Ever Thought of Being a Market Trader?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ever Thought of Being a Market Trader?

• Author

Simon
    Participant

Ever Thought of Being a Market Trader?

Ever Thought of Being a Market Trader? | Wrexham.com

“Wrexham Council are providing anyone who is interested in setting up their own business with the opportunity to find out more about taking a stall in one of Wrexham’s town centre markets.”

The latest desperate move by Wrexham Council to try and fill a few stalls in an empty building.
    Sorry, but I visited the Peoples Market a few months ago and the place was virtually shut. Empty stalls, traders who stuck it out until it wasn’t worth trading…

Reminds me a bit of a recent Pub-chains advert for a tenancy for a village pub where 3 previous tenants lost their £15k bond…

“A wonderful opportunity in a popular village pub for a couple starting out in the trade…. “

wxm
    Participant

The comments the Council have used in the promotion are very trite, and sadly where the markets are today, is not a good basis for someone to start a business or a career. We all know action was needed a long time ago.

However, if the Council are now facing the issues here, they need to produce a “prospectus” that sets out what the opportunity is for a trader, how they forecast the footfall of consumers, and how consumers will spend their pound.

This could be done now, and later form an appendix of the Single Integrated Plan. Excellent that we’re reminded about the pub proposal; it is about time the public scrutinise what the Council have said and done and hold them to account.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

It was just a press release to promote neil rogers… just two days after the labour am self promotion article.

The article doesn’t question the council at all.

Rob
    Participant

Yes – press release to highlight an ‘open day’.

Speaking with a couple of market traders last week there will be more of this type of thing as there has been more liason with markets and council.

This is the first of this type of event though apparently.

If anyone does attend the sessions it would be good to get feedback on how useful they are!

wrexview
    Participant

The Council are advertising and therefore expecting rents of between £550 and £795 per month for stalls/shops in and around the People’s Market. On Wrexham.com last week there was mention of a shop to rent in Yorke Street for less than £400 per month including a parking space!

Rob
    Participant

Thats the inkXperts shop – will be interesting to see if anyone takes it over.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;7252 wrote:
    Yes – press release to highlight an ‘open day’.

why was there a need to highlight the labour leader’s support? did no other leaders or councillors support it?

stinks of bias from the council’s press office.

Rob
    Participant

Provided quotes usually are the Leader of Council or Lead Member responsible depending on the topic – so position not party.

They can be anonymised but there is greater value attributing them as then can be referenced back.

Thats not always possible though – but where known they are in.

Alunh
    Participant

I was a Market trader and still would be a Market trader today if there was even a modicum of joined up thinking possessed by elements of Wrexham Council. I will keep my powder dry on the circumstances of my own leaving of the Market (in May) but I will outline the whole scenario in the coming weeks.

When my anecdote is actually read, those who actually read it will be dumbfounded by the entire episode. Needless to say, there are many good people who work for Wrexham Council but there remains a hopeless hopeless element within it and, overall, a culture that is beyond the pale of any sort of acceptability.

But never mind…….for those of you who do pay rates, remember, you are PAYING for this shower

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;7262 wrote:
    Provided quotes usually are the Leader of Council or Lead Member responsible depending on the topic – so position not party.

They can be anonymised but there is greater value attributing them as then can be referenced back.

Thats not always possible though – but where known they are in.

Rogers will go to an opening of a paper bag if there is a photo opportunity.

but why only him? there are other councillors and lead members? Surely more councillors being quoted addsmore weight to any initiative? Simply the answer is Rogers is using the council as a self promotion tool.

And more importantly why haven’t the council been asked the awkward questions?? Why are the markets empty? has the bad publicity earlier in the year resulted in bsuinesses leaving? has the cancellation of the victorian markets resulted in businesses leaving? Are the lower rents in towns causing businesses to leave?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News