Dog Poo and Litter!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Dog Poo and Litter!

• Author

Nen
    Participant

Well, I had my first encounter with the Litter Police!

I accidentally dropped a train ticket receipt (pulling my phone out of my pocket and it came out and fell on the floor without me knowing.

The little Hitler ran up to me and tried to issue a Fine. I tried politely to explain that it was an accident however he didn’t seem to understand this (I guess they are not the sharpest tools in the box) so I used a different approach and assertively shouted “NO!” in his face and walked off briskly. He seemed to understand this better as after a few metres he gave up and moved onto someone else. This is the only language these people understand.

LadyK
    Participant

Personally, I think the easiest and most cost effective way to stem the foul flow of dog mess on the street is to reintroduce Dog Licensing coupled with DNA swabbing at the VETS.

We dog owners cough up a lot of money to keep the little darlings happy and healthy. Therefore the majority of owners would be happy to pay for this procedure at the point of purchase, acquisition or transfer of ownership. From this point on any fines can be issued either on the spot on production of a licence (that should be carried with the owner at all times), or on ID of dog mess. Dogs don’t generally want to do their mess on a pavement or the middle of a field, they need to be trained by their owners. Just like children they can be a little naughty at times and need retraining. As well as the course of action above, the Council should adopt the Green Bins available from StreetKleen.co.uk. The whole issue is so easy to solve.

zinger
    Participant

Common sense should be applied in certain circumstances. I am afraid though, that common sense is in very short supply these days. I spoke to a mature lady a few years ago who had two perfectly well behaved dogs. Whilst picking up poo from the first dog the other dog did the same. Before she had chance to pick up, the Poo Police were onto her with a ticket. She picked up anyway but as others have said, this money came out of her pension. They do tend to target the vulnerable. I am not comfortable with complete strangers asking children & pensioners for names & addresses much as I hate litterbugs.

LadyK
    Participant

It seems to me that the only way to avoid that situation is to tape a small bag to the pooch’s bum, which is ridiculous. If that happened to me I’d try the NO. The Kingdom Security Firm seem to have a Nazi approach which is n’t what the taxpayers wanted. According to Rob, the patrol can’t issue tickets to Children as they are under 18, however some pensioners are less than vulnerable and more like rebellious teenagers. There needs to be a balanced approach. Tickets should only be issued if there is no willingness to pick up.

Dragon
    Participant

People who drop litter on our streets and allow their dogs to foul our walkways without picking it up deserve all they get, well done Wrexham council .

Katia
    Participant

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 87 re: Offence of leaving litter.
    Note the wording – leaving litter. This must be why if somebody retrieves their litter when challenged there should be no offence ?

Note also from the Vale Of Glamorgan trial pdf note the contrasting emphasis of litter penalties compared to dog fouling.

6. XFOR needed to issue a minimum of 50 FPNs per week, in order to support their business model. This resulted in them targeting the most prevalent and easy to detect offences of ‘smoking related’ litter. Whilst assurances were given by XFOR’s senior management that once their officers had reached the minimum number of FPN’s they were available to carry any patrols as directed by the Council, there remained a disproportionate focus on smoking related litter in high footfall areas such as town centres, Llandough Hospital car park and retail parks.

During the trial the actual VPNs issued were Litter 1655 ( earning £89716 ) vs Dog Fouling 10 ( earning £450 ).

It seems these “wardens” do not have the power to detain people, and their training guidelines typically suggest they should refrain from chasing people but should inform them efforts will be made to trace them.
    It could be having an actual human doing this job is an interim measure, why risk injury catching litter bugs when all they are doing is monitoring and obtaining video evidence. In Dubai for instance this is carried out by remote operated drones.
    At this point maybe we should consider whether we really should go down the path of Orwellian monitoring and prosecution – with zero tolerance thrown in. All we need to do is combine with artificial intelligence to be on the brink of T1000s stomping along Henblas Street terminating us for next to nothing.

graham1369
    Participant

How ridiculous. Economically insane, practically unworkable. It’ll raise no money and achieve even less! Except making somebody who lives miles from Wrexham a few Bob. Hold on haven’t we seen this before on Wrexham….

Sheefag
    Participant

So, will they stalk the Friday/Saturday late night takeaway outlets or stick with Wrexham’s honest punters and Pensioners?

One is a target rich environment at the heart of the problem which comes with a rich side serving of ‘Robust Debate’, the other being generally law-abiding, ‘Low Hanging Fruit’.

Graham’s analysis above is literally right on the money.

wrexview
    Participant

Interesting post Katia, so should Kingdom Enforememt Wardens be following people using a car , park it on yellow lines as they proceeded to search business premises in Wrexham in pursuit of an “offender”?

zinger
    Participant

There are a couple of zero tolerance approaches that I would agree with. One is flytipping, the other and I expect that Joe Public would pay in the end, is the druggies who leave the products of their abuse lying around. I don’t suppose for one minute that either group would be targeted.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News