Eagles Meadow car park charges

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Eagles Meadow car park charges

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

True, they do want out of their 25 year lease. Maybe this is one way of forcing
    the job.

pete
    Participant

@zinger 15694 wrote:

I was in town early one morning and was able to park & nip into a shop to pick something up. I said at the time, that this is what Wrexham lacks. Who wants to pay to park when you just want to nip into a bank or pick up a prescription or a bouquet of flowers. Time is short for most of us these days & not many people have time to walk around the shops for two hours.

There are a few spots where you can do this (Chester Street, Crescent Road, Pentrefelin, Brook Street, Bridge Street, St Georges Crescent) but spaces are limited and seem to be taken by people staying there for hours.

Katia
    Participant

@Ponciau 15695 wrote:

I think people need to get their facts right! Da Vinci are the culprits in this scenario they only lease of Eagles meadow I feel that this increase will only cause the local shops to suffer not only over the festive period but for the forseable future as well rumour has it that Da Vinci want out of their lease therefore the rise if Eagles meadow saw fit to release them it would be a boost for the town

Completely agree with you.
    The facts posted are correct, you may note I stated its up to Wrexham shoppers not to park there. Not that they shouldn’t shop there.

My bone is that Kevin Critchley, manager of the Eagles Meadow Shopping Centre, said at the Town Centre Forum “the council might not be able to face the risk of lowering car parking charges in a bid to increase footfall.”

Its in everybody’s interest (except Vinci) to argue for lower parking charges for all the car parking spaces.
    I am interested in why Wrexham Savers want parking to be scrutinised outside the Town Centre Forum. Mr Critchley should be arguing for cheaper parking at council car parks within the Town Centre Forum, and arguing for cheaper parking at Eagles Meadow with Vinci. Maybe he is ?
    Hopefully Wrexham.com will find out when he returns from holiday.
    If Eagles Meadow has a more attractive parking rate it will benefit all the shops etc whether at Eagles Meadow or in the town. Naturally the reverse also applies.
    Last Monday I parked in Rhyl with the option of 50p for 1 hour or £1 for 4 hours. In Llandudno I parked free for 90 minutes.

I would like to hear more from Joanne Rodgers, parking-services co-ordinator for Wrexham, and Wrexham Town Centre Manager Isobel Garner, exactly what they are doing at meetings to argue the case for more attractive short stay parking ie free, and cheaper long stay parking at council car parks.
    I suppose neither are responsible for setting parking rates but lets hear them accentuate the positives.
    Yes, it is a balancing act but Wrexham parking is too expensive, especially the new rates for Eagles Meadow which are too high.
    My argument is support council car parks rather than Vinci – and at the same time promote the case for cheaper parking.

MP1953
    Participant

I would like to hear more from Joanne Rodgers, parking-services co-ordinator for Wrexham, and Wrexham Town Centre Manager Isobel Garner, exactly what they are doing at meetings to argue the case for more attractive short stay parking ie free, and cheaper long stay parking at council car parks.

I have never heard of the above individuals, but by their fancy titles, it seems they should have at least a view or say on the debacle of parking in general in Wrexham, it would nice for them to put their head above the parapet and at least make a comment, I am sure they read what is said on here ;););)

dale
    Participant

@Ferret 15679 wrote:

This seems a much more logical response that all the anti-wrexham numpties who seem to gloat about shopping in Broughton or England. It’s not local traders’ (or national chains at EM) fault that a multi-national parking company don’t understand the local market. Just park somewhere else and give the town your business. And to the Broughton enthusiasts: OK different shops fine . But JUST because of parking? Let’s say 20 mile round trip. HMRC allow 45p a mile making a total cost of £9. Even fuel alone say £3 ‘pendin on the car. Plus your prescious time travelling of course. Or maybe you just prefer the shops in Broughton / England (understandable) and the parking costs at EM give you an excuse for not shooping in your town. Discuss.

I think the excessive parking charges is one of a long list of reasons why I no longer go to Wrexham if I can avoid it.

Amongst them are the disjointed road system, the disjointed location of the shops, the virtual wasteland that the town centre has become, the fact that other places are generally “nicer” to go and do your shopping in….

As said above the parking is only one of a list of reasons, however how are they hoping to attract more people into town while the parking charges are as high as they are (I appreciate the council car parks are a bit cheaper, however I feel there should be some better incentives, eg free for an hour, 50p for a couple of hours etc. The prices they have at the moment are = Chester prices, which whether you like it or not is a much nicer environment to shop/spend some time in)

This needs to be the first thing to be put right – get the people back into the town then hopefully more money will start to come in and the other things will follow.

woogleeye
    Participant

Once again its Rip Off Britain and joe public pays the price.

Ferret
    Participant

@dale 15700 wrote:

I think the excessive parking charges is one of a long list of reasons why I no longer go to Wrexham if I can avoid it.

Amongst them are the disjointed road system, the disjointed location of the shops, the virtual wasteland that the town centre has become, the fact that other places are generally “nicer” to go and do your shopping in….

As said above the parking is only one of a list of reasons, however how are they hoping to attract more people into town while the parking charges are as high as they are (I appreciate the council car parks are a bit cheaper, however I feel there should be some better incentives, eg free for an hour, 50p for a couple of hours etc. The prices they have at the moment are = Chester prices, which whether you like it or not is a much nicer environment to shop/spend some time in)

This needs to be the first thing to be put right – get the people back into the town then hopefully more money will start to come in and the other things will follow.

Fair point. BTW apologies for the “numpties” remark earlier. That was impolite (and ill-advised coming from someone who can’t spell “precious”).

Adam
    Participant

Firstly, like Katia, I had to re-read Kevin Critchley’s comment about the risk of dropping Council run car park charges. It’s a level of economics that a 10yr old would grasp pretty quickly runing a lemonade stall.

Secondly, economic nous is not even required as there must surely be data available to compare pre and post price rise occupancy to confirm what should already be understood.

Lastly, should council run car parks even be income generators? Any charge above the operating costs is effectively an entry fee to visit the town centre. It then boils down to perceived value for money, as discussed on here many times.

Katia
    Participant

Thank you Adam – you nailed it in far fewer words than I can ever manage !

feedshallow
    Participant

Just paid £2 to park under the John Lewis store in the Capitol Centre Cardiff. To hear that to park for the same amount of time under Eagles Meadow in Wrexham will cost me £5 beggars belief. I think someone needs to sort out their priorities or Wrexham town centre will quite rightly become a ghost town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News