Drink and drug abuse around the town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Drink and drug abuse around the town

• Author

Interested
    Participant

I disagree Locallad a lot of the people you see around the town are local.

Some of the guys around the town have been knocking about for years, some I know from my school days. Bottom line it is right that support is provided but the abuser needs to be open to help. Sadly this is where it all falls flat.

Travis Bickle
    Participant

Two certain individuals have probably cost hundreds of thousands of pounds between them in terms of rehab, court costs, imprisonment and social workers – yet BOTH these middle aged Men “continue” to harass passers-by for spare change etc. Obviously they don’t WANT the proper help.

Interested
    Participant

@Travis Bickle 15441 wrote:

Two certain individuals have probably cost hundreds of thousands of pounds between them in terms of rehab, court costs, imprisonment and social workers – yet BOTH these middle aged Men “continue” to harass passers-by for spare change etc. Obviously they don’t WANT the proper help.

Unfortunately you are right Travis, but it’s what the authorities can do about it. It is just draining the funds and resources that are there with the knock on effect of the service possibly being diminished for those who are open for help. But you can’t just forget about them or lock them away. Somehow you have to hope that the support workers get through to them. Whichever way you look at it the problem wont go away.

99DylanJones
    Participant

There is also a brader social issue and that is many of these individuals will have family wh for a variety of reasons can no longer support/tolerate the behaviour of their relative. Perhaps the ‘system’ needs to support family members to be able to be part of the solution even though this must be incredibly difficult to see a loved one go down such a slippery slope.

Katia
    Participant

Now the evenings are drawing in a walk through town on dark cold rainy nights after work often brings contact with recognisable street people.
    Whether they are genuinely homeless, living on the streets of Wrexham in doorways or covering up under a duvet in a skip, one thing for sure, everybody that walks by should be grateful they don’t have to live that life.
    I have never felt threatened, have never been aggressively hassled or witnessed this happening to others. Maybe I am lucky.
    No doubt some would like them to wear a bandage rag around their head, an iron ball chain and carry a pork pie like Abel Magwitch.
    They are all human beings that few of us know the lives they lived, or can know what will become of them.
    I certainly don’t begrudge them their soup, hot drinks, biscuits and am heartened to know they can benefit from this. Lets hope this continues.

We mustn’t tar everybody with the same brush, completely separately there are groups of anti-social can swillers, dope fiends, and God knows what else roaming about, discarding needles and depositing human downloads and relieving themselves in shop doorways and alleys, not to mention projectile vomit puddles. Not sure what the solution to them will be but ASBO it isn’t.

Think about it.

Simon
    Participant

People smoke weed freely around Acton. Even mixing with off-duty coppers in the Bookies, shops etc.
    The amount of smack deals going on around there is more worrying. People sitting on the wall like little birds waiting to be fed. People drawing up on bikes & cars. Quick handshakes….and N.A.S.A Control we have lift off!!! Chester Street, the Guild Hall and Waterworld make up Wrexham’s ‘Golden Triangle’. It’s so obvious to see what’s going on.

I suppose it’s the same in every city and town.

DR
    Participant

We have Inspector Paul Wycherley coming to Wrexham.com to do a live webchat on Friday 17th – if anyone wants to leave any questions on this particular subject then feel free to leave them below!

There will be a separate thread set up for questions in the next few days if there are any other questions you would like to ask.

jok
    Participant

My favourite street person is Mark Prandle. He often asks me for money. When I think he needs it I give him some. I must stress that he does not beg. When he is weak he asks me for a taxi to wherever he needs to go, he gives me what money he has on him and promises to pay the balance when he next sees me, he never does. The next time I see him he apologises and promises to pay me next time and gives me a hug. He keeps telling me he is going into rehabilitation, I hope he gets there, I really do. Good luck Mark xx

justjojo2011
    Participant

It has been happening in Maesydre around the PowerHouse for years.

In terms of smoking weed, all those new houses they are building on Kingsmills Road on the old Hightown Flats site? They are built by people who smoke weed on their way to work. How do I know? Because I’ve had to walk behind them taking my son to school in a morning.

I was waiting for my fella on Monger Road a couple of weeks ago, I had a midwife appointment and had left my phone behind so he ran back to get it. A young man, early 20’s walked past me smoking a joint…. with a toddler in tow.

If you’ve ever been in the bus station between 8 and 8:30am, you’ll have seen the students from the army college about.. guess how many of them smoke weed in and around the bus station?

And my personal favourite.. someone smoking weed going into the shop in the bus station to the point where my then 5 year old walked in perfectly fine and had a personality transplant in a split second after breathing in the second hand weed smoke.

Unfortunately, this is a world we live in right now. The majority of users will do so in privacy and generally don’t cause any problems but the ones that don’t, they are the ones causing the problems here… like snorting their cocaine from the window sill in the bus station at half 8 in the morning and no one actually moves them on.

I for one am not going to make an assumption as to what is taking place. I wonder how many times someone has seen me give my fella money for the bus and thought I was giving him something else?

Unfortunately, these things happen everywhere and any town or city that says that it doesn’t is telling lies.

@Simon 15589 wrote:

People smoke weed freely around Acton. Even mixing with off-duty coppers in the Bookies, shops etc.
    The amount of smack deals going on around there is more worrying. People sitting on the wall like little birds waiting to be fed. People drawing up on bikes & cars. Quick handshakes….and N.A.S.A Control we have lift off!!! Chester Street, the Guild Hall and Waterworld make up Wrexham’s ‘Golden Triangle’. It’s so obvious to see what’s going on.

I suppose it’s the same in every city and town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News