Eagles Meadow car park charges

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Eagles Meadow car park charges

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

@Rondetto 16253 wrote:

The car park increase has been suspended for now. Due to pressure from surrounding units Vinci have relented for now. We’ll have to wait and see
    what happens next.

Its a start, but £3 20 for two hours is still to much :mad: everyone should carry on boycotting it… ;)

MP1953
    Participant

@MP1953 16255 wrote:

Its a start, but £3 20 for two hours is still to much :mad: everyone should carry on boycotting it… ;)

An interesting article in the leader this week….

Keep the pressure up they are all starting to crack, Vinci and the Council :D:D :p

Rob
    Participant

Why do the Leader keep writing that Vinci own the carpark?!

MP1953
    Participant

It has been mentioned before, the FREE 3 hour car park right in the center of Prestatyn where the new shopping center has been built has absolutely transformed the whole of the town, not sure who owns the car park, I don’t think its Tesco… but hats off to whoever set it up there.. :):)

Alunh
    Participant

There are at least 4 major categories of people who park in a town, those who live there, those who work there, those who shop there and those who visit there.

Given the money that has been put into Destination Wrexham, it is clear that those who run the town think that the Visitors and Shoppers have to be a priority for the town’s marketing department. This is not rocket science. Many jobs and livelihoods depend on the inflow of spend and it is a presumption that shops, hotels and a whole range of services depend upon people coming to Wrexham (as opposed to elsewhere).

It is vital, therefore, that the big welcome mat is put out for the town’s customers and every effort should be made to shoe horn people into this town (as opposed to its competitors). If the Eagles Meadow charges are held down by forms of pressure, good. If they rise, every imaginable other way should be found to keep Car Parking charges to a minimum for Shoppers and Visitors to the town.

One way the Town Council could approach the alternative parking strategy (that is their own Car Parks) is to focus on the different types of Car Park users described above and create a more nuanced parking policy. Car Parking for 8 hour + users in Wrexham (all day parkers) is relatively cheap in the Peoples Market at £3.00 especially when it is compared with the same levy being imposed upon a visitor to the town/shopper who is only using the car park facilities for (say) 3 hours+. 8 hour + users are usually workers in the town or individuals who live there. The Council must adopt strategies to take the burden off the Tourist and Shopper and I would like to see either all Car Park users pay lower tariffs or, if there has to be revenue raised, an emphasis on raising one set of charges and lowering the other. This will not be popular but will be wiser than present. Workers may well choose to walk to work, use a bus, Car share, ride a bike or come on a train; they may opt to park at a higher tariff. They will, however, still come. Shoppers and Tourists will not

MP1953
    Participant

@Alunh 16461 wrote:

There are at least 4 major categories of people who park in a town, those who live there, those who work there, those who shop there and those who visit there.

Given the money that has been put into Destination Wrexham, it is clear that those who run the town think that the Visitors and Shoppers have to be a priority for the town’s marketing department. This is not rocket science. Many jobs and livelihoods depend on the inflow of spend and it is a presumption that shops, hotels and a whole range of services depend upon people coming to Wrexham (as opposed to elsewhere).

It is vital, therefore, that the big welcome mat is put out for the town’s customers and every effort should be made to shoe horn people into this town (as opposed to its competitors). If the Eagles Meadow charges are held down by forms of pressure, good. If they rise, every imaginable other way should be found to keep Car Parking charges to a minimum for Shoppers and Visitors to the town.

One way the Town Council could approach the alternative parking strategy (that is their own Car Parks) is to focus on the different types of Car Park users described above and create a more nuanced parking policy. Car Parking for 8 hour + users in Wrexham (all day parkers) is relatively cheap in the Peoples Market at £3.00 especially when it is compared with the same levy being imposed upon a visitor to the town/shopper who is only using the car park facilities for (say) 3 hours+. 8 hour + users are usually workers in the town or individuals who live there. The Council must adopt strategies to take the burden off the Tourist and Shopper and I would like to see either all Car Park users pay lower tariffs or, if there has to be revenue raised, an emphasis on raising one set of charges and lowering the other. This will not be popular but will be wiser than present. Workers may well choose to walk to work, use a bus, Car share, ride a bike or come on a train; they may opt to park at a higher tariff. They will, however, still come. Shoppers and Tourists will not

That does pretty much sum it up, but I would still look at a free parking for at least an hour, again this has been mentioned before, that there is no end of people who just want to slip to town to go to a couple of shops and that’s it, but as it is won,t go if they have to pay and therefore the town looses out..but however I disagree with you about the rocket science if people in charge of car parks can’t see this :D

Rondetto
    Participant

Exactly: My wife and I go to M&S about 3 times a week. We are in and out in 10 minutes. When they first moved there we parked when it was £1 and then you had to put your car registration on the ticket. Since they put it so sharply we haven’t parked there. Only 5 cars in there on Saturday morning.

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 16462 wrote:

That does pretty much sum it up, but I would still look at a free parking for at least an hour, again this has been mentioned before, that there is no end of people who just want to slip to town to go to a couple of shops and that’s it, but as it is won,t go if they have to pay and therefore the town loses out

Absolutely 100% agree. For me, Car Parking should never have become a means to pay the wages of Council Employees (or all of the other things that the revenue is put to). Austerity pressures should not have meant the short sighted raising of Car Parking charges and shooting the town in the foot is no sensible way to go. I suspect that the current leadership get the message and the “free” initiatives are to be welcomed and applauded. Short stay pop ins really have to be encouraged and this is the reason that Borras shops do so well. My only point is that if there does have to be a revenue flow to the Council (and the politicians will insist that there has to be), then the Council needs a more focussed approach.

I would like to see Market Street offering a free component (and a shop mobility point adjacent to eagles Meadow & the town)

jimbow
    Participant

I agree totally with the above.It is just a pity that we cannot find out the revenues from each of the car parks i.e. long stay,1hour tickets ,two hour tickets etc.We could then possibly work out a better system of charges.I am led to believe that the present monthly revenue from car parks has fallen to an average of £60,000 per month.This I believe is a drop in revenue due to the increase in charges.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News