E.U Elections….who will you vote for?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum E.U Elections….who will you vote for?

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=167130]
    Spoiling a paper or recording a protest vote gives the impression that people are interested but by not voting, there is a poor turnout and the politicians get the message that nobody cares because the elections shouldn’t be taking place.
    [/quote]

So basically every single council election ever? A large number of the wards in 2017 returned a councillor with less than 40% of the ward turning out. With such low validity do you think that stops those elected from thinking they have every right to completely mismanage and ruin our town? The majority of these are career politicians we are talking about or retired individuals looking for a nice earner to supplement their pensions. Quite frankly they’d feel validated and victorious if they won with just 1 vote (voting for themselves) and nobody else voting.

European MEPs are exactly the same type. They will not give a toss if the turnout is low. The turnout in 2014 from the UK for the EU elections was only 35.6%.

Non participation favours the status quo who will continue to dictate how your life is led. It basically reinforces the ruling class system that has been place in this country for thousands of year.

The only reason they haven’t made electoral reforms across the board such as compulsory voting and changing First Past the Post to Proportional Representation in things like the general election is because the likes of the Tories or former Blairite Labour and their wealthy backers would get such a kick up the backside they’d no longer be able to have a stranglehold over the country.

WreX-iT
    Participant

I will be voting in other elections (so i can moan then!) but not for these joke ones. By the time their winning hangovers have subsided, they will be being kicked out of their jobs.

I think that they will be lucky to get a 36% turnout but i may be wrong and people may vote as a protest.

Only time will tell – – – – and now i don’t know what to do again!

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Rather ironically, these European elections will be the first ones since 1979 that are actually about our relationship with and involvement in the European Union. The Brexiteers have had three years to organize our departure from the EU and to present a realistic and achievable vision for the country going forward. They have failed to deliver on either. Johnson, Farage, Davies, Raab, Rees-Mogg and others have all fled the scene or buckled under the pressure of real decisions. UKIP has self-imploded. More soft Brexiteers than soft Brexit.

The country split nearly 50-50 in the referendum vote so no one should be surprised that our MPs are equally divided today, especially as now we have to face the reality rather than just dream dreams with Nigel and Boris. Stay at home if you want, spoil your ballot paper if it makes you feel better; I will be going out to vote in whatever way I hope can have the most impact. Even better would be a vote in Parliament to revoke Article 50 to give our Brexit government a chance to finally and belatedly develop a proper exit plan. Brexit is like Communism – works great in theory, not so fabulous in reality.

zinger
    Participant

Makes you think.

Britain voted to withdraw from the EU by 51.9% to 48.1%.

Wales voted for devolution by 50.3% to 49.7%. 3,999 spoilt ballot papers

Not a lot of difference really.

Matt
    Participant

Zing have you any idea why were the ballots spoilt? Because they didn’t think the Devolution went far enough?

Or because perversely people wanted to be kept under the cosh of the English? & that we shouldn’t have any say or powers whatsoever.

To be fair the absolute % of spoiled ballots was minimal vs the total votes cast. But the fact that it was only a 50% voter turnout is shameful. Wrexham having the lowest turnout of all.

Sheefag
    Participant

[quote quote=167156]…Or because perversely people wanted to be kept under the cosh of the English? [/quote]

That ‘Cosh of the English’ which is an odd name for the vast amounts of money that flow from England to Wales, is the only thing that makes the Principality economically viable.

You have a Welsh parliament that has proven that Welsh politicians can’t even run a hospital, let alone a country.

Stop blaming others and for the first time in your life, take some responsibility, you imbecile.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=167157]

Stop blaming others and for the first time in your life, take some responsibility, you imbecile.[/quote]

Oh what responsibility would you like me to take oh Ad Hominemous Anonymous one?

I have just about as much responsibility as you – which amounts to exchanging petty jibes on a small town internet forum.

Councillor X
    Participant

Matt and Shefag fighting in the early hours. I bet they live in the same HMO with lots of shouting and banging on walls.

Massive difference between Welsh devolution and Brex-it is that we voted and it happened! No call for a second referendum because the losers didn’t like the result.

Get some sleep now lads and see you at Wethers later!

Sheefag
    Participant

If Matt ever manages to monetise that left wing chip on his shoulder, he’ll wind up a very rich man.

zinger
    Participant

Just a cotton pickin’ minute Councillor. The Welsh devolution referendum was the 2nd referendum.

And Matt, possibly 3,999 spoilt papers were in disgust that the 1st referendum result was not upheld when the result was 4 to 1 against the first time round. The 2nd time around it got through by only 6,721 votes.

We none of us know the real reasons why people vote the way they do. It is only guesswork on all sides.

I do know that in North of Wales we depend heavily on the other side of the border for our healthcare.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News