European Elections – Are they actually happening?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum European Elections – Are they actually happening?

• Author

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Has anyone noticed any campaigning locally for the European Parliament elections? Are the elections really happening or is it a false news story? MEPs have generally been unknowns, whether well-intentioned or corrupt or loons and the tradition continues. Wrexham.com has struggled to get the candidates to communicate with the electorate. So far only the Lib Dems and a couple of other candidates have bothered to answer any questions. Their silence can’t be because they are out there campaigning, surely?

Perhaps everyone has realized that we now know the costs of Brexit so we will press delete on May 23rd and decide to work with the rest of Europe rather than be the neighbours from hell. Since June 2016 we have been the kind of people who have a sofa rotting in the front garden, play loud music at all hours, burn our rubbish just when the folks next door put their washing out to dry and have a dodgy car alarm that keeps going off in the early hours of the morning. And we were fairly annoying before then!!

The Brexiteers continue to struggle to find any benefits from the collective national suicide pact they have spent the last three years trying to enforce on us. Farage reappears having done a disappearing act when the hard work really needed doing following the 2016 vote. The choice is between the not so brilliant status quo of being a grumpy member of the EU or the Farage-Johnson-Leadsom-Fox fantasy land where Putin decides our defence policy, China decides our workers’ rights and Trump is in charge of our environmental policy and food standards. Where does Wales fit into the Brexit dream? Perhaps Trump will give us a golf course in the Gower and a Trump Towers hotel in Rhyl? Will we just become one big Amazon warehouse stretching from Wrexham Industrial estate to Port Talbot? Or will we decide that we are part of Europe after all? We know the political class have let us down, but are we going to let ourselves down as well by walking away when we have no idea where we are going to?

TimRegency
    Participant

Yes, it seems to have gone from ‘there’s no downsides to brexit, only upsides’ to ‘well, we got through the second world war, didn’t we?’

What are the advantages of this twirling kamikaze flight again?

Matt
    Participant

Devil’s advocate. Brexit Party looking very popular – so looks like lots of people still want it. We’re still no closer to resolving the down the middle of the country Brexit division than we were almost 3 years ago now.

This is still the longest self destruction of the Tories I’ve ever seen. Every day May remains ‘in charge’ they are losing thousands of voters.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

smart move by Nigel and Welsh AM’s. Read it and weep boyo’s…..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48275830

Lilly

TimRegency
    Participant

That’s the BBC, are there any reputable sources?

Llayby lilly
    Participant

[quote quote=168092]That’s the BBC, are there any reputable sources?[/quote]

Come Come Tim. The article seems pretty cast iron to me, after all, Nigel’s had his photo taken with the AM’s in question etc.

Is this not good enough for you..?

Lilly

Anonymous
    Inactive

I simply can’t get my head around people voting for the Brexit party.

So, you want to elect someone to go to Europe and NOT do a job working towards a better future for your country? You want them to go there and get paid to not work, but instead to sulk and stamp their feet like a chastised infant? “No! People voted for me to come here to complain about me being here!”

It’s beyond idiotic. Everyone really knows that there is no benefit to leaving the EU. I’m yet to see ANY argument for it, beyond “Well, we voted for it, you lost, get over it”, which isn’t an argument. And there’s no comeback either to the fact that the vote was won on *proven* lies from one side and ineptitude on the other.

Not to mention that many leave voters appear to be really angry, poorly educated, older bigots, fans of Piers Morgan, Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins & various other rent-a-gob right-wing nutcases. The same leave voters that have probably never even been to Europe save from their trips to Lanzarote or some other god awful ex-pat sunny destination, nor know any Europeans, save from the Eastern-Europeans that have opened a shop somewhere nearby, I’d wager. Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t mean every leave voter is like that, just ALL the one’s I’ve met.

I, and many others, like Europe. I think we get a good deal from the EU on the whole. Any problems that we have in the area are down to local councils, who have had their budgets slashed by the greedy Tories. If you want us to get out of Europe for no good reason, and make your area even worse (because all the actual experts agree that is what will happen) then give your head a wobble.

I love my country, but there is no harm in being part of something bigger too. We won’t lose that national identity, believe me.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

@ GoM1, you sound sooooooooo BITTER…!

