Electoral Roll

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Electoral Roll

• Author

A Nuisance
    Participant

I despise people who are eligible to vote, not voting.
    In the main, they are the very ones who do the most complaining when things go wrong or not as they would like them to.
    It would be interesting to find out whether the habitual dissenting contributors to this forum bother to get off their backsides and put their cross on the ballot paper on voting days.

If their was someone/something worth voting for then people would vote example….( Scottish referendum) As it is I for one do not want to be complicate in the charade know as politics.
    As for the “habitual dissenting contributors” voting habits, I would suspect they would be more likely to abstain from putting an x in a box, on the grounds that they question things a bit more than most.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I very much doubt the veracity of your final sentence.

If people cannot be bothered to vote (and maybe their vote would help produce a different outcome), they have no right to complain after the event.

As has been famously said “if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem”

Ferret
    Participant

@BenjaminM 18235 wrote:

I very much doubt the veracity of your final sentence.

If people cannot be bothered to vote (and maybe their vote would help produce a different outcome), they have no right to complain after the event.

As has been famously said “if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem”

Not sure I agree with that. There’s “not voting” because you can’t be bothered / take no interest in politics etc.: and “not voting” because no matter how hard you try none of the candidates push your buttons. Either way people always have the right to complain about the performance of whoever gets in -but admittedly it’s a bit rich for abstainers to grumble about the outcome of the election.

JaneJ
    Participant

There are two electoral rolls — public and private and people can select for their info not to be Public- not sure how ‘safe’ the private registration is as often lists of people are readily traded.
    Sutton Council sells your electoral register details for £1,000 (From Sutton Guardian)

If other Council sell information — wonder what Wrexham Council do.. how much are they making from our information.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

I completely agree with universal suffrage, to me the payment for living in a democratic country which is (compared to many other places) extemely safe, is to vote. But the main reason they are encouraging everyone to register on the register is because the national fraud initiative use it to identify various housing and other benefit frauds. If you are claiming housing benefit saying you are living alone, they can check the register for any other adults registered at the address.
    I’m all for it, except for finding a solution for providing benefits for homeless people, I think that being on the electeral register should be a pre-requisite for claiming benefits.

BenjaminM
    Participant

What evidence do you have Jane that the Private Electoral Roll is readily traded, because that is certainly what you seem to be implying? It certainly does not say that in the article that you refer to.

Under the Electoral Registration Regulations, the Public register is available to virtually anybody in exchange for a fee as determinedby the local registration body.
    The Private register is available only to certain categories, including Police, certain Government Departments, the local Council and Credit Agencies, for Jury Service purposes and of course, electoral purposes – the sale of which, is completely legitimate.

Do I detect another flippant FOI request coming on?

A Nuisance
    Participant

sorry you seemed to have missed my point; The only choice you have is vote for a political party or not. All current ones except the greens which I know little about, are proven to be corrupt to the very core.
    As has been famously said “if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem” that is a misquote!!!

BenjaminM
    Participant

“You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re going to be part of the problem.”

Happy now?

JaneJ
    Participant

Perhaps this article will help to clear up the issue of Councils selling information (I had nothing to do with this FOI before you comment about flippant FOIs being made)

Welsh councils make £143,000 from electoral roll data – Wales Online

wrexview
    Participant

“Wrexham council received the most money over the past four years from selling the electoral register at £28,754.50, followed by Cardiff council at £13,949.50.”

Relevant quote from the article dated 2012 . So income covers the period 2008-2012 .

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News