Expenses for Councillors and Officers

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Expenses for Councillors and Officers

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

For your information, I am not, never have nor ever will be a Councillor.
    I am not defending Councillor’s, what I am defending is the principle of adhering to recognised agreements irrespective of whether you happen to like them or not.
    The criticism has not been confined to Councillors but has been extended to encompass paid Officers and has been further extended to question the basis on which subsistence is calculated.
    Unfortunately, Wrexham.com has become (by design I suspect) a medium for denigrating anything and everyone working for, or associated with WCBC. This has not happened by chance but by someone (or entity) that has ulterior motives.
    I suspect, although I have no proof, that the critics have never have or likely to be in a position where essential user payments are part of their job entitlement.
    Even you yourself have admitted that “it is all small fry” and yet you now seem to be taking a different tack. At least I am consistent.
    I reiterate. I am convinced that the original article appeared, not some much as for genuine newsworthy purposes but more to foment argument which has become of late, it seems, its’ main purpose.

R T
    Keymaster

Ignoring the wonderful suggestion of some mysterious entity puppetry with a controlling agenda element of your post, I would be interested to know at what point the rules become right.

You say “what I am defending is the principle of adhering to recognised agreements irrespective of whether you happen to like them or not”, it appears you would have defended the historic voluntary nature of being a Councillor, and then when the rules changed overnight you would have stoutly defended it being a salaried position. My question is, which position is in your mind right and why did the change occur?

Expenses are public information, but it appears there are degrees of what public means.

Likewise there are degrees of opinions on it, and to widen it from just this forum there are a range of reactions on the two Facebook posts of the article:
    https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom/posts/850983268289757 and https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom/posts/850506521670765

johnhoppy
    Participant

“I suspect, although I have no proof, that the critics have never have or likely to be in a position where essential user payments are part of their job entitlement.
    Even you yourself have admitted that “it is all small fry” and yet you now seem to be taking a different tack. At least I am consistent.”

Try being self employed BanjaminM and see how user payments are part of your job entitlement. They are all of your job entitlement.

Yes you are consistant in that you resort to personal attacks when you can not make a coherent argument.

BenjaminM
    Participant

In line with you choosing to ignore my statement regarding my belief that a hidden agenda is afoot, rather than providing an answer, you choose to raise some spurious question that has no relevance whatsoever to the top is under discussion. However, I will try to answer what I think you think you mean.

Prior to a Councillor becoming a salaried position when responsibilities were far less, carrying out that function was a voluntary role and that was the accepted norm and persons entered into that, fully aware of what the task and role was that they were undertaking. I have no argument with that whatsoever – it was the way that the system worked at that time – and was appropriate. At some stage, greater minds than you or I, decided that due to the complexity of the role, some form of remuneration was necessary and advisable to attract a higher calibre of person to administer a large organisation and control substantial budgetary considerations. I must say though, that that did not necessarily have the desired affect as can be easily demonstrated very close to home. However, I consider the current system to be appropriate in the 21st Century albeit the salaries paid to Councillors seem to be somewhat excessive.

In previous posts, I have stated quite clearly that I have little respect for WCBC Councillors generally, but I do have some degree of respect and sympathy for its’ employees who I feel work well under what can be, trying and pressurised conditions. I have no grievance with anyone claiming anything that is theirs by right.

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=99618]“

Try being self employed BanjaminM and see how user payments are part of your job entitlement. They are all of your job entitlement.

[/quote]
    And I bet they are priced into the job and/or set against tax liability.

johnhoppy
    Participant

[quote quote=99620]

And I bet they are priced into the job and/or set against tax liability.

[/quote]

I can see that you have never been self employed.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I can see that you have never been self employed.

[/quote]
    You’ve established that I am not a Councillor nether am I self employed. You have got one guess left and then give up !!!!

johnhoppy
    Participant

[quote quote=99622]I can see that you have never been self employed.

[/quote]
    You’ve established that I am not a Councillor nether am I self employed. You have got one guess left and then give up !!!!

[/quote]

Don’t worry I have no intention of making any guesses, although I must admit that you have a talent for local government as you do not tolerate any dissenting opinions.

Where is Sheefag when you want a sensible debate??

Sheefag
    Participant

Thing is John, to be sensible for once, I can see both sides of the argument here.
    The point of view that Benjamin is representing is that no-one is doing anything illegal, the players are adhering to the rules but the rules of the game are written by the players, in favour of the players.
    You could put a red rosette on a pig and the good people of Wrexham have proven time and again that they would still vote for it.
    Nothing will change until people vote for change and all the present incumbents are doing is proving that which we already know, government both local and national, is a morality free zone.

Normal Sheefag service shall now resume.

locallad
    Participant

Such a shame that Dr Patterson has to claim £8 to pay respects to those that paid the ultimate price in not just the world wars but recent events as well.Friends of mine who work for WCBC took a large pay cut which was forced upon them. I bet she hasn’t.Most probably got a pay rise or bonus. No doubt she will claim the £8 for attending the tour of Britain today.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News