Its called democracy, the country were asked to vote, we were all told that the vote would be respected and implemented. Despite the rhetoric, the vast majority knew what they were voting for on both sides of the argument, especially those on the remain side…remember the glossy leaflet from Cameron which explained it in full. I actually lost the vote, but still accept the majority voted leave.

Its a bit like, last night I put £1 on the National Lottery and guess wot? I didn’t win. :( What do you think the National Lottery would say if I called them this morning and told them to re-run last nights game?

Have some faith in the people of this country to make it work outside the EU. I have.
    Lilly

Llayby lilly
    Participant

PS…..
    @ GoM1,
    Your expressing typical Lefty bias..ie If you don’t agree with me, I will stifle your debate and shut you down by calling you or implying you are ignorant and racist. We’ve heard it all before from the Lefties, but it won’t wash with everyone!
    Lilly

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ooof. “Triggered” is what they call that, right?
    Bitter? Definitely. Why wouldn’t I be bitter about my country going down the pan because of some weird right-wing nutters, and my kids having to clean up the mess down the line.

The thing is, Lily, that you’re certainly wrong about one thing- people DIDN’T know what they were really voting for. Ask most leave voters and they will likely talk about immigration. And we know, don’t we, that it’s ILLEGAL immigration that’s really the issue, isn’t it? i.e the immigration that happens without the application being followed. You see, the Tory’s have done a very stupid thing on this front haven’t they? They have cut funding to the forces that are supposed to enforce this policy. So leaving the EU won’t do a dicky-bird about it. So leave voters were sold that lie, amongst many others.

So, if a non-binding (key words there) vote was held and won by a side that was lying, then we have every right to question it, surely?
    If I ran for council and I had a policy of £10k as a Christmas present for you all, and then when I got elected, I admitted that was a lie, do you think I would remain in office or would people cry foul and remove me? It’s different from your lottery example, no-one forced you to gamble your money as the government did with this vote. Our Swine-molesting lizard lord insisted on it, after pressure from a man who once lost a vote against a man dressed as a dolphin. A serial loser, who YOU support for some inexplicable reason. Cameron asked the country to make a gamble, which he knew could never pay off. Except for him, and it didn’t. And then your hero Farage scarpered from the political scene when it became apparent that he might have to come up with some idea to make it work, only to reappear now as a saviour to lead this angry country away from the evil EU. You know, the ones who funded Bellevue park, the nicest part of our town.

I wish I had faith in the people of this country as you suggest, but the people currently running the UK are Tories, and we all know from experience that you can never trust a Tory. They are lying, cheating, self-serving scumbags that only care about lining their own pockets. They don’t care about you or anyone else outside their own interests, no matter how much of that blue kool-aid you’ve drank. And their main opposition is not much better.

I remember the pig-loving Camerons leaflet, part of the reason why remain didn’t do very well is that he was on that side. He called this advisory election as a power play against rising fascists, this is common knowledge. I don’t think any ‘remainer’ truly believed people are daft enough to vote to be poorer, which is probably why they didn’t turn up to vote in force. Have a confirmatory election if you’re so confident, I’m confident that remain would win that time, except in deprived areas where the electorate still think they are voting for “them forinors to get out of are country”. Whether I think you’re ignorant or racist is irrelevant, but I’m hardly stifling the debate, you seem to have gotten SO angry about it that you double posted- hardly stifling. And posted with an insult, no less- if you can call referring to somebodies ‘lefty bias’ an insult. I’m sorry for being on the left, with all my radical ideas like free movement in Europe and free healthcare for all legal immigrants? Does that ‘offend’ you? That’s another thing people say these days, isn’t it?

Perhaps, instead of arguing, we can discuss what to do going forward? Do you have ANY valid reason for us to leave the EU? Do you have any argument at all other than I’ve previously said ‘you’ve lost, get over it?’
    It’s been 3 years and I’m still waiting for someone to tell me some reason, any reason, why it would be a good thing to leave a trading block? Or are you going to shy away from providing an answer like all before you? Or, and I think this will be more likely, will you try and shout the same thing you already have but louder and probably try and call me a snowflake or a millennial (both of which aren’t true), all the while not offering anything to move this debate forwards?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News