Environmental Licensing Committee to decide on a single colour policy for taxis

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Environmental Licensing Committee to decide on a single colour policy for taxis

• Author

jok
    Participant

[quote quote=93938]Is this legal? Do Wrexham Council have the powers to insist on a colour?

I do believe that they have the power to attach any conditions that they deem fit to be attached to a Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence.

jok
    Participant

[quote quote=93938]Is this legal? Do Wrexham Council have the powers to insist on a colour?

I do believe that they do. A local authority can attach any condition that they deem fit to a Hackney Carriage Vehicle that is licensed within that district.

jok
    Participant

I do believe that they do. A local authority can attach any condition that they deem fit to a Hackney Carriage Vehicle that is licensed within that district.

[quote quote=93937]What is the standard elsewhere as it wouldnt just be locals having to identify them – so is there a standard?

Also, what is the issue that has been identified that would be solved with this and is there any data on it?

The standard varies from one licensing authority to another. Wrexham County Borough Council was designated as a First Phase Authority due to it having an existing mandatory policy that all Hackney Carriages had to be wheelchair accessible. Therefore it has a duty to ensure that all Hackney Carriages licensed by them are wheelchair accessible. The Environmental Licensing Committee have at their last meeting, which was on 27 April 2015, decided to licence vehicles as Hackney Carriages that have already been licensed as Private Hire Vehicles. The Private hire vehicles do not have to be wheelchair accessible but from the exterior the two types of licensed vehicles may, to the casual observer, look the same, that is the need for the Hackney Carriage Taxis to differ in colour from Private Hire Vehicles. In time locals and visitors to Wrexham would be able to relate to the fact that a Hackney Carriage Taxi in Wrexham would be a specific colour. travel anywhere in this country and abroad and you will find that different towns, cities and countries have all got something to identify their taxis, I hope this helps.

[quote quote=93937]What is the standard elsewhere as it wouldnt just be locals having to identify them – so is there a standard?

Also, what is the issue that has been identified that would be solved with this and is there any data on it?

[/quote]

jok
    Participant

[quote quote=93948]Just out of interest how many Hackney Carriages operate in the Wrexham area?
    I can only think of the blue one in town operated by JOK.

I believe that there are around 26 Hackney Carriages operating in Wrexham, although most of them work from Private Hire Offices, which is not illegal but a bone of contention with Hackney Carriage Operators that work the streets, as the original intention of Hackney Carriages was to be for the benefit of the the travelling public to be able to hire a vehicle immediately. I am pleased that the TWO Hackney Carriages operated within Wrexham County Borough by JOK have duly been recognised as such. The unique design of the London style taxi are a credit to any town that chooses to licence them.

ddraig
    Participant

I agree that we should have a standardized hackney carriage colour. JOK will know better than me the exact regulations and I know they differ per council – however I am a big believer in hackney carriages over mini-cabs. I have lived in a number of places where they work really well and provide safe and convenient travel. In the past I believe pretty much all ‘hackney carriages’ used the ‘London Taxi’ style car but this has now changed in many places and that means it is essential that mini-cabs and hackney carriages can be differentiated. Once the council decide on this I think you will see more mini-cab companies introducing this service.

I don’t have a preference for colour but I wouldn’t be against trying to come up with a unique colour for the town. This can both make it obvious to people that its a hackney carriage but also make a statement (hopefully not the awful council purple though).

jok
    Participant

[quote quote=94017]I agree that we should have a standardized hackney carriage colour. JOK will know better than me the exact regulations and I know they differ per council – however I am a big believer in hackney carriages over mini-cabs. I have lived in a number of places where they work really well and provide safe and convenient travel. In the past I believe pretty much all ‘hackney carriages’ used the ‘London Taxi’ style car but this has now changed in many places and that means it is essential that mini-cabs and hackney carriages can be differentiated. Once the council decide on this I think you will see more mini-cab companies introducing this service.

I don’t have a preference for colour but I wouldn’t be against trying to come up with a unique colour for the town. This can both make it obvious to people that its a hackney carriage but also make a statement (hopefully not the awful council purple though).

It was suggested by one committee member that the corporate colour of purple be chosen, but I poured cold water on that one at the committee meeting. I agree with ddraig that we need a unique colour that is specific to Wrexham, that is why I started this thread, but the problem is which one to choose. I am particularly keen to establish a unique colour for Wrexham as these days Hackney Carriages from outside the area are allowed by law to work in Wrexham as private hire vehicles, they cannot legally pick up in the street and must work for a locally based private hire operator so there is a need to establish our own identity for our town’s Hackney Carriages. There is an argument that it could just be possible that the out of town Hackney Carriages could be the same colour and specification as Wrexham Hackneys, but where do you you stop? Turning this debate on it’s head, some of our Hackney Carriages are working in the licensing area of Cheshire West and Chester in the Farndon, Barton, Carden Park and Broxton areas of that county. I don’t agree with that operation personally but it is happening. Cheshire West and Chester licensing authority insist on their Hackneys being black, so in theory that rules out the colour black for Wrexham Hackneys as it might lead the public in the areas of Farndon, Barton, Carden Park and Broxton areas to believe that Wrexham licensed Hackney Carriages are in fact Cheshire West and Chester licensed Hackney Carriages. I really do need the help of the public on this issue, what colour would set our Hackney Carriages apart from neighbouring counties?

Sheefag
    Participant

Gripping stuff, simply gripping, MORE OF THIS KIND OF THING.

AMA Express
    Participant

Why go for one single colour? Several towns have taxis that are distinguished by their contrasting bodypanel colours. For instance Brighton’s are white with a light-blue bonnet, Leeds has taxis with black bodies and white bonnets and boots.

There’s nothing to stop you going for black cabs and a chequered black and white bonnet and/or other body panels, that can be easily applied using vinyl.

dagg
    Participant

What about Red body. and a White bonnet and boot.

Daave63
    Participant

Don’t be stupid dagg, white bonnet & booties! Its a cab not a bloody baby!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News