Early Morning Cyclists

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Early Morning Cyclists

• Author

Borrasblogger
    Participant

With daylight beginning to cut in the age old problem of cyclists not using lights, helmets or reflective clothing along the Cefn Road to the Industrial estate is once again apparent. This morning at 5:30 I passed three cyclists with no lights and with dark clothing and no helmets. Could Wrexham.com have an initiative along with the local police to encourage cyclists (and walkers) to make themselves more visible as mornings get darker?

AMA Express
    Participant

No doubt when the inevitable happens it’ll be the motorist or truck driver who’ll get the blame.

keirik
    Participant

yes because it’s well known that cyclists are always the cause of their own deaths.

Idiot

MP1953
    Participant

As an occasional (not lycra type) cyclist I can see both sides here, personally I keep as far as I can to cycle lanes or pavements, I do have lights on day & night but not reflective clothing or a helmet..

Proper cyclists the lycra (mamils !) types hug most of the road (mostly) and expect motorist to queue behind them and to wait for an opportunity to pass safely, they refuse to use cycle lanes even when available, again I can see the reason, of which is mostly because the cycle lanes are of poor surface quality and generally not joined up.

The solution is for proper cycle lanes to be created through out the country similar to Sweden and Denmark of which Chris Boardman is now taking up and is shortly going to put proposals forward to the government on a national basis.

But for now I think that ordinary cyclists (as I call them) should use pavements and cycle paths when available.

Huw
    Participant

I think it’s falling on deaf ears asking for any help from the Police. Unless somebody is seriously hurt or killed then nothing will get done and you won’t get heard.
    I have been complaining for years about cars and especially lunatic motorbike riders road racing around Wrexhan, particularly on the A5156 Llan y Pwll bypass, and nothing has been done. Your just wasting your time.

pete
    Participant

Would be nice if motor vehicles had their lights on too when it’s dark and/or poor visibility.
    The police neede to crack down on this, like they do with all motoring laws. They can pull over the invisible cyclists at the same time too.
    The problem is they have no time/money for it and other things are considered more important.

Sheefag
    Participant

[quote quote=135548]no lights and with dark clothing and no helmets[/quote] = Legitimate Target

don_simon
    Participant

This type of thread usually descends into arguments pretty quickly, so I’ll put in a couple of points of fact which are beyond debate.
    Cyclists are not obliged to wear helmets.
    Cyclists are not obliged to wear reflective clothing ( it may or may not be a good idea though).
    Cyclists are obliged to use lights when it is dark (as are drivers who also should indicate and pass cyclists safely).
    The motorist is likely to get the blame, usually because they are at fault.
    Cyclists are not obliged to use cycle paths (even if it is right nect to the road they are using).
    Cyclists are not permitted to ride on pavements.
    Cyclists are allowed to take up the primary position (middle of the carriageway). This is usually to protect themselves from damgerous overtakes.
    Police forces are now starting to introduce penalties for unsafe passes, that is less than 1.5m distance.
    It is a road.
    It is to be shared by all.
    No one has priority.
    No one has greater rights.
    They are paid for through general taxation and NOT VED.
    Cycles do not cause congestion (other cars do).
    It is safer for cyclists to ride in a bunch, rather than in single file (easieer to overtake)’
    If you find you are being held up by cyclists, you can do a few things:
    1. Chill.
    2. Start your journey a couple of minutes earlier.
    3. Buy a bike.
    Finally, when I see car drivers behaving impeccably, they will be in a better position to criticise cyclists. They are not, the standard of driving in this country is appalling- perhaps we should address this first.
    Until we get a better infrastructure we will have to share the roads.
    Let’s do it nicely.
    ;)

AMA Express
    Participant

[img]http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/misc/fckeditorFiles/image/CYCLIST/WMP%20cycling%20distances.jpg[/img]

How come motorists need to give cyclists a wide berth when they over take them but a cyclist can squeeze between a vehicle and the kerb to get to the front of a queue ?

Ferret
    Participant

[quote quote=135548]With daylight beginning to cut in the age old problem of cyclists not using lights, helmets or reflective clothing along the Cefn Road to the Industrial estate is once again apparent. This morning at 5:30 I passed three cyclists with no lights and with dark clothing and no helmets. Could Wrexham.com have an initiative along with the local police to encourage cyclists (and walkers) to make themselves more visible as mornings get darker?

[/quote]
    Anybody out at 5.30am is just a bloke going to work on a bike. Not cyclists.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News