European Elections – Are they actually happening?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum European Elections – Are they actually happening?

• Author

Llayby lilly
    Participant

@ Matt….
    I think contributors should be able to express their thoughts as they wish on here. If that’s OK with you of course?

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=168184]@ Matt….
    I think contributors should be able to express their thoughts as they wish on here. If that’s OK with you of course?[/quote]

So you’re basically spoiling for an argument. Got a paper bag here for you to sink your teeth in.

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=168183]@ Dagg….

I think these are the finest words written on this thread…a certain hot-head will soon find issue with them tho.

Lilly[/quote]
    Thank you.

Matt
    Participant

Fine I’ll bring it back OT

If we look at the candidates that people have mentioned we know very little about & have to vote on in a few days (well about 1 in 3 will).

Conservative: Dan Boucher, Craig Lawton, Fay Jones and Tomos Davies – Why are they even fielding candidates? Their 2017 mandate was to get us out of Europe – an absolute joke surely – should do the decent thing & not field anyone

Labour: Jackie Jones, Matthew Dorrance, Mary Wimbury, Mark Never heard of any of them but heard Labour has fielded a bunch of Europhiles who don’t click with the overall party or supporter base – massively underwhelmed

Plaid Cymru: Jill Evans, Carmen Smith, Patrick McGuinness, Ioan Bellin – Going to pick up a few remain votes but will struggle overall as usual

Welsh Liberal Democrat’s: Sam Bennett, Donna Lalek, Alistair Cameron, Andrew
    Parkhurst – Will pick up a few more Remain votes but nobody really gives a toss about Lib Dems in Wales

UKIP: Kris Hicks, Keith Edwards, Tom Harrison, Robert McNeil-Wilson Redundant duplicate of Brexit – expecting the final wipeout – will barely even split the Brexit Leave vote

Greens: Anthony Slaughter, Ian Chandler, Ceri Davies and Duncan Rees Token party, token votes

Brexit Party: Nathan Gill, James Wells, Gethin James and Julie Price Will do well here but unsure if that would ever translate to a credible party in Westminster that were capable of delivering Brexit – even Theresa May has trolled Farage’s party By saying all they do is shout from the sidelines

Change UK: Jon Owen Jones, June Davies, Matthew Paul and Sally Stephenson L-O-L

Matt
    Participant

Also if the Brexit Party candidates had any principles whatsoever if they get voted in – they should refuse to take up theirs seats – like Sinn Fein do in Parliament.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

@ matt, I’m not spoiling for any argument Matt, just pointing out that who are YOU to dictate what contributors are writing and if its on or off topic as you see it. Isn’t it just nice that folk are contributing. As for your OT comments, thanks for them as I certainly have learned something new.

Lilly

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=168195]@ matt, I’m not spoiling for any argument Matt, just pointing out that who are YOU to dictate what contributors are writing and if its on or off topic as you see it. Isn’t it just nice that folk are contributing. As for your OT comments, thanks for them as I certainly have learned something new.

Lilly[/quote]

Original comment was purely meant in a sardonic way at the fact that the thread had fallen into the bun-fight that it had.

zinger
    Participant

Not being terribly politically minded Matt, only one of the names mentioned that I have heard of without looking them up is Nathan Gill.

I am no racist but do object to the floodgates being opened for all & sundry to come to the UK without good reason. If they have a job to come to fair enough, come in do the work then go home. It is not a good reason for bringing in the entire family.

My perception of knife crime is that it has gone up with immigration. So also has terrorist activity. Shoot me down if you will but that is my perception.

Most of all I hate that UK laws are overturned by the EU just as I don’t like local planning decisions being over-ruled by the WAG Government.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The election leaflets have finally started to appear.
    First through the door – the Brexit Party leaflet: I was saddened to see a medical student be distracted from something useful (becoming a doctor) by going into politics as one of their candidates. It wasn’t obvious the three candidates shown were standing for election in Wales as there was no mention of our nation in the leaflet.
    Plaid Cymru leaflet: at least their pledges were sort of connected to the election, just about. Adam Price is on the front, though he is not actually standing as a candidate. Bizarrely the leaflet lists all the Parliamentary constituencies as if it had been prepared ready for reuse in another election campaign coming soon!
    Labour leaflet: Jeremy Corbyn on the front, but he is not standing to be an MEP either and doesn’t want to talk about his views on Europe at all. Inside all the promises are policies decided at Westminster or Cardiff not in Strasbourg, so perhaps this leaflet is also a trial run for the next general election. Of course, Labour doesn’t have a policy on Europe, so with two whole pages of A5 to fill they had their work cut out. I guess we should be grateful the flyer is not in the Gaelic.
    Change UK leaflet: They don’t stand a chance – their leaflet actually outlines their policy towards the EU and that will never do. Their logo reminds me of one of the licorice allsorts.
    UKIP leaflet: The shortest, though hardly the sweetest of the campaign literature. Gerald Batten looks like he has been copy and pasted in front of a crowd in London. He makes the bold claim that UKIP MEPs will fight for Brexit, which will be a first. No one has seen or heard from any of them for some time.
    The Greens haven’t sent anything out though I would expect them to be against single use publications that get thrown straight in the bin. The Conservatives have failed to provide any idea of what they plan to do next either. There again there is still time. The Lib Dems have sent nothing either, but at least they answered wrexham.com’s questionnaire.
    The printing companies are doing well out of it all, not sure anyone else is.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Matt, It must have been hard for the parties to find candidates. It is like applying for a job where within weeks you know you will be handed a P45. No one else in the workplace expected you to be there and they all think your presence is completely pointed. I hope they are going to offer counselling to those unfortunate enough to be elected.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News