broadband speed to compare with Wrexham North ?

At moment most people around Coed Y Glyn/Ithens area can only get a misearable 2mbs.

Anyone else get poor broadband speed in the town ?

harry
    Participant

I find the speed on my mobile phone on 3G can reach 12mbps which is pretty amazing considering my home BB can only get 2! :rolleyes:

Rob
    Participant

I spoke with an engineer recently, and if I have it right the main fibre links in and around town are being put in.

The local end bit from the fibre to the home / biz will remain copper (for now!) but the speed to the last few yards will be huge and therefore mean bigger speeds all round.

BT have been fuzzy about dates, perhaps not to over commit, but my guess would be towards the end of the year / new year.

The new roll out is new hardware which in some areas is dead easy to fit, however the bloke I spoke to in town said some parts can be tricky due to the local environment eg. who knows whats underground in town :)

Sam
    Participant

I can confirm that talk talk & bt are offering fibre optic broadband upto 43 meg from the southsea exchange. If not now, it’s imminent.

Put in a local postcode into talk talk’s availability checker to find out about your area.

bingomo7
    Participant

The latest info that I have been given from BT is that where I live in Borras does not seem to be included in the fibre upgrade….it seems a bit strange given the fact that the Box Lane area and Acton are set to receive it from the end of the year……Does anyone know any further details?

KKOB
    Participant

According to TalkTalk’s website, we should have it in Marchwiel in January.

DaveW
    Participant

Ian Lucas, our local MP, and Bob Dutton my councillor, have both been busy pushing BT to get faster broadband rolled out across all of Wrexham. They told me :

The area around Percy Road, Coed Y Glyn and Ithens should be upgraded by December 2012 to a “21CN” service. A 21st Century network ADSL2+ service should allow download speeds potentially up to 24mbps.
    thinkbroadband :: BT Wholesale continues its 21CN ADSL2+ roll-out

BT do not yet have a date to move our area to their super fast FTTC service, Fibre Broadband. How fast this will be will still depend on the local wire quality !!! BT will run superfast fibre cables to your local box but it will still be copper & aluminium wire from your local box to your house.
    thinkbroadband :: Fibre Broadband (FTTC / FTTH) Guide

Phew :)

Born Acorn
    Participant

Both Wrexham and Wrexham North have dates of the 31/12/12 set for FTTC. Both exchanges have had 21CN for some time.

This website grabs the info straight from BT wholesale so you can see for yourself:

Wrexham Exchange
    Wrexham North Exchange

Stick your landline into this link to see which exchange you’re plugged into.

DaveW
    Participant

My information from the council is similar to the above, and with the new FTTC cabinets installed maybe this December is possible.

“The present time Wrexham is covered by 15 telephone exchanges. Of these exchanges three, Wrexham Town, Wrexham North and Gresford are scheduled for the Fibre to the Cabinet (known by the acronym FTTC) upgrade, which will give a speed of 80 Mbps.
    Caergwrle exchange situated in Flintshire, which serves households and businesses in the County has also been upgraded.
    In addition, elsewhere in the County Borough, four exchanges, Wrexham North, Wrexham, Ruabon and Rhos are Twenty First Century Network (21CN) enabled, with one more, at Chirk coming on line within a month. 21CN is not as powerful as FTTC, but will give enhanced speeds of up to 24Mbps (dependent upon distance from the exchange & copper quality)“,

My residential address is covered by the Wrexham exchange but still only gets 2mbps even if it is using 21CN !

Born Acorn
    Participant

I’m connected to North and get roughly 7mbps on 21CN. It got worse, as prior to 21CN I routinely got 8mbps.

These are actually spot on the BT estimations though (see here)

It estimates I will get 60mpbs on FTTC. Hopefully that is also spot on!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News