Drink and drug abuse around the town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Drink and drug abuse around the town

• Author

Adam
    Participant

Story in today’s Leader concerning the kids playground in Rhosddu.

The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – ‘Protect our children’ call over drink and drugs in park

Anecdotally my own perception is that this has become more of an issue across the town centre over the past few months but it would be interesting to hear thoughts of others.

I was chatting to some Guild Hall workers during the fine weather in the summer and I asked if they had their lunch outside on Llwyn Isaf. Their response was “..no chance, we’re too scared“. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when council workers don’t feel safe to enjoy the green space outside the administrative centre for the entire county.

Rondetto
    Participant

I walked past the Rhosddu playground this morning and saw several junkies
    using in the park. I don’t know the amount of times the police pass there but they never appear to go in and move them on, or even arrest them.

missmarple
    Participant

My husband and I were walking our dog last night and there were 3 drunks hidden behind Ebenezer Chapel on Chester Street. Perhaps they were also taking drugs – we didn’t stop to find out. We then walked around Llwyn Isaf where there were large groups of youths surrounded by litter, playing ball games and playing loud music. It was grim…..:(

Rondetto
    Participant

Last week I took a short cut from Chester street into the butter market, the one where Mr Anwar trades. In the alley leading to the entrance I spotted a few
    needles(Syringes)
    Pity this goes on and I worry in case children pick them up.

justjojo2011
    Participant

One thing we need to remember in terms of drink and drug misuses is that it does not stop or start with Wrexham alone. In fact, this is an international issue. It happens all over the world. In terms of syringes, I do agree that sometimes where they end up can be very serious if in the hands of children or any vulnerable person. Wrexham Council has a street scene team who’s role includes cleaning up any needles. It is recommended that you do NOT pick them up yourselves.

Whilst public concern is completely understandable, I have to wonder if this is the best course of action in dealing with the issue?

JaneJ
    Participant

Remember it is often not a lifestyle choice to be a substance abuser but one that is caused through other issues for the individual. Cleaning a street is only a cover up to what really should be done which is appropriate help and support from Social Care, Health and Families.
    Unfortunately many of the people you see around town have at sometime served in the armed forces and seen active service- should we cast these people on one side when they have served the country.

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

It’s an issue in the Parish Church grounds as well. Druggies actually using drugs right outside a church which is a Mecca for tourists, and more often than not right next to the graves of peoples loved ones. It’s a shocking lack of respect.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Is the Parish Church offering Christian fellowship and help by opening the doors of the church to allow people in this unfortunate state to seek refuge and support– What about the story of the good Samaritan!

locallad
    Participant

The problem being are a lot of these people are not from wxm.They are to well looked after in wxm with all the FREE services that they get.So with all their hard earned benefits they can afford to drink every day from dawn till dusk.Wxm is a disgrace at the moment unfortunately.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Oh dear Locallad doesn’t appear that you have ever spoken to any of the people connected with these problems. I am not against your comment about being a disgrace but lots of these are not from Wxm — is there evidence anywhere for this? Free services- do you also feel that no one should get a food parcel from the Foodbank?
    Perhaps the solution is to stop providing ANY support and these people will move to another town.. Surely a lot of these services are about rehabilitation as well to make them have a person value in themselves to play a part in society.
    This still does not tackle the route cause of how did they get into this position in the first place.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News