Early Morning Cyclists

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Early Morning Cyclists

• Author

don_simon
    Participant

[quote quote=135594]

How come motorists need to give cyclists a wide berth when they over take them but a cyclist can squeeze between a vehicle and the kerb to get to the front of a queue ?

[/quote]
    I’m sure the Police will be all over filtering (which is legal) cyclists the very first time they kill a driver in their 1500kg metal boxes.
    But that wasn’t a serious question though, was it?

Rodben
    Participant

How many cyclists know the highway code? How many cyclists have passed a competency test to be on the roads?
    Yes, we all need to be careful where cyclists are concerned. But isn’t it about time that a compulsory cycling test for riding on the roads is made law? Lets get real, anyone can jump on a cycle and use the road.

Ackerssenior
    Participant

How many motorists know the Highway Code. They are the ones that are driving the killing machines. If poor drivers are not killing themselves. They are killing or injuring other road users. I cycle and drive a car and there’s people on cycles that break the law and then the decent law abiding cyclists get tarred with the same brush, but there’s a lot of motorists that drive shockingly, have not insurance, mot, road tax , unroadworthy vehicles, drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol, on their phones etc etc
    There’s far greater consequences with their outlook in life than a person on a cycle not being competent

Ackerssenior
    Participant

I’m a law abiding cyclist not just a person on a cycle that as no regard for their own safety and that of other road users. I fully agree with your statement and we have the same issue near where I work. You can get good quality lights with good battery life at a reasonable price. The police should have a purge on these people on cycles and take the bikes off them until they can show that they have a roadworthy legal cycle. I’m fed up of proper cyclists being slagged off through the stupidity of these idiots. The trouble is the police are probably under resourced and they would have to fill in to much paperwork

Theresa
    Participant

As a pedestrian, I hate cyclists on the pavements, as a car driver, I hate them on the road, but either way, it’s a human that’s out and about, whether for exercise or work I give them the respect and room they need, as long as they have the same respect back :)

Borrasblogger
    Participant

This morning I passed two more cyclists between 5:30 and 5:45 who had no lights and wore dark clothing. Cars were suddenly braking as they came up to them and had obviously only seen them at the last minute. Mornings are now becoming much darker and one of these days an incident is inevitable. Let’s promote the dangers and offer solutions. Offer road safety advice and practical means for them to purchase helmets, lights and reflective clothing at discount rates or on an interest free loan.

don_simon
    Participant

[quote quote=136224]This morning I passed two more cyclists between 5:30 and 5:45 who had no lights and wore dark clothing. Cars were suddenly braking as they came up to them and had obviously only seen them at the last minute. Mornings are now becoming much darker and one of these days an incident is inevitable. Let’s promote the dangers and offer solutions. Offer road safety advice and practical means for them to purchase lights at discount rates or on an interest free loan.

[/quote]
    Fixed to avoid confusion.
    Lights are the only item you can push for as it’s a legal requirement.
    A helmet won’t help you see them in the dark and is of dubious safety benefit.
    Hi-viz/reflectiveclothing is pure victim blaming and just a wish.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News