Eagles Meadow car park charges

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Eagles Meadow car park charges

• Author

johnhoppy
    Participant

I am sure that the tenants of Eagles Meadow will not be too pleased with these increases. I was looking at the cost of tickets for the Odeon, and a £7 parking charge for up to 3 hours will be a substantial part of the cost of an afternoon’s entertainment, and in some cases can be more that the cost of a single ticket. If you intend to have a meal as part of your day out the cost of parking would probably cost £9. Cheshire Oaks and Broughton Park must be rubbing their hands in glee in anticipation of the extra business heading their way. Shame on you Vinci.

docksboy
    Participant

Absolutely crazy prices. I park in Canary Wharf in London regularly and even there the prices are only:

0 – 2 hours £3.80
    2 – 3 hours £5.30
    3 – 4 hours £9.50
    4 – 5 hours £12.80
    5 – 6 hours £14.80
    6 – 10 hours £21.20
    Over 10 hours £25.50
    Entry after 1800hrs £2.50 for the first 2 hours and £6.50 thereafter, up to 4am the next morning.

How can Vinci warrant these prices in WREXHAM!!!!!

Alunh
    Participant

@Adam 15709 wrote:

Firstly, like Katia, I had to re-read Kevin Critchley’s comment about the risk of dropping Council run car park charges. It’s a level of economics that a 10yr old would grasp pretty quickly runing a lemonade stall.

Secondly, economic nous is not even required as there must surely be data available to compare pre and post price rise occupancy to confirm what should already be understood.

Lastly, should council run car parks even be income generators? Any charge above the operating costs is effectively an entry fee to visit the town centre. It then boils down to perceived value for money, as discussed on here many times.

Excellent

Alunh
    Participant

Many will try to work out if Vinci are trying to make more money from their price adjustments. This is a difficult calculation and the laws of elasticity might indicate that a small price increase would bring a larger take. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be what is driving Vinci’s approach and this would seem to support Rondetto’s argument (that is that it might be a tactic designed to allow a contract termination).

Either way, this will be messy.

For me, the worst element of this is that people from Chester, Mold, Oswestry, and Whitchurch who shop in Wrexham (and there are MANY of them) will very soon regard brand Wrexham as one to avoid full stop. Whilst I have read many comments about how bad the town is, such comments are all relative. The town does actually remain a destination of choice for many, and whilst we criticise frequently, the streets still throb with people on certain days and at certain times. I do not suffer from rosy tinted views of things. I see all of the problems and there are many. Up until now, this has not stopped many people from making the town a place to shop…..regularly.

Sadly, the fact that both the Council and Vinci are approaching the Car Park question from an angle that has little to do with the best interests of the town, is brand destructive

GVC
    Participant

I believe Vinci want out of their parking contact and this is their way of getting Eagles Meadow to revisit it and let them out of it, looks like at the expense of the people of Wrexham. They know it will effect trade so hoping that Eagles Meadow will sit up and listen. Basically Vinci are holding the shopping centre to ransom! this parking area is nothing to do with wrexham Councils parking areas and is totally private

jimbow
    Participant

Up to October 2013 the council gave an occupation level of 85% for their car parks.This would bring in an estimated return of around £900,000.I am now led to believe that the present average monthly users of council car parks is just under £60,000.It would appear from this information that Council car park revenue has fallen by around £180,000 per year,since the increase in car park charges.Maybe Tesco have taken up the slack,who knows?

Rondetto
    Participant

I agree with all above, the Eagles Meadow car parking doesn’t really affect the town shoppers that much. Shoppers who like to shop in the town centre tend to park as close as possible to the town centre.
    The Eagles meadow car park affects mostly shoppers in that particular shopping precinct and it’s those stores who are being hit hard with these increases.
    They’ve already see a drop in footfall and can now look forward to an even
    more drop in business.
    If it is a ploy by Vinci to tear up their 25 year contract then it’s best it’s done now before the units at the precinct start going bust one by one leaving it like a ghost precinct.

DR
    Participant

Spotted a couple of comments on the Wrexham Savers Facebook pager earlier saying that the signs at Matalan and Colour Supplies car park had been taken down. Seems to be some queries in as to whether this means anyone can park there now, rather than it being specifically used by Matalan & Colour Supplies shoppers.

locallad
    Participant

Come on Wrexham council,get your act together now.Get that filthy peoples market car park cleaned up, it looks as if it’s never been cleaned since the day it opened.The stairwells smell of urine & cannabis.The car park is a disgrace.With these prices going up at Eagles meadow,it’s your chance to get much needed revenue.At least show some commitment to try & keep shoppers in Wrexham.

Alunh
    Participant

@locallad 15731 wrote:

Come on Wrexham council,get your act together now.Get that filthy peoples market car park cleaned up, it looks as if it’s never been cleaned since the day it opened.The stairwells smell of urine & cannabis.The car park is a disgrace.With these prices going up at Eagles meadow,it’s your chance to get much needed revenue.At least show some commitment to try & keep shoppers in Wrexham.

Quite agree with this. Many will have noticed that for the last 5 years graffiti has decorated the bottom of the stairwell in the People’s Market reading Deno the fat t**t. This indicates a mindset which emanates from individual and collective indifference/idleness. Whilst many draw good incomes from the public purse, such things as this should NEVER remain in place. Can we please pull our collective fingers out!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News