do our local labour representatives support corbyn

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum do our local labour representatives support corbyn

• Author

al simm
    Participant

Skates,Jones,Lucas and Griffiths.. does anybody know if they support Corbyn(the leader of their party) and if they dont,should they be getting behind them.

TimRegency
    Participant

They certainly should. The members voted overwhelmingly two times for Corbyn as leader. He then held May to a hung Parliament in the 2017 General Election, in spite of polls and a tidal wave of media hostility.

If any of these AMs and MPs feel more at home in the Tory or Liberal Democrat parties, they should go and join them.

To not do so is to block democracy. It’s saying ‘you can have any colour party you like, as long as it’s blue.’

We don’t vote Labour in order to get Tory.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=169440]They certainly should. The members voted overwhelmingly two times for Corbyn as leader. He then held May to a hung Parliament in the 2017 General Election, in spite of polls and a tidal wave of media hostility.

If any of these AMs and MPs feel more at home in the Tory or Liberal Democrat parties, they should go and join them.

To not do so is to block democracy. It’s saying ‘you can have any colour party you like, as long as it’s blue.’

We don’t vote Labour in order to get Tory.[/quote]

Most of these new members are mostly young people who were promised sweeties by Corbyn which is why they joined the PLP, 80% of Labour MP,S don’t want Corbyn and he will never get elected as PM because traditional labour voters will not vote Labour whilst he is the leader, and I say this as a life long Labour Voter.

TimRegency
    Participant

That might still fool some people if we just pretend that the 2017 General Election result never happened.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

It is a long tradition that a good number of MPs or AMs cannot stand the current leader of their party. The historical strength of the Labour and Conservative parties is that they are coalitions, however, that inevitably means some of them disagree with whichever wing of the party has the leader at any one time. I don’t recall Corbyn getting behind Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, John Smith or Neil Kinnock. So far he has been sensible enough not to require of others what he never offered himself. Of course, his lackies have been quick to demand oaths of loyalty from some MPs as if the Labour Party is some medieval order or religious sect.

al simm
    Participant

Hi MP1953,
    I agree that 80% of the PLP are anti corbyn(and it appears after a bit of research that all of our local representatives are) but the rank and file and the country in general support him and his policies.It’s a question of addressing the importnat issues,and the next election will pivot on the preservation of the NHS and the public sector two things Boris Johnson wants to get rid of.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=169486]Hi MP1953,
    I agree that 80% of the PLP are anti corbyn(and it appears after a bit of research that all of our local representatives are) but the rank and file and the country in general support him and his policies.It’s a question of addressing the importnat issues,and the next election will pivot on the preservation of the NHS and the public sector two things Boris Johnson wants to get rid of.[/quote]

I don’t think you are correct virtually all my friends and acquaintances have been Labour voters for all their lives, but would now not vote labour because of Corbyns extreme policies, he would have been a great leader 50 or 60 years ago, but to re-nationalise everything these days would not work, but of course we may be wrong and he is voted in as the next PM at the next general election.

al simm
    Participant

Hi MP1953,
    Interesting points made but anyone who has voted labour since 1997(new labour) where actually voting for a far right tory party,which is basically what the new labour experiment was.Blair extended all of the thatcherite policies ad infinitum.

Matt
    Participant

We can all post anecdotal evidence about how all of our friends and family do or don’t vote Labour these days but it will count for nothing to put any conclusive points across.

The only proof in the pudding will be on an Election Day where people do or don’t put a cross next to the local Labour candidate & the local Lab MPs retain their seat.

I remember the polling prediction data last election stated that with 99% certainty Atkinson was going to turn the Wrexham seat Tory. Turned out to be bullshit.

People who are disenfranchised seem to be overly vocal about their lack of support for Labour. Whereas the silent majority usually make up the most votes in town.

We shall see where we stand

al simm
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    Wrexham has become a marginalised seat and it was very definately the corbyn effect that got Ian lucas back into office in the last election,otherwise it would for the first time in it’s history gone over to the tories.
    I personally think labour would landslide,especially if we get an election this year.And dont the tories know that!!so unless we see even greater deterioration within the tory ranks,I cant see an election being called before 2022,once brexit is out the way the tories will put up their traditional united front…pity labour couldn’t do that now.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News