Egerton / King Street Regeneration

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Egerton / King Street Regeneration

• Author

RhosdduCowboy
    Participant

Six or seven months ago we were told by the Council that the area around the bus station would be ‘regenerated’.

For ‘regeneration’ read a new pavement, new street lights and a couple of ‘arty’ benches that you’ve never seen anyone sitting on. What a waste…despite all the council cuts. Thank you for trying WCBC but you’ve totally missed the point.

The block paving on the pavement is disgusting. After such a short time it’s so uneven. Take heed WCBC. There’ll be a few claims in the pipline.

99DylanJones
    Participant

There has already had to be remedial work to the road surface in Trinity Street and yesterday they were relaying some of the paving slabs that had gone uneven already.– This is before we have had a bad winter.
    I have not seen any improvement to shop frontages which was one of the other parts of the scheme- would be interesting to know if any business has been given funding..
    The whole area needs the students from Glyndwr and Colleg Cambria to get out there with pots of paint and actually brighten the area up as it currently must qualify for one of the most drab and depressing bus station areas in the UK.
    Is this a welcoming hub to the town!

wrexview
    Participant

Why doesn’t Wrexham Council get quality work when they award contracts? Brook Street pavements were replaced several times in places, Chester Road resurfacing is substandard and crumbling, solar panels are not saving homes as much are predicated and so the list could go on. Now King Street needs attention within weeks of completion.

Alunh
    Participant

@99DylanJones 12674 wrote:

I have not seen any improvement to shop frontages which was one of the other parts of the scheme- would be interesting to know if any business has been given funding..
    The whole area needs the students from Glyndwr and Colleg Cambria to get out there with pots of paint and actually brighten the area up as it currently must qualify for one of the most drab and depressing bus station areas in the UK.
    Is this a welcoming hub to the town!

To see an area rapidly improved Dylan there is no magic formula involving public sector expenditure. Actually, the opposite is probably the case! However you rationalise it, all the money spent in King Street will be sourced from some form of public purse and will have an effect on Business Rates (one of the methods of raising public sector funds). The Rates rising has forced landlords to review (downwards) their rental patterns. Whilst this is good for, say, me, it does mean that little investment occurs in rental stock. One only has to look at the Centenary Buildings to see how little a landlord will spend to try and draw in tenants. I remember years ago money being given by the government for properties in Chester Street to reverse the state of the buildings and, to be honest, this seems to be madness

99DylanJones
    Participant

Why can’t the Council give a rate free period to a landlord provided that value is reinvested in the property – sure,y this would be more beneficial than spending public money (which originated from the businesses in the first place).
    Are Landlords deliberately running property down so businesses don’t want to open up so that eventually all existing businesses are move then they are free to sell the land for development.

RhosdduCowboy
    Participant

Wrexview is correct. Why doesn’t WCBC get quality contractors to carry out work? Maybe they just contract the cheapest? Alunh also has a point when he says any monies will be sourced in some way from the Public purse. We were promised a regeneration which stated a new shop front facade – not just a new pavement and street lights. I regularly walk along Trinity Street and the uneveness of the block paving is already awful. The ‘three wave’ benches on King are a joke. I’ve never seen anyone utilising them. Can we have ‘selfies’ of people sitting on them sent to Wrexham.com please!

All this in a time when WCBC is closing Libraries and Leisure Centres. And local Coucillors have accepted a pay rise (although they will write a strongly worded letter to the Independant Remuneration Panel for Wales to reject it).

My next point is probably due another thread. But I’ve been informed that certain Councillors are unemployed and claim rightfull unemployment benefits etc. But as a Councillor they are still entitled to their 15k per annum allowances without it impacting benefits. The information I’ve been given might be totally incorrect (so apologies to all) but does anyone know if this is correct? RhosdduCowboy.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Your information re Councilor allowances is probably correct as the money paid is not a wage and provided they are seeking employment then they would be entitled to Job Seekers allowance. Equally those Councilors who are on retirement pension would find that the first £10,600 of the allowance would not be taxable. For those that are employed the Allowance is taxable (on the amount left after they have deducted travel expenses and expenses incurred in being a Councillor)

justjojo2011
    Participant

FYI, the money that paid for the “regeneration” came from a European grant and not from Council funding. However, with that said, council tax in the area has supposedly gone up “to pay for the improvements”

@Alunh 12679 wrote:

To see an area rapidly improved Dylan there is no magic formula involving public sector expenditure. Actually, the opposite is probably the case! However you rationalise it, all the money spent in King Street will be sourced from some form of public purse and will have an effect on Business Rates (one of the methods of raising public sector funds). The Rates rising has forced landlords to review (downwards) their rental patterns. Whilst this is good for, say, me, it does mean that little investment occurs in rental stock. One only has to look at the Centenary Buildings to see how little a landlord will spend to try and draw in tenants. I remember years ago money being given by the government for properties in Chester Street to reverse the state of the buildings and, to be honest, this seems to be madness

99DylanJones
    Participant

This was supposed to be about Regeneration — where are the new shops? TE Roberts had traded on reputation for years is now going to be a Union office.
    How many shops benefited directly — looks like none as you cant see any building improvements — what happened to the money allocated for businesses?

justjojo2011
    Participant

Ah but they did regenerate it. At least in their eyes. i for one can’t look at the floor as Im walking to work.. the colours mash in too much and give me a migraine. TE Roberts, well I found them over the top on prices and never actually went there but it has been a part of King Street for as long as I can remember. It is still trading at the moment.

Regeneration is about changing the view and they achieved that.. just didn’t become a nice one. Although I like the ball planters lol

@99DylanJones 12921 wrote:

This was supposed to be about Regeneration — where are the new shops? TE Roberts had traded on reputation for years is now going to be a Union office.
    How many shops benefited directly — looks like none as you cant see any building improvements — what happened to the money allocated for businesses?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